'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

163,441 to 163,460 of 166,855 messages
05/06/2013 at 09:35

Red, you really are a busy bee! How you have time to fit in running I really don't know. I believe all athletes of whatever disciplines have some arthritic or cartilage damage, but that doesn't stop them doing what they love, and the above posts reinforce that.  Ron Hill, who hasn't missed a days running since the early sixties, was told many years ago that he shouldn't run after having cartilage removed from his knees.

Last night's speed session was very tough. We did 4 sets of 30, 45 and 60 seconds with double time jog backs, but no recovery between sets. This was the first time we had done such a session without a recovery between sets. I presume this is new coaching idea?

Today will be a gentle 4 mile jog, and rest days Thursday and Friday. Tonight will be Marshalling at our RR10 race at Brockenhurst.

05/06/2013 at 15:15

TE, what are "double time jog backs"?

I'm sheltering indoors from the sun as it's too hot for me out there at the moment.  Gardening will be resumed this evening when it's cooled down a bit 

Ran across some fields, ploughed but not too bad, for 5.56 miles.  Total mileage up to Day 45 = 287.  Only 10 days to go before it increases to 5.6 miles a day.

05/06/2013 at 15:32

My marshalling tonight is the RR10 at Blackfield, and not Brockenhurst, which are the parkruns.

Red, double time jog backs are just double the time of each effort. The 30 second run had 60 sec jog back, 45 sec had 90 sec jog back etc. I couldn't think of a better way to describe it. Well done on your consistent daily mileage.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
05/06/2013 at 19:58

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/6763/gallery/268.jpg?width=350

Nemo at work - especially for JJ!

05/06/2013 at 20:57

TE
I've had two knee operations for cartilage damage and have had no problems once the torn bits were removed.

IW
I was certain you were about 18 when we first met so you must be nearly 30 now.

Does Nemo always catch his own food?

Redhead
Now ain't you just the busy one. Very impressive and varied workload.
JJ

05/06/2013 at 22:46

Red - and BIW - and JJ - yes, yes, yes! Ignore pessimistic advice about giving up running because of arthritis, and keep at it. I certainly have arthritis in my fingers (swollen joints) and at the base of my thumbs (swollen and misshapen joints) and strongly suspect I have it in my neck but I ain't going to ask.

5k done, - oh my, 5k is so hard! No respite, just go go go. Kept feeling: "3 more steps and then I'll probably drop dead", - however, I didn't. As predicted, I came last. I don't have my exact finishing time (forgot to switch off Garmin immediately I'd staggered under the "Finish" banner) but think it will be around 32 minutes, which is moderately respectable and would be under 11 minute miling. Tea and home-made cakes back at the leisure centre were very welcome.

06/06/2013 at 06:03

JJ - double it and you would be close, you sweet talker!

Nemo is allergic to practically everything edible. Can't have any type of grains, no lamb, veal, beef, chicken, pork, nothing containing milk or egg - he gets Wolfsblut dry food based on rabbit, venison or fish with sweet potato and herbs, no additives. Charly can and does eat anything - particularly loves zucchini, banana or oranges with his meat!

06/06/2013 at 06:06

Columba, well done! I've always felt that 5km and 10km are particularly tough because there's no respite, it's flat out all the way. Probably why I migrated to longer distance.

06/06/2013 at 10:01

Matsmum, I'm another one advised by a doctor not to run. I saw another doctor in the practice, who is sporty himself, and he said on no account to stop as it was so good for my bone density & cardio-vascular system, just to get good shoes. Well done to the family on their cycling endeavours.

BIW, 6 hours is a long time to be marshalling! I think we've all seen some very strange running styles & physiques - I'd probably rather not know what I look like when I'm running!

Last night's inter-club off-road race was quite tough, with some challenging climbs. My pace was 1 second per mile faster than the last RR10, so have to be satisfied with that. The race seemed very well attended indeed, and there was speculation it might be the all-time attendance record.

06/06/2013 at 10:02

Forgot to say - well done on the 5k, Columba.

06/06/2013 at 10:21

Morning all,

Another scorcher here already.  I did my run on the treddy and had intended a tempo run but my breathing is not good today and my chest is tight (steady JJ!) so I did longer intervals instead.  1 mile warm-up then .5m @8:32mm with .2mile rec, .6m @8:23mm with .2m rec, .7m @8:15mm with .2m rec then .6 and .5 back down again. I didn't feel i could have pushed any more just yet bit was happy with my progress.  Total mileage including cooldown was 6.25 by which time I'd had enough!

So total streaky mileage up to Day 46 = 293.25 

JJ, you grow begonia sutherlandii don't you?  Did you grow it in semi-shade or full shade?  If so, was it dry shade?

Columba, well done you!  That's a very respectable time for your 5k, especially in this heat

Diana, ditto for you as it was very hot yesterday evening.

TE, aha, now I understand.  Are you getting excited about the SDM yet?

IW, fab photo.

I've just remembered another 'don't run any more' thing, this time from a Physio.  I had a bad pain in my right knee, which is my good one.  Had loads of Physio on it which made no difference and she said I'd need surgery to remove something or other and that I should stop running.  I wasn't convinced and got Mary Massage Lady to have a good poke around in there instead (ouch, that was a hurty one!) and yes, she sorted it out without recourse to invasive surgery!

06/06/2013 at 11:42

Not quite a scorcher but quite pleasant here in the North East. Wouldn't like to meet Nemo in a dark alley  

06/06/2013 at 14:21

Diana, there was a record turnout of 167 ladies at our RR10 last night. The RR results web  sais "provisional results below" but they are not there, so I don't yet know the total numbers of runners. It was certainly a very good turn out. You were running strongly as you approached the final bend before the finishing straight on the field. Well done on your increased pace, on what was a challenging course.

Columba, well done in your 5k race. I agree that they are very tough, running hard from start to finish.

Red, I wouldn't say exactly that I was excited about the SDM, but am looking forward to the challenge, in what will be very hot conditions. I am not intending to race it, but to endeavour to pace it sensibly and finish the course. Unfortunately, I am the only one from my club that is doing it. Apparently, there are other events over the weekend that are more attractive.

06/06/2013 at 14:24

I also ran a 5k race yesterday which included this killer hill  

http://t.co/BMZUydLgke

06/06/2013 at 14:46

00 50 thanks for the video. It looked a very tough race, did you do well? I'm full of admiration for the old feller who finished last, the way he pushed himself up that hill.

06/06/2013 at 14:56

Diana, I was looking in the wrong place for the results. There were 167 women and 215 men, a total of 382. A very good turnout, helped probably by the nice sunny evening. There is another RR10 next Wednesday at Alver Valley Country Park. This is unusual, as they are normally every other week. I shan't be running it, as I will probably still be staggering around after the SDM.

Edited: 06/06/2013 at 15:01
06/06/2013 at 16:39

Thanks Terence. Not a bad run, I was 26th from 115 and 3rd V50, averaging 7 min/mile pace. We did the hill twice but most of the race was fairly flat. I actually don't mind hills  

06/06/2013 at 17:00

00 50, very well done! I don't mind hills either, which is just as well with the SDM on Saturday.

06/06/2013 at 17:29

The famous Blaydon race for me on Sunday- fairly flat 5 miler

06/06/2013 at 19:10

00 50 good luck with that, I imagine you will get a very fast time.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.