'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

163,321 to 163,340 of 165,813 messages
19/05/2013 at 20:51

It's those wings and vibes you keep handing out, Matsmum. Worked for TE, worked for me, evidently worked for K too! Congratulations, K.

Brilliant time and age-grading, TE!  And you're absolutely right about running clubs. But of course, they've got to be friendly. Cliquey ones are probably worse than useless. Yes indeed, I got a burst of applause as I tottered under the "Finish" sign.

19/05/2013 at 21:35

Many, many congratulations TE - fantastic result! As you say, your training is paying dividends. Shame about the lost satellite signal. My garmin is pretty good.

JJ, I've also spotted mixed seasons, as one of my runs has both primroses and bluebells flowering together - very pretty. Hope you're not complelely worn out after looking after 3 grandchildren.

Well done on the first triathlon of the year BIW.

Red, I use the Avon 'Skin so Soft' dry oil spray. I think the original perfume is meant to be most effective. We have an Avon rep in our road, but I'm sure they have on-line sales too.

Have now completed my 5 x 50 challenge, but have been busy as I am involved in getting a Parkrun launched in Brockenhurst. Inaugural run next Saturday!

19/05/2013 at 21:58

Thanks Matsmum and well done to K, a very fast time.

Columba, you're right about clubs needing to be friendly. I joined one that wasn't a few years ago and left after a couple of years. I raced in the club vest, but didn't go to club sessions.

Thanks Diana, I think I must have set up my Garmin incorrectly, as nobody else that I spoke to had lost their signal. My old Garmin, which was a 205, never lost its signal, even in the forest. Well done on completing your 5 x 50 challenge. I will probably take part in the Brockenhurst Park Run on Saturday. I have never done one before, and believe that I have to register, to enable me to enter all Park Runs? 

20/05/2013 at 06:48

Morning all,

Well what a good lot of racers!  Well done to Columba, TE and little K for producing great times on a hot day 

Diana, yep, you can get Avon on-line.  Good luck with your Parkrun.

TE, I joined the Senlac Arrows and they were fab but they merged with another club which was very cliquey and too far away and so I left.

Columba, you missed a word out between pygmy and laurel - pygmy weed is a very invasive water plant which is clogging up our waterways after people have dumped it from their garden ponds for that very reason! (if you scroll down the page on my blog you can see a ditch filled with another invasive species - Fairy Moss http://www.extremeknittingredhead.blogspot.co.uk/2007/07/my-50th-birthday-challenge-is-complete.html).  Laurel I'm sure you'll know, but in case you don't it's got big leathery leaves and like Rhodo ponticum it was planted by landowners as ground cover for game birds but it ended up shading out all our wonderful native forest flowers.

A run in the rain for me today.

20/05/2013 at 11:09

TE, yes - you need to register and print your barcode http://www.parkrun.org.uk/register/

Matsmum - K is super-speedy 

Well done on your 10 miles Columba. I've been doing the daily running, but no longer distances. Maximum has been around 6.

20/05/2013 at 15:16

Gunk quotient high today with my peak flow just scraping above 200 and I sound like an asthmatic old woman - oh, that's exactly what I am isn't it?!

Day 30 - 5.92 miles with some hill reps thrown in to make me wheeze even more! I refuse to let the gunk interfere with my running challenge.

Total mileage so far 202.48 

20/05/2013 at 17:29

Red, thanks for your "well done." Well done to you too, for continuing your running streak and not letting the gunk stand in your way.

Diana, thanks for the link, I will register. I've discovered that my Garmin didn't lose the satellites. What happened was that somehow, I had set it up to do 3 laps of 1 mile, with .25 mile recoveries. It then switched off. This is what happened during this mornings 6 mile recovery run. I immediately switched it back on, and didn't loose any data. I've switched off the intervals, so hopefully it will be ok for my next run.

