'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

163,561 to 163,580 of 166,425 messages
20/06/2013 at 08:40

00 I think you need a kick up the ar$e for being a layzee boy  (I think you can safely  blame the heat though!!!)

I've done my run nice and early today as I'm just off into London town for some exciting meetings.  5.62 miles along the hilly bits of the lanes.

Edited: 20/06/2013 at 08:42
20/06/2013 at 09:16

Had a good time last night with club mates at my celebratory meal.

Tonight is a hill rep session in the forest with the club.

Diana, I'm intending to do the parkrun on Saturday and there will probably be several of us from the club.

20/06/2013 at 10:12

You might be right on the kick Redhead, but not the heat. I like it hot!

20/06/2013 at 15:26

Yep, 4 laps OO 50. We did think someone had mis-counted one week, as her time went from around 40 minutes to low 20s, but turned out her boyfriend had picked up her barcode by mistake, so we were able to correct the results!

Tough hill work last night with the club, including the dreaded sand hill. I was scarlet when I got home (but no bites - the Avon dry oil spray worked it's magic)

20/06/2013 at 15:36

Red - you've got a gym nearby where you do the circuits, then? Or have you got your own mini-trampoline?

Steady rain here today. Been swimming. Not a very successful session, partly because there were three people swimming lengths, all at different speeds, in the pool as well as the swimming class in the shallow end. So as I was swimming widths I had to pause before each one, to see where the length-swimmers were, how fast they were going and in which direction, and where they were relative to one another, before I set off floundering to the other side. 

We had a dog (years ago) that used to acquire sheep ticks. We used to dab them with cotton buds dipped in methylated spirits. The dog was black, though, so i don't know how that fits in with 'OO's theory that they go for fair-skinned people.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
20/06/2013 at 16:30

Columba, I can put some substance to the fair-skinned theory. There are lots of ticks in the forest here, Nemo hardly ever has one, but they seem to jump onto Charly fairly often. Still, as we use a product called Exspot, they usually jump off again quickly. If not they end up dead. Horrid things, I can't see any purpose to them, they are not even in the food chain as far as I know.

20/06/2013 at 17:39

Ticks are parasites and can feed for several days before falling off. I agree with BIW that they serve no purpose and are not in the food chain. Luckily they can't fly, but drop onto animals and humans passing below. They also lurk on the ground and are impossible to see. I believe Deer are the worse affected. 

21/06/2013 at 07:17

Our rabbit got one recently. The vet supplied a special tool forplucking it out from the base.

In spite of my poor run on Wednesday I picked up a prize for 2nd Vet in my age catagory- some consolation I guess. Has made me more determined to train a bit harder before my next 10 k in 2 weeks.

Nice w/end all- weather permitting

21/06/2013 at 09:42

A good hill rep session in the forest last night consisting of 3 sets of 3 x 45 secs up, 60 secs down, with 60 sec recovery between sets. We had a long run in before the session and did a number of core exercises, including star jumps, and a long run back after the session. Total mileage was 7.43.

00 50 well done getting 2nd Vet prize, 1st prize next time?

21/06/2013 at 15:43

OK, what's going on at RW Towers then?  All my bookmarks have disappeared and it's taken ages to get onto here!

Yesterday was long and tiring but successful.  We had a good meeting debating how to engage people in research and then in the evening ARUK launched 'The Lab' which is an on-line prog where people can explore what goes on inside a lab plus there are facts/figures and interesting articles plus interviews with various people (including me).  

On the way home I fell flat on my face along Euston Road (no, I hadn't had a drink!!!!) when I tripped on a paving slab trying to avoid a drunken man.  Iromically, it was the drunk who rushed over to check I was OK.  I've hurt both knees as I landed hard on them and my elbows are grazed but my legs still managed to run today as it wasn't muscular damage.  It was my breathing that let me down today - ghastly!  Still, I struggled around for 5.62 miles but I took such a long time that Mike was so worried that he phoned to check I was OK.

00, lucky you for getting a prize for being 2nd!  I was 2nd in my category for the 10k but I didn't get anything, SOB!

