'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

163,321 to 163,340 of 166,768 messages
20/05/2013 at 11:09

TE, yes - you need to register and print your barcode http://www.parkrun.org.uk/register/

Matsmum - K is super-speedy 

Well done on your 10 miles Columba. I've been doing the daily running, but no longer distances. Maximum has been around 6.

20/05/2013 at 15:16

Gunk quotient high today with my peak flow just scraping above 200 and I sound like an asthmatic old woman - oh, that's exactly what I am isn't it?!

Day 30 - 5.92 miles with some hill reps thrown in to make me wheeze even more! I refuse to let the gunk interfere with my running challenge.

Total mileage so far 202.48 

20/05/2013 at 17:29

Red, thanks for your "well done." Well done to you too, for continuing your running streak and not letting the gunk stand in your way.

Diana, thanks for the link, I will register. I've discovered that my Garmin didn't lose the satellites. What happened was that somehow, I had set it up to do 3 laps of 1 mile, with .25 mile recoveries. It then switched off. This is what happened during this mornings 6 mile recovery run. I immediately switched it back on, and didn't loose any data. I've switched off the intervals, so hopefully it will be ok for my next run.

21/05/2013 at 10:18

Morning all,

OK, it's official; there are not enough hours in the day!  Only just getting out for my run having been up since 5:30am 

21/05/2013 at 13:15

Run done.  Breathing still laboured.  Day 31, 5.66 miles on an undulating/hilly route.  Total mileage so far 208.14 - average miles per day 6.71 and still feeling OK (touch wood).  Only 80 more days to go..............

Edited: 21/05/2013 at 13:15
21/05/2013 at 17:51

Sounds like an epic Readhead!

Good 10k there TE, and v. impressive WAVA ranking

21/05/2013 at 17:53

Red, 80 more days to go, that sounds tough!

Diana, I have registered now for park runs and have my barcode. Hope to see you on Saturday. I'm doing the Wilverley RR10 tomorrow evening.

Decided not to go to club this evening, as my legs are a bit stiff after Sundays 10k race, and the session is Kenyan Hills. I don't want to pull any muscles, as the SDM is fast approaching. I ran 4 miles very slowly, and by the last mile, my legs had loosened up. The Garmin worked perfectly, but I didn't wear the heart monitor, as the constant bleeping with "heart rate low," would have driven me mad. I know you can turn the alarms off, but I didn't want to tinker around with it. I would never wear an hrm in races, as I believe they would be distracting.

21/05/2013 at 17:56

00 50, our posts crossed. Thanks, that was my fastest 10k for 12 years. I'm hoping to get a WAVA of 80 later this year in the Lordshill 10k.

21/05/2013 at 21:14

I have just recovered from the weekend with the grandchildren, Couldn't move properly for two days after an afternoon of tree climbing and football.

TE
A great run. Many congrats. The age grading is top class stuff.

Columba
As many people come last as come first. It's an exclusive group.

Matsmum
K did very well indeed. That's almost exactly 7 minute miling.
JJ

21/05/2013 at 21:29

JJ, thanks for that. I have trained really hard this year and am beginning to "reap the fruits of my labour!" I feel much of the improvement is also through representing the club in league and cross country races, endeavouring to gain as many points as possible. There are 3 or 4 us who are fairly evenly matched, so in races, we are racing against each other, as well as the other racers.   Well done to you climbing trees at your age.

21/05/2013 at 22:23

Red - well done on continuing streak, especially when contending with the gunk factor.

X-C with the running club tonight. We were told we'd only be doing 4 miles, as a lot of us had done the 10 miles on Sunday and many would also be doing 5k tomorrow.

However, in the event we did over 6.

22/05/2013 at 09:22

Columba, your training is going well. Were the conditions "more friendly" than the last cc you ran? 

22/05/2013 at 12:27

My WAVA was in the 80's for a brief spell last year TE but these it's mid 70's as my form has slipped. Fastest for 12 years must be a really great feeling.

I've got a heavy cold at the minute, so no running here.  

22/05/2013 at 15:10

Afternoon all,

Horrid day.  Esther is stuck back on box rest as she's showing signs of laminitis - only slightly hot in her hoofs but showing a bit of discomfort so I'm trying to pre-empt further issues.  Mike's still in pain form his shoulder and getting fractious.  The cat's got the squits.  I had massive leg cramps in both calfs last night for which I'm blaming my medication which has been adjusted to include a hayfever remedy and increased dose of asthma stuff.

