'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

163,341 to 163,360 of 167,167 messages
23/05/2013 at 09:11

Morning all,

Great running again TE!

Matsmum, oh no, not your OH as well.  Mine has a history of back problems so I hope yours recovers quickly.

Diana, excellent cross-training 

Been ministering to the poorly hubby who's pain turned acute last night and we hardly slept a wink as a result.  Painkillers didn't touch the pain at all but he finally drifted off to sleep through exhaustion.  I can't believe he's got another trapped nerve - it's so difficult to find the source and treat and I'm afraid he's got more pain to come before we finally get rid of it.  He's got another session with Mary on Tuesday but there's no point going to  Physio yet as his shoulder is too gummed up (although Mary has loosened it somewhat) and his pain is too strong at the moment 

I haven't been out for my run yet as I want to wait until he's awake.

Esther seems to have settled into her spell of incarceration and Tinker is fine again 

23/05/2013 at 09:53

Red - oh dear, oh dear, my thoughts are with you - and hubby - and Esther (what does a grazing muzzle do, BTW?)

Matsmum - you too, - what lesson do you think should be learned from it? "Don't walk backwards" or "put the stone bunny somewhere inaccessible and replace with a foam-rubber one"?

OO - hope that cold goes soon. Late spring seems to be a bad time for colds.

TE - yes thank you, Tuesday's X-C was much pleasanter than the previous week's, - much much pleasanter - sunshine, warm but not too warm, bluebells, wood anemones and lots of other spring wild flowers.

Yesterday evening I took two (home-made) cakes to the leisure centre to contribute to festivities following the 2nd of 3 5k races organised by the running club. I didn't race (still feeling the effects of 10 hilly miles on Sunday plus Tuesday's x-c). Might do the third one in a few weeks' time.

JJ - LOL at the "oldest teenager in the business". A friend of mine once described me as "the oldest hippie in town". Bit unfair, just because I was wearing something vaguely ethnic.

23/05/2013 at 13:34

Columba, the grazing muzzle will reduce her intake of grass by about 70% because there is just one small hole that she can eat through.  I'll stick a photo of it on my blog next time I update it - it looks like an instrument of torture and I'm not sure how she'll take to it!  

She gets so upset when she has to be shut away that I thought it would be worth a try so that she'll be able to stay out with Kizzy.  It never used to be a problem as I used to be able to restrict their grazing together to keep weight off them both but now Kizzy is really old I spend all my time trying to keep the weight on her.

Day 33 was 5.57 miles on the treddy, rather than in the torrential rain we've got here.  I did 2 miles warm-up then 10 x .1 mile @ 8 min miling with .1 mile recs then 1.57 miles cooldown.  My breathing recovered quickly inbetween the fast bits which was promising.

23/05/2013 at 13:43

Get well vibes to both Matsmum's and Red's other halves.

TE, brilliantly even splits. Mine a more an illustration of what not to do (start too fast and get progressively slower). However, I did finish just over half way up the field again and managed to pick up the pace for the last .67 of a mile.

Columba, I may do some baking this afternoon, as smaller grandson is over and loves to help with it.

23/05/2013 at 20:56

matsmum
MrsJJ does not climb trees. She has to reassure passers by that I'm not dangerous.

Falling on a stone rabbit with pointy ears doesn't bear thinking about.

Redhead
Hope you both can recover as quickly as the problems arrived. 

TE
Your time was worth about 48:30 for 10k. Very good considering the terrain.
JJ

23/05/2013 at 22:21

Went swimming.

Red, it seems extraordinary that horses can get overweight just living on grass. But I do understand about being able to digest cellulose, which we can't.

Good that your breathing recovered quickly between fast bursts.

Are the suffering OHs still suffering?

24/05/2013 at 09:30

JJ, thanks for that. That would have been a very good time for a full 10k on that course.

Red, I've just received my entry pack for the SDM and thought you would be interested in the revised programme. When you  ran it there were several waves, with the fastest starting in the last one. They have now decided, to avoid the bunching where the faster runners catch up with the first waves, to just have two waves, the relay first, and the main marathon runners in the second. There is no mention of I pods being forbidden, and I was wondering whether it would be a good idea to wear one. I have never worn one in a race before, but am envisaging running for miles, totally lost, and just some music to keep me company. They have also included maps to study, and advised that if in doubt at cross roads to keep heading west. Do we need to carry a compass? 

Last nights club social run went well. We all drove out to the Shatterford Car Park and did a 5.45 mile run in the forest. A few of us ran the hills hard, which is good training for me. We then retired to the near by pub for a refreshing pint of shandy.

A rest day today, and the Brockenhurst 5k Park Run tomorrow.

24/05/2013 at 13:14

Columba, being overweight is more dangerous for horses than being underweight as it puts too much pressure on their hooves.  This can lead to a rotation of the pedal bone and/or problems with the coffin bone within the hoof causing lameness.   In serious cases the horses have to be put down so it something to keep a careful eye on.  For a horse such as Esther who is what we call 'a good doer' and is of a stocky build naturally you have to be really strict in limiting their grazing.  Plus, like me, she has the added problem of arthritis in one of her forelegs.  Bless her.

TE, the first time I ran it everyone started together then last time it was in waves and there was congestion on some of the tracks through fields.  I don't think the relays runners should start first though.  

