'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

163,581 to 163,600 of 166,777 messages
23/06/2013 at 07:36

Off for a longish forest run with club mates shortly. The sun keeps coming in and out and can't make up its mind. It will probably rain later.

23/06/2013 at 12:41

Afternoonie,

A more pleasant plod this morning with less coughing and huffing and puffing.  5.67 miles of hills.  Off out now on a garden safari in a nearby village 

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
23/06/2013 at 14:21

2hrs 10 mins of cycling done today and I don't seem very tired - feeling good!

TE -  I was at that concert too! Back in the day, as the saying goes, I saw pretty well all of the big names such as the Rolling Stones, Animals, Kinks, Santana, etc, except the Beatles. I was always in the Stones camp, not the Liverpool lads. Even saw Tom Jones when he was first starting out, wearing frilly shirts and hair in a pony tail! Since we've been in Germany John and I have seen Elton John, Neil Diamond, Pink Floyd, Tina Turner, Brian Adams, Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, the boss Bruce Springsteen (fabulous open air concert), Queen 5 times before Freddie died, Dire Straights, Chris Rhea, loads of others. I'm a die-hard rock fan - when in Bavaria I listen to Rock Antenna radio station because they play a lot of AC/DC!

23/06/2013 at 14:54

Red - you have done very well not to have let that fall put you off your stride. There is that horrid moment, split seconds before you hit the ground, when you know it is going to hurt but there is nothing you can do about it. Scary.

JJ - It is your own fault for being the man with all the answers!

I have never seen the Stones (sigh) but I have had egg and chips with the Beatles when I was 16. I had a crush on John Lennon, but it was Paul who had the nicest attitude. Manfred Mann, Georgie Fame, Alan Price - they all played in a dive I used to go to before they were famous.  Do they have dives these days?!!!  It was an underground room in Tottenham. It was probably full of youngsters on drugs but it passed me by. I did dream of going to San Francisco and wear flowers in my hair, and I did actually buy a 3 month Greyhound ticket for 99 dollars and travel the States, sleeping in the coach!  Blimey, I would have a fit if my granddaughters planned to do that now. I must be getting old.

Enough reminiscing - I have been going out for 4 mile runs without my garmin to get my enthusiasm back, and today I had a lovely run with short sprints of under 8 min miling (very short!) . I will be starting my training proper next week for the Royal Parks Half.

23/06/2013 at 14:57

Ah, can't log out.

23/06/2013 at 16:25

Matsmum - I spent a summer vacation (as a student) on the other side of the Atlantic, but didn't get one of those $99 tickets. Was based in Rhode Island with distant relatives, but did take Greyhound bus trips to Montreal, Niagara Falls, Boston, and to Vermont to visit family friends. And had a week in NY before flying home.  I think my parents had quiet fits, but I was "free, white and twenty-one" and they couldn't really have stopped me. And of course, they did know where I was based.

I still have that wierd "Path: p" thing at the bottom of where I'm typing.

Red, glad you're huffing and puffing less. Your weather seems to have improved, but not so where i am. Wonder how JJ's flower show went? He probably hasn't managed to struggle home yet under the weight of all his prizes.

23/06/2013 at 16:32

Raining and very windy, so I decided against a LSR and instead went back and attacked that hill which defeated me on Friday. Got up it at a run this time, at least up to and over its first peak; walked for a short time a bit further on. Looking at a large-scale local map with contour lines, I think that stretch of road rises 90 metres in nine-tenths of a mile, - 60 metres in the first half-mile, after which the slope is a bit gentler and there are even a few short level or downhill bits. 5.27 miles altogether, a circular run which I enjoy once over the brutal bit. Didn't see another soul (runners, cyclists, dog-walkers) except for a few damp golfers (road goes through the golf course) heading towards the club house.

23/06/2013 at 17:42

BIW, some great quality of bands that you have seen. I saw The Kinks and  Richie Blackmore's Rainbow whilst I was living in Liverpool. In the early sixties, I saw many up and coming bands on Eel Pie Island in the Thames. To be honest, we didn't pay too much attention to them, but danced and enjoyed the beer. The bands performed in the cellar, and the bar staff went round with torches collecting the empty glasses. I've got several AC/DC Cds and have just bought the new Black Sabbath CD 13, with Ossie singing and playing mouth harp. I listen to Planet Rock on my DAB radio, which plays non stop, except for ads. light and heavy rock.

Matsmum, egg and chips with the Beatles, that is something to be proud of. Did you take any photos? I don't think they have dives these days, but Eel Pie Island certainly was one. I'm sure there were lots of drugs around but I was never interested in them thankfully.

I wonder if JJ was a hippy. I know he is very interested in gardening and flowers, so can imagine him being into flower power

Columba, well done running up that hill, a Kate Bush classic!

