'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

163,401 to 163,420 of 167,162 messages
30/05/2013 at 21:19

I'll have another slice, thank-you, Redhead.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
31/05/2013 at 07:43

JJ - you'll be perfectly safe as long as you behave yourself. And the dogs act on my command..........

31/05/2013 at 08:12

Red, is there a significance to "555?" I could understand "666" but presume you have calculated it on the average daily mileage you intend running. Hope you can send me a slice of your cake through the ether, for me at the end of the SDM Saturday week.

Diana, we ran the Blackfield RR10 course last night, and it is a different route from previous years, due to some parts being too dangerous. It is quite a challenging route, with several hills, but not too many muddy parts. Some areas will necessitate single file, but that seems unavoidable in this series of races. There were, however, lots of biting midges, so I would advise insect repellent if you are racing it. I will be putting leaflets advertising our Solent Half Marathon on car wind screens, and then Marshalling at the finish to ensure everyone goes through the finish area. 

Off for a road run with a club mate soon. The temperature is forecast 23 degrees later, so perhaps summer is "round the corner"

31/05/2013 at 11:37

Our weathermen are saying today is the last day of rain and it will be 27c by Wednesday. We shall see.

31/05/2013 at 11:54

Warm and sunny here today.

31/05/2013 at 14:52

Warm and sunny here too.

Off to Lunnon shortly. Staying overnight for a wedding tomorrow morning.

Columba
Thanks. Saved me having to key it.
JJ

31/05/2013 at 15:43

A nice easy pace 6.41 mile road run this morning in glorious sunshine. Tomorrow is the 2nd Brockenhurst Parkrun and I am determined to beat the 65-70 year cat. runner who beat me last Saturday.

I'm now considering running the Clarendon Marathon on 6th October, instead of the IoW. It is more than 90% off road, so the SDM should stand me in good stead.

31/05/2013 at 18:58

Should be fine weather for the wedding.

TE, just about snap - 6.47 miles for me this morning. It was glorious wasn't it? I won't be running tomorrow, as I have volunteering roles, but after another high mileage month I'll quite enjoy being the onlooker. I'll remember the insect repellant, though it didn't seem very effective on Monday

01/06/2013 at 07:16

Morning all,

Another bright and sunny morning and off soon for the 2nd Brockenhurst Parkrun. Today is the annual Wiggle Cycle Race which was cancelled in April due to tacks being thrown on the roads to disrupt the cyclists. Hope they don't cause too much of a delay, as it is very frustrating driving in the forest having to negotiate them as well as the animals in the road.

01/06/2013 at 15:18

You obviously made it on time TE - good to see you again.

01/06/2013 at 17:18

Diana, yes I did and had no problems at all on the roads. I had imagined the roads to Brockenhurst would have been filled with hundreds of cyclists. I don't know what time they started off. Thanks for your encouragement as I passed you on each lap, it certainly helped. I was first in the 65-70 category, but the man who beat me last week didn't run. My time was 4 seconds slower than his. I ran 22.40 which was 5 seconds quicker than last week, and my WAVA 75.37. This was the highest of any runner, so in theory, I was the fastest. It was a bit disappointing that race numbers were down from last weeks 113, to 57, but many runners are on holiday. I came 17th out of 57, so have to be pleased with that.

It was bright and sunny, but there was quite a strong wind, which made the going harder than last week, so I was pleased with my faster time.

01/06/2013 at 17:30

Afternoon all,

Well, what a day we had yesterday.  The sun shone, the people came for coffee and cake and they were very generous - we made £800 in 2 hours!  I could hardly believe it.  People who couldn't stay were popping in and leaving envelopes with money in.  Fabulous total and much more than I expected (I was secretly hoping we'd make about £250!).  Yay for my wonderful village and lovely people who helped out on the day and with all the baking 

I didn't get out for my run first thing yesterday so I had to go out in the heat of the afternoon and my it was hot!  I struggled with the heat and wheezed my way round 5.71 miles along eh river and through woodland.  Today I was out by 6am which was much more pleasant and I did 5.62 miles all cross country and across some rather overgrown fields which was hard work.

Total mileage now at day 41 = 264.88

IW, I'm liking the sound of your chocolate and beer cake - any chance of the recipe please?

JJ, I think the weather must have been perfect for the wedding and I hope the bride and Mrs JJ looked splendid.

TE, did you beat him?  The 55 is only because I like the idea of all 5's and I suspect I'll have done a lot more miles than that by the end of my streak 

Diana, are you training for anything specific?