Columba, we are fortunate to have our own gym so i can bounce around whilst watching the horses; or rather, they watch me 

Have a lovely weekend everyone 

21/06/2013 at 21:12

Red, there is something strange going on here. When I tried to log in, I had to re-enter my e mail, password and then one of those funny series of letters and numbers that are difficult to decipher. Perhaps it is an attempt to stop the spammers, or the site being hacked. I haven't checked my bookmarks yet but will do so. Sounds like a very nasty fall you had. Luckily nothing was broken, but it really shakes you up doesn't it.  

21/06/2013 at 21:16

My bookmarks have gone also. I hope they get re instated as I rely on them for planning my racing programme. I will have a look on the web site bugs threads to see if anyone has reported it.

21/06/2013 at 21:22

Other posters are having the same problems so I'm hoping that I will be able to log out successfully.

21/06/2013 at 21:44

No problems chez moi, - but then, I haven't bookmarked anything.

'OO' - congratulations on 2nd vet prize.

TE - are star jumps counted as core exercises?

Red - ouch! - bit ironic, isn't it, that you can run 26 miles while knitting and not fall, and then fall in the street when you're neither running nor knitting. Nor even having been drinking.

You're probably as good as a television for those horses! - Do you think they nudge each other and say "look, here she comes, now for some entertainment"?

Just under 4 miles today, not very good ones. Was going to include a long and very steep hill which goes up to the golf club and then on through the golf course; but couldn't even make it up the first part without having to walk. Jogged back down and had another try, but no good. It was rather warm and I was tired (slept badly) so them's my excuses.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
21/06/2013 at 22:16

Wonderful swim tonight - we went to the pool expecting Friday night training but nobody was there, they had all gone to the city 5km run down town. The only person there was Petra who has the keys and she said she was going to do a short swim, we could too as long as we kept it short, like 1000m or so. So we did - it was great, just 3 of us spread out across the pool, Petra in the far right lane, John in the middle and me in the far left lane. We loved it.

22/06/2013 at 12:56

It's lovely when you've got an almost empty pool!

22/06/2013 at 13:04

Afternoon all,

I'm about to venture out now the torrential rain has abated!  Still got very strong and gusting wind though.

IW, empty pools are the best.

Columba, valid excuses as yesterday was my worst for weeks.  The horses often snort in disbelief when they see me bouncing and if I do big skipping down the garden they follow me along their side of the fence 

I still haven't got any bookmarks.

22/06/2013 at 15:19

I've got bookmarks ok - I use Chrome, so not sure if there are issues with other browsers.

Bliss to have a pool almost to oneself.

Nice 6.5 miles across the forest yesterday morning, and did the parkrun this morning. The strong wind woke us up last night, and I struggled to get back to sleep, so felt rather jaded. Got close to my previous time, but not to the time I manages in Cambridge, so still a target to aim for. I really want to get below 27 minutes for the 5k (which I did manage on the uncrowded trial event, but never in an official parkrun).

Busy getting packing organised for Glastonbury (the festival rather than the town or Tor). I'm excited about seeing the Rolling Stones live.

22/06/2013 at 15:20

Spoke too soon - bookmarks have vanished

22/06/2013 at 16:31

Columba, yes star jumps are certainly core exercises, and we did some before Thursdays hill rep session. No need for excuses for having walked up that steep hill. I did a lot of walking during the SDM and this is often quicker than trying to run.

Diana, conditions were tough for this mornings parkrun and you did well getting close to previous times. I was 36 seconds, according to my garmin, slower than previous race, and ran out of steam 3/4 of the way through the last lap. I just hung in so that I could prevent anyone going past. My excuse, apart from the wet and windy conditions, is that I still had the SDM miles in my legs.I do envy you having a ticket to see the Stones. The only time I ever saw them live, was when they were complete unknowns, and they were guests of Big Pete Deucher on a blues night at the Thames Hotel Hampton Court. We never thought that they would become one of the most famous bands in the world. They were real rythym and blues men in those days, taking their inspirations from negro blues men.

Tomorrow will be a forest run with club mates, which will be at a much easier pace, and hopefully, less windy.

I've still got no bookmarks and can't log out. RW Towers seems to completely shut down out of office hours, and take ages to rectify problems when they are in office.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.