Ran 11.34 miles in the forest this morning with 3 club mates. It didn't rain, and the temperature was perfect.

Diana, your good fortune at having tickets to see the Stones has led to some very interesting trips down memory lane on here. I hope you will be able to take some photos of them.

23/06/2013 at 22:28

It was a reasonable flower show given the carp growing conditions. Picked up 16 awards including a couple of bits of silverware.

Went for a 30 minute run early this evening. Well I had to get warm somehow.

My pop choice was the Rolling Stones, Status Quo and Tina Turner. My younger daughter took me to see TT for my 60th birthday and SQ for my 65th birthday. I still need to see the RS.

Diana
I still need to see the Rolling Stones !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
mwah!

TE
Didn't follow any fashion trends except to narrow my trousers a bit in the teddy boy era when I was a young teenager. I was too much of an outdoor/ sports addict type.

Columba
There are techniques for running hills.

Matsmum
I don't even understand most of the questions let alone what the answers are.
JJ

24/06/2013 at 06:08

The Stones are still top of the pile - the energy Mick has prancing around on stage is incredible. But I really don't think they should let Keith "sing", I know it's a change of clothes break for Mick  but really, my dogs can sing better than Keith!

24/06/2013 at 08:48

LOL at keith singing IW!

Brrrr, it's cold and windy here today.  Out running at lunchtime 'cos busy this morning.

24/06/2013 at 12:10

At 8.00 o'clock this morning the sun was shining... but since about 8.30 it has been cloudy and chilly. Shan't be running today. Tomorrow the running club is planning 7 - 8 miles off-road. Oo-er!

24/06/2013 at 15:19

Rubbish run here.  Tried doing intervals but going faster just brought on massive coughing fits so in the end I gave up and settled on 10 min miling.  Total mileage 5.70.  Poo 

24/06/2013 at 17:18

A 6.25 mile forest run this morning. Bright and sunny, but not as warm as forecasted.

The RW site appears to be back to normal, and the bookmarks have reappeared. The log out button is also back in the correct place.

24/06/2013 at 21:42

Swim training tonight - 1600m. Our trainer told me I swam well tonight, looked relaxed and smooth. Very pleased, she doesn't give compliments for nothing.

25/06/2013 at 08:15

Kenyan Hill session with club in forest this evening.

25/06/2013 at 11:47

Dog club for me tonight - but I shall take the boys for a run first.

25/06/2013 at 13:04
Matsmum wrote (see)

Red - you have done very well not to have let that fall put you off your stride. There is that horrid moment, split seconds before you hit the ground, when you know it is going to hurt but there is nothing you can do about it. Scary.

JJ - It is your own fault for being the man with all the answers!

I have never seen the Stones (sigh) but I have had egg and chips with the Beatles when I was 16. I had a crush on John Lennon, but it was Paul who had the nicest attitude. Manfred Mann, Georgie Fame, Alan Price - they all played in a dive I used to go to before they were famous.  Do they have dives these days?!!!  It was an underground room in Tottenham. It was probably full of youngsters on drugs but it passed me by. I did dream of going to San Francisco and wear flowers in my hair, and I did actually buy a 3 month Greyhound ticket for 99 dollars and travel the States, sleeping in the coach!  Blimey, I would have a fit if my granddaughters planned to do that now. I must be getting old.

Enough reminiscing - I have been going out for 4 mile runs without my garmin to get my enthusiasm back, and today I had a lovely run with short sprints of under 8 min miling (very short!) . I will be starting my training proper next week for the Royal Parks Half.

Matsmum, that is some claim to fame!

In terms of race prizes it depends on the organisers. This particular race had no T shirts, there was some food but most of the money went on prizes.

For those interested the Good For Age entries are now open for VLM 2014. I've applied

25/06/2013 at 13:05

and pleased to say my bookmarks have returned 

25/06/2013 at 20:34

Good evening all and what a glorious one it is too.  I've been pottering about since after tea and hadn't realised how late it was until Mike came out with a cuppa at 8pm 

Re The Beatles, Mike's mum used to play with John Lennon when they were children as she lived a few doors away from him.

00  I think I shall apply for GFA place too but I suspect I won't get a place as I'm not good for my age 

Running today was a bit better as I was determined not to give in.  I'm double-dosing on my meds but still have a closed-up throat and coughing fits.  Anyway, I changed tack today in my attempt at some form of speedwork and did 800m @ 8mm interspersed with 800m jogs recs during which I could cough and wheeze as required.  6.56 miles done and dusted so tomorrow I shall treat myself to a xc plod to enjoy the scenery.

Edited: 25/06/2013 at 20:36
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.