Have a lovely weekend everyone.  Mike's working tomorrow so I shall be in the garden all day after my run 

01/06/2013 at 19:19

Redhead, yes of course, I'll email it to you.

Well the weathermen didn't get it quite right. We've had a few showers and then the sun came out late this afternoon, so hopefully tomorrow will be nice for our triathlon. The sweeper van will be out on the bike course at 4:30am tomorrow morning making sure there's no debris on the road, especially the long steep downhill from the Kalmit peak, don't want any tree branches out there to trip our triathletes up. John will be racing but I am marshalling on the run course. We set up the bike stands today at the swimming pool and put the lane lines out ready for the first start tomorrow. Fingers crossed for a great day's racing.

01/06/2013 at 21:11

Red, the man that beat me last week didn't run today, that's why I was first in the 65-70 category. My time was 4 seconds slower than his time last week. Having said that, if he had run, I might have beaten him as it was very windy today making the going harder. Well done on your fund raising, very impressive.!

01/06/2013 at 22:07

TE - fantastic WAVA - you really should be very pleased. Especially as in a sense you were fastest.

Red - I think you're a very good fund-raiser.

I ran round the Carreg ddu reservoir today, one of the complex of reservoirs in the Elan Valley. Have been wanting to do it for some time. The first part was mainly on a cycle track with a few bits of road; then there was some farm track, then it went onto footpaths which crossed fields (one of which was very squishy, boggy and tussocky) and through woodland. 6.1 miles altogether. Conditions were perfect; sunshine, but not too much of it, a cool breeze from time to time. Bluebells, flowering broom, all trees coming into leaf, butterflies, sunlight sparkling on the ripples on the lake.

Wore insect repellent, and don't seem to have got bitten at all. But perhaps I wouldn't have anyway.

Treated myself to a Welsh Tea at the Visitor Centre afterwards. 

02/06/2013 at 07:49

Columba, thanks, I'm "really made up," as they say in Liverpool Your run sounds really perfect with a bit of everything.

Nice and bright this morning, but still a bit chilly. Off soon for a final longish run which will be on road and between 10 and 12 miles. 

02/06/2013 at 16:03

I did 12 miles this morning on roads, which will be my last long run until Saturday. I wish I had run in the Forest really, as road running is rather boring in comparison. About half a mile into my run, a young lady caught me up and we started chatting. She said that she was training for a triathlon, and had just swum 50 lengths. Unfortunately, she was only running 3 miles, otherwise we could have run further together.

02/06/2013 at 16:38

You're officially mentioned in despatches TE - "The following runners recorded the best Age Grade scores:
Terence EARNEY (VM65-69) was graded 75.37 % for the time 22:40 (17th overall).
Matthew Paul TANNER (VM45-49) was graded 74.66 % for the time 19:36 (5th overall).
Ian SMITH (VM50-54) was graded 73.23 % for the time 20:18 (8th overall)."

Wonderful amount raised by the cake sale Red; no wonder you're pleased. I ended up having a short run yesterday afternoon, as I was volunteering only at the parkrun this week, and agree that it was very warm. Only a short one today too, as I went out with a friend who stayed over last night, and is currently just building her running up again.

Columba, that run sounds just lovely.

BIW, hope all went smoothly with the triathlon.

02/06/2013 at 17:02

Diana, thanks for that! Pity I will miss next weeks parkrun, but the SDM has been on my radar for many years, and I never thought that I would actually enter it. The race isn't quite full, and they are taking on line entries up to and including Friday.

02/06/2013 at 18:45

TE - I bet your nemesis didn't dare to turn up, knowing full well that he couldn't hope to beat you again!

Red - No doubt all the punters were coming back for seconds and third helpings of your delicious cakes.  That must be what swelled the coffers! Oh lady of many talents.

JJ - We look forward to hearing all the wedding stories. I bet there will be quite a few! And if you did dress in that weird garb it would be absolutely all you have in common with that old misery. I never had much time for the comedies  But the tragedies... now that is a different matter!   I went to the Edinburgh Festival when I was 16 when our theatre group put on Macbeth. It was so much fun I don't think I slept all week.

No running for me this weekend - I have been looking after colonies of grandchildren.  Yesterday sons-in-law A and D together with grandson C (who is 18 today) did the 100 mile Norwich cycle race.  Daughter H kindly agreed to do the 50 miles with K who is only 14 and had to be supervised. However, K being the competitor she is, shot off leaving an incandescent Auntie H behind who then got lost trying to track her down.  Whoops!  I think K thought it was worth the flack to achieve a great time, which she did, but I think it may be her last long distance cycle ride for some time!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.