My preferred way of solving the problem of congestion is what they do at the Steyning Stinger; they let walkers and slower runners start any time after 8am with the mass start at 9 or 9:15 (can't remember which).  That way us slower runners get to see the speedy peeps running past which gives us a boost but there isn't a great mass of slower runners for the speedy runners to pass.  

I don't remember any ambiguity in the route unless they've changed it so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

I never use an ipod whilst out running as I love to hear the sound of the birds etc.

Day 34 was 5.75 undulating miles in wind, rain and sun!  Total mileage now 225.05 

Mike's shoulder still painful but less so than the other night, thank goodness.  He's getting frustrated with being unable to do anything much.

Have a lovely weekend everyone - oh, and good luck to Diana and TE at your new parkrun.

24/05/2013 at 14:54

Red, thanks for your advice and good luck wishes for tomorrows parkrun. I agree that it's nice to listen to the birds etc. and I hope to be able to run with others and chat from time to time. I pods are anti social and I only wear mine on long runs when I run alone. I will have to reconsider my tactics as I was hoping the faster waves would overtake and help me to speed up. I think I will just run at my own pace and see how it goes. Your running streak is going very well and you will probably exceed 800 miles.

24/05/2013 at 16:55

I must say that I never run with an iPod or similar, though I know people who use long runs to catch up on recorded programmes and podcasts etc.

6.33 forest run today. Over towards you TE; we started at Pig Bush just south of Beaulieu Road station, and got just about as far as the edge of the Dibden Inclosure before looping back. That got me to 100 miles for the month so far - third month running of 100+

Weather has gone downhill since then, and I've needed a scarf and fleece! Forecast for tomorrow at Brockenhurst is better.

Glad to hear Mike is feeling somewhat better Red.

24/05/2013 at 17:18

NRD.

Really cold and windy today. "Trouble is, we can't even blame anyone!" as someone commented to me.

Red - you'd think, with new hips and new knees being available for people, new hooves might be available for horses. But probably they're much too complicated on the inside (pedal bones? coffin bones?)

I don't run with an ipad, either. Largely because I haven't got one.

24/05/2013 at 18:15

I'm blaming global warming on this horrible cold windy weather.

Diana,well done on your 100+ miles. Dibden Inclosure is very close to home. It has been very muddy again there this year. I think it should be ideal conditions tomorrow for the parkrun.

24/05/2013 at 22:33

10 hours rain today. I think it's coming in through the hole in the ozone layer.
JJ

25/05/2013 at 10:26

Morning all,

Thankfully the rain stopped some time during the night and we've got sunshine and it isn't quite as cold (although my legs felt cold when I went for my plod first thing).  6.25 squelchy miles across fields with very wet grass so my legs got soaked and I was very muddy when I got home.  Total miles now 231.30.

Now off to play in the garden, re-organising the herb beds 

25/05/2013 at 15:40

Very cold first thing, but brightened up and warm and sunny for the Brockenhurst 5k Parkrun. This was my first 5k for nearly 12 years, and I had forgotten just how tough they were. Into top speed from the start, and trying to maintain it. Reasonably pleased with my 22.45 and a WAVA of 75.09. I was second male in the 65-70 category and just 9 seconds behind the first. Next time I'll beat him! Consistent mile splits again of 7.31, 7.28, 7.26, 0.19. The race was all on grass, and comprised 4 laps of the College Grounds.

Diana, that first holding of the race was a great success, and I hope it attracts more than the 113 runners for the next one. I'll certainly be back again, and try to recruit more of our club runners. I think some do the Southampton race, which has grown to 400 runners.

Red, well done running through squelchy fields. I'll be doing similar tomorrow, when 3 or 4 of us do a forest run.

25/05/2013 at 16:37

It was nice to see you again TE - we do keep meeting recently! Well done on your 2nd in AG. I came first in mine! This was a first of being first, although it wasn't first among many. My daughter thorougly enjoyed it, and came in in 25:17, so is determined to get under 25 minutes next time. I was very pleased with how it went, and hope it goes from strength to strength. We had 31 runners doing their first ever parkrun, so hopefully more newbies will hear of it and give it a go.

We got very little rain, so having cleaned the water butt and fitted a new tap, we're still waiting for it to fill again.

You're doing so well with your challenge Red!

25/05/2013 at 20:23

Diana, it was nice seeing you again too. Well done on coming first in your age category. You are now the course record holder, and hopefully can hold onto it in future races. Well done to your daughter; is she a fairly new runner?  I will certainly do my best to advertise the race among our club runners. I note that we had the second highest numbers of club member entries, eight in total, the same as your club, so good for a first race.

Edited: 25/05/2013 at 20:27
25/05/2013 at 20:35

TE - yes; you will undoubtedly beat him next time.

Sunny afternoon. Been gardening.

25/05/2013 at 20:58

Columba, thanks for your faith in me. If I had known that the runner who beat me was in the same age category, I would have pushed myself even harder in an attempt to  overtake him. He had run over 100 park runs, and this was my first, so I will put it down to inexperience over the distance and flat surface.

25/05/2013 at 21:46

TE, I can't believe you let someone beat you!  I shall expect you to trounce him next time 

Diana, well done you.  Did you get a prize?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.