'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

163,361 to 163,380 of 166,999 messages
26/05/2013 at 07:43

Red, thanks, I shall hang my head in shame

A nice bright sunny morning, but still a bit cold. Forecast 20 degrees later, so I will wear my cap for this mornings forest run.

26/05/2013 at 17:01

Got persuaded into a longer run than I had anticpated by my daughter this morning. We met in Ashurst, having both run from home, then across the forest to Beaulieu Road station, Denny Lodge, Matley Wood and home - 10 miles! Some while since I last ran that far, and just scraped under 10 minute miling. Family lunch with some wine, and I could not happily nos off!

26/05/2013 at 17:14

Diana, well run, your longer runs will help you get faster in the RR10s and Parkruns. I ran 15 miles in the forest, which will be my last long run before the SDM. I intend doing the Brockenhurst Park Run again on Saturday, and 12 miles on Sunday. The hot sunshine gave me warning of what to expect if it is hot on marathon day, a very tough run

26/05/2013 at 19:41

Lovely day weather-wise.

TE
I could certainly have done 22:45 but not sure I could have done it on grass. Nice to be so near the top of the age group. Very consistent pacing.

Diana
Top of the class. Well done.
JJ

26/05/2013 at 20:16

Diana - a surprise 10 miles, well done! Did you have to cook the lunch as well? - no wonder you felt like nodding off.

TE - I don't envy you the SDM if it's hot. Well, I wouldn't attempt it anyway, hot or cold.

Spent the afternoon gardening, and went for a run early evening when the sun wasn't quite so warm. A hilly 5 and a quarter miles; walked some of the steepest bits, - have run the whole lot before with no walking, don't know if it was the heat affecting me or not yet quite recovered from last week's efforts.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
26/05/2013 at 20:23

Well, our crappy weather continues over here! 2nd triathlon of the season today, it was again freezing cold, windy and didn't stop pelting with rain all day - getting really tired of this. I had a 'mare with the swim, almost missed my wave start, had to jump in at the last second, my goggles weren't seated properly and let in water so I had to adjust them at the end of the first lap. John was in the 2nd wave so was watching me and to my surprise he told me later I wasn't last out - I never looked back to see, just climbed out and ran for my bike. On the bike I got going pretty well right from the start and kept waiting for the fast guys from wave 2 to pass me, but I managed to get to the transition to the run with only 10 having caught me up, pleased with that. Then into the transition zone, racked my bike, removed my helmet (it's a DQ if you take it off before hanging  your bike on the rack), pulled my bike shoes off, shoved feet into running shoes and off for the 3-lap run. Part of it was muddy and a bit slippery so caution was needed. Perversely I actually enjoyed the race in spite of the awful weather - and the volunteers at the finish had a plentiful suppy of cake and hot tea, very welcome! I made a point of thanking all the volunteer marshals out on the course, I've been in that position and it isn't fun in the cold and rain. Double success today, John won M60 and I won W60, so we got to stand on the podium together. 100% so far, two races, 2 age group wins. Of course it helps that there are very few over-60 women triathetes competing! Now have to wash all the wet muddy kit - due to the weather I wore a swimsuit, sports bra, top and bike shorts over it, and a zip-up jacket on the bike, plus my bike and run shoes are all muddy and wet.... the down side of tri!

Edited: 26/05/2013 at 20:26
27/05/2013 at 09:27

JJ, it was certainly slower running on grass, as although it was fairly flat, there were lots of twists and turns, and we had to do them all four times.

BIW, very well done to you and John!  amazing to have double success. It's seems that you are now fully fit again.

I'm having a rest day today, having done 3 races in the last week. 

27/05/2013 at 10:35

Thanks TE.

We both found it highly amusing that the results list shows John finished more than an hour behind me, although his AG win was still correct. Never happened, he started in the swim wave after mine and passed me on the run course, beating me by about 25 mins! In the almost 40 years we've been racing each other I've never beaten him at any distance, whether 10km, marathon, or Ironman.

27/05/2013 at 10:59

BIW - many congratulations, to both of you - and you even enjoyed it, despite the conditions!

Having watched my daughter do a tri, I could relate to your account of it (but I wonder why it's a DQ if you take off your helmet before racking your bike?)

You can probably tolerate never having beaten John more easily than he could tolerate it if you beat him.

27/05/2013 at 15:25

I bet you are right in that, Columba! Anyway, the rule about helmets is very strict, when transitioning from the swim to the bike you can't touch the bike prior to putting on your helmet and doing it up, then you have to push your bike to a designated mounting line. Coming back in for the run, reverse applies, you have to dismount on the line and rack the bike prior to unfastening/removing the helmet. I think the rule states a competitor must have a helmet on and properly fastened at all times when in contact with his/her bike.

27/05/2013 at 16:52

Well done to you & John BIW. Hope your weather improves soon.

We've had 3 lovely days over the Bank Holiday, although there's a chilly breeze today. We did a good session of allotment digging this morning, and it was just right for that. All set to change tonight though.

We had a slight results issue with the parkrun, as we discovered someone had run with his girlfriend's barcode. It appeared she'd just about halved her 5k time! All corrected now.

27/05/2013 at 20:22

Results from yesterday have been corrected on the website - I had guessed John was maybe about 25 mins faster than me, turned out to be exactly 30.

27/05/2013 at 21:12

IW
Good result for you and John. Sharing the podium was a nice touch.

Diana
The way people swap numbers without thinking I'm surprised there aren't more odd results.
JJ

28/05/2013 at 10:03

Rained yesterday. Raining today. Should be going out with the running club this evening.

28/05/2013 at 12:36

I recently got disqualified for racing with a friends number- would have got a Vet prize too- that will teach me

28/05/2013 at 14:30

It's been raining steadily all day here. We have an 800 metre rep session scheduled for this evening in the forest. I can't see it happening, so we'll probably do something different.

00 50 tut tut

28/05/2013 at 14:59

Afternoon all,

Yesterday's run was at the crack of dawn and was 5.61 miles across the fields and along the river. Didn't even switch on the pooter yesterday as I was in full-on gardening mode.  My hands are really aching and my shoulders are sore from all the digging and top dressing.  Not enough hours in the day! 

Today was a treddy session - 1.5 miles warm-up then 3 miles of (.11 @ 8 min miling with .09 jog recs) then 1.05 miles cool-down.  Next time I do an intervals session I shall do 3 miles of .12 with .08 recs and so on until the 8 min miling bits all join together and I can manage 3 miles @ 8 min miling.  That's how I started running 11 years ago but the faster pace was 10 min miling back then   

Total mileage now 242.46 and only a couple of weeks until the birthday change in mileage to 5.6 which doesn't seem that onerous now I've got stuck into it.

Right, what have I missed -

00, naughty boy 

IW, congratulations to you and John.  I hadn't realised that the transition rules were so strict.

Diana, LOL at you surprise 10 miles.

TE, it will most likely be warm for the SDM, not least because it's so exposed.  defo wear a hat.  

I suspect you and Columba might get a bit wet on your club runs this evening!

28/05/2013 at 16:00

We've got a strange yellow round thing in the sky today and it's actually not raining! But the weathermen are saying more rain for the rest of the week - and summer next week at last. Fingers crossed.

28/05/2013 at 20:43

Carp day weather-wise so got a lot of admin done.

29/05/2013 at 09:19

Morning all,

Glorious here this morning but forecast bad for later so I'm busy doing outdoorsy stuff - just popped in for a quick coffee.  Byeeeeeeee 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.