21/05/2013 at 10:18

Morning all,

OK, it's official; there are not enough hours in the day!  Only just getting out for my run having been up since 5:30am 

21/05/2013 at 13:15

Run done.  Breathing still laboured.  Day 31, 5.66 miles on an undulating/hilly route.  Total mileage so far 208.14 - average miles per day 6.71 and still feeling OK (touch wood).  Only 80 more days to go..............

Edited: 21/05/2013 at 13:15
21/05/2013 at 17:51

Sounds like an epic Readhead!

Good 10k there TE, and v. impressive WAVA ranking

21/05/2013 at 17:53

Red, 80 more days to go, that sounds tough!

Diana, I have registered now for park runs and have my barcode. Hope to see you on Saturday. I'm doing the Wilverley RR10 tomorrow evening.

Decided not to go to club this evening, as my legs are a bit stiff after Sundays 10k race, and the session is Kenyan Hills. I don't want to pull any muscles, as the SDM is fast approaching. I ran 4 miles very slowly, and by the last mile, my legs had loosened up. The Garmin worked perfectly, but I didn't wear the heart monitor, as the constant bleeping with "heart rate low," would have driven me mad. I know you can turn the alarms off, but I didn't want to tinker around with it. I would never wear an hrm in races, as I believe they would be distracting.

21/05/2013 at 17:56

00 50, our posts crossed. Thanks, that was my fastest 10k for 12 years. I'm hoping to get a WAVA of 80 later this year in the Lordshill 10k.

21/05/2013 at 21:14

I have just recovered from the weekend with the grandchildren, Couldn't move properly for two days after an afternoon of tree climbing and football.

TE
A great run. Many congrats. The age grading is top class stuff.

Columba
As many people come last as come first. It's an exclusive group.

Matsmum
K did very well indeed. That's almost exactly 7 minute miling.
JJ

21/05/2013 at 21:29

JJ, thanks for that. I have trained really hard this year and am beginning to "reap the fruits of my labour!" I feel much of the improvement is also through representing the club in league and cross country races, endeavouring to gain as many points as possible. There are 3 or 4 us who are fairly evenly matched, so in races, we are racing against each other, as well as the other racers.   Well done to you climbing trees at your age.

21/05/2013 at 22:23

Red - well done on continuing streak, especially when contending with the gunk factor.

X-C with the running club tonight. We were told we'd only be doing 4 miles, as a lot of us had done the 10 miles on Sunday and many would also be doing 5k tomorrow.

However, in the event we did over 6.

22/05/2013 at 09:22

Columba, your training is going well. Were the conditions "more friendly" than the last cc you ran? 

22/05/2013 at 12:27

My WAVA was in the 80's for a brief spell last year TE but these it's mid 70's as my form has slipped. Fastest for 12 years must be a really great feeling.

I've got a heavy cold at the minute, so no running here.  

22/05/2013 at 15:10

Afternoon all,

Horrid day.  Esther is stuck back on box rest as she's showing signs of laminitis - only slightly hot in her hoofs but showing a bit of discomfort so I'm trying to pre-empt further issues.  Mike's still in pain form his shoulder and getting fractious.  The cat's got the squits.  I had massive leg cramps in both calfs last night for which I'm blaming my medication which has been adjusted to include a hayfever remedy and increased dose of asthma stuff.

As a result of the above nonsense, day 32 was a very uncomfortable 5.59 miles along what felt like mountainous lanes, which were really just undulating/hilly, on a dismal afternoon.  Can't be bothered to add the miles to my total today as I'm so fed up.  Normal cheerfulness will be resumed later 

Even the beautiful wild flowers in the hedgerow didn't lift my mood so I'm going into the garden to attack some weeds 

22/05/2013 at 15:11

Sorry, I forgot to say get well soon to 00!

22/05/2013 at 15:48

Not a brilliant day chez Redhead - hope things are on the up again soon.

Impressive cross-training JJ

I'll look out for you tonight and on Saturday TE. My daughter has signed up for the parkrun, but can't make it to this RR10.

I've done some cross-training myself, with weeding of the broad bean rows and a start omn weeding the spinach beet at the allotment.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.