As a result of the above nonsense, day 32 was a very uncomfortable 5.59 miles along what felt like mountainous lanes, which were really just undulating/hilly, on a dismal afternoon.  Can't be bothered to add the miles to my total today as I'm so fed up.  Normal cheerfulness will be resumed later 

Even the beautiful wild flowers in the hedgerow didn't lift my mood so I'm going into the garden to attack some weeds 

22/05/2013 at 15:11

Sorry, I forgot to say get well soon to 00!

22/05/2013 at 15:48

Not a brilliant day chez Redhead - hope things are on the up again soon.

Impressive cross-training JJ

I'll look out for you tonight and on Saturday TE. My daughter has signed up for the parkrun, but can't make it to this RR10.

I've done some cross-training myself, with weeding of the broad bean rows and a start omn weeding the spinach beet at the allotment.

22/05/2013 at 19:41

'lo all

Where's the sun gone? Haven't seen it for days.

TE
I climb trees because I'm convinced I'm the oldest teenager in the business.

Redhead
Weeds are doing very well at the moment.
Ever grown an Albizia? I bought one for £1 from Notcutts. It was reduced from from £19:99

OO-50
The Wava age grading statistics are reasonably accurate (moderated by statisticians to check for anomalies) so if your age grading drops you are likely to be training to a lower standard.
JJ

22/05/2013 at 20:07

Oooooh, not familiar with Albizia JJ but it looks gorgeous!  Looking at the leaves I wondered if it's in the same genus as mimosa?  I did grow a mimosa tree (with the fluffy yellow flowers) in a pot in our very sheltered courtyard in London. Always worth a punt for such a great reduction.

Feeling happier now I've hacked back some weeds   Poor Esther is neighing her little heart out each time Kizzy goes out of view.  Hopefully she'll only have to stay inside for a few days - I've ordered her a grazing muzzle which I think might help, even though it looks like an instrument of torture!

22/05/2013 at 21:10

JJ - What I want to know is, what on earth were you and Mrs JJ doing climbing trees and playing football when you should have been looking after the grandchildren?

Oh Red, everything always seems to happen at once, doesn't it. It must really have tested your resolve to get out there and do those miles.

OO - a cold, or those birch trees giving you trouble?  Or the fields of rapeseed? Loads of people are suffering at the moment. Get better soon.

OH has crippled his back, walking backwards and tripping over the Puffin sandpit, landing heavily on a malevolent stone bunny with pointy ears. There has to be a lesson in there somewhere.

Yes, K was speedy in that 5k race. She thought she had gone faster because her garmin had said under 7 every time she checked. Ofcourse it wasn't chip timing and she was at the back of the runners crossing the line, so it is possible she was faster than the result might suggest.

Off to deliver painkillers and TLC . No, not to the stone bunny, JJ. To my poor OH.

Night, everyone.

23/05/2013 at 08:48

00 50, yes it's a great feeling to be running faster now than 12 years ago. I'm sure your pace will pick up again, once your cold has cleared up.

Red, sorry you are going through a bad patch, but I'm sure you'll soon bounce back.

Diana, good to see you again at the Wiverley RR10 last night. It was a tough course wasn't it. We had a very good club turn out, I think we had 41 altogether. I wish we could have had better turn outs for the HRRL races, as we struggled to get a complete "B" men's team, for almost all the races. I'm looking forward now to the Brockenhurst Park Run, which will be my first.

Matsmum, hope your OH soon recovers from his fall. I wonder why he was walking backwards.

Last nights race was on a completely new course, and we were warned that the entire race would be in the Inclosure, and there would be lots of hazards. The mud wasn't too bad, but I think the long steep hills caused the most problems to runners. My hill work stood me in good stead and I was able to attack on the hills. About half way through, we had to manoeuvre over or around a fallen tree. I chose to put one foot on it and then step down. I think many ran round it. My time was 37.07 and the distance 4.67 miles. My mile splits were unbelievably consistent, considering the up and down nature of the course. They were :- 7.53, 7.53, 7.53,8.12 and 5.14 for the last .67 of a mile, which is 7.51 pace.

Tonight is a club social run in the forest, meeting up for drinks afterwards.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.