'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

163,621 to 163,640 of 166,997 messages
29/06/2013 at 09:25

Columba, 60 seconds is a long time for hill reps. We don't usually do sets of 60 secs. more often they are 45 secs. We do one session where we do sets of 30, 45 and 60 secs. and our Kenyan Hills session is probably 60 secs at the highest marker, although they are not timed. I'm still getting the Path p.

I expect Diana is all set now for watching The Stones this evening at Glastonbury. At the same time, the Bootleg Beatles will be performing on another stage, and they are also hugely popular. I watched Seasick Steve, who was accompanied by John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin on Bass Guitar on BBC4 last night. A great feast of blues..

Edited: 29/06/2013 at 09:35
29/06/2013 at 18:45

Lucky Diana. ( green with envy)  Hope the mud is manageable.  Although it wouldn't be Glastonbury without it!

It's at times like this, Red, that I am glad my garden is singularly lacking in flowerbeds!  Hope you feel better soon.

My little K ran the local 5k race in 20.28 this week. By my reckoning that is 6.8 min miles. 

I ran 3 miles today and took my garmin for the first time. I did it in 31.31.  Would I have fancied going further?  Not on your Nellie!  I am doing the first week of your training plan 3 times, JJ, before starting the full 12 week training.

I have got a place in the Edinburgh Marathon 2014. And my daughter L ( K's mum ) is doing it with me. I am so happy.

If you really want a laugh go on to youtube and watch "sh*t barefoot runners say ". It is so funny.  Red - did you see that woman running completely barefoot in VLM?

Only 3 weeks left before I retire. I swear there is more work involved in shutting down a business than in actually running it. Mixed feelings.

29/06/2013 at 22:01

Speedy little K!

30/06/2013 at 18:44

Matsmum, that's a fantastic 5k by little K. She surely has great potential and I'm sure you must be so proud of her! Well done in getting a place in next years Edinburgh Marathon, and I hope you will keep us updated on your training.

Well, today has been unbelievably hot, and the Lordshill 10k has a knack of being held on the hottest day of the year. This year was a new "fast route" and started and finished at the superb Ordnance Survey complex. There were extensive parking facilities, so absolutely no problems in that area. The race started at 10.30 and we were already sweating before the start. I kept a steady pace, which seemed the best policy in the circumstances, and finished in 47.59. This was slower than the Netley 10k which I ran in 46.40, but in the heat, didn't think it too bad. I overtook lots of runners in the final mile, that had set off too fast and were suffering in the heat. I was 141st out of 358 finishers, and 10th in the 60-70 category. I do wish they published 65-70, even if they didn't award prizes.

After the race, we had cups of water, and then queued up for apples, oranges bananas and our goody bags. There were no medals, but a superb whiskey glass which will be much more useful than a medal

I didn't stay up late last night to watch The Stones, but will probably watch it later on the BBC I Player.

30/06/2013 at 19:25

TE - that sounds very good, especially given the heat. Will th website publish all the runners with their ages and times, from which you could work out where you came in the 65 - 70 age group?

It seems to have been fairly hot in much of the country today. Was warmish here but also very windy, and as I did a 10 mile LSR I was grateful for the gusts of wind which dried up the perspiration and cooled me off a bit.

30/06/2013 at 20:39

Columba, unfortunately the web doesn't publish the runners ages, just categories as follows:- MS, MV40, MV50, MV60. MV70. FS, FV35, FV45, FV55, FM65. Well done on your 10 miler, was it off road?

30/06/2013 at 21:49

It was all on tarmac, but some on a network of tiny roads that serves several farms, and some on a cycle track, and some round the lake, so didn't have too much traffic to contend with.

30/06/2013 at 21:54

Evening all,

I gave up trying to get onto the site yesterday and today all my bookmarks have gone again.  Grrrr.

Right, yesterday was 6.25 miles along the lanes (undulating/hilly) and today was 7.69 again on the lanes but not as hilly.   Breathing rubbish but i just went into plod mode and got on with it.

TE, excellent result in this heat.

Columba, are you getting ready for a 1/2?  Neither of use use nasal sprays (Mike had one for years when he had polyps and won't use one now).  He's taking antihistamine tabs but they don't agree with me so I won't take them.  Poor Mike's had horrid hayfever for the last 5 or 6 years.

Matsmum, I've heard that Edinburgh is a great marathon although it can be hot.  Well done to little K and I hope you enjoy your retirement.

JJ, I forgot to comment on your mole.  This year I have seen more molehills than ever before.  I always record them for 'molewatch' who monitor where they are appearing.  For the first time ever they have appeared in our middle field which is heavy clay whereas they usually stay in the field furthest away which is on sandstone.  I've seen whole fields covered in them this year which is a first!

01/07/2013 at 13:00

I see the site is still going awry!

Better session today on the treddy. 1 mile warm-up then 15 x (.2m @ 8mm with .1m rec) then cooldown to 6 miles 

01/07/2013 at 15:47

Yes, bookmarks still missing, a right pain!

Red, a good session there. Seems like your breathing problems are improving.

My shoulders are bright red from yesterdays sun, so I wore a t shirt for this mornings run. I ran a good pace 5.25 miles in the forest. The ground is really very dry now, so I'm not bothering with trail shoes.

01/07/2013 at 17:18

Getting a bit behind like the cow's tail.

Went to a wedding on Saturday then Sunday was lunch in Lunnon with some offspring. Tonight I have to chair a gardening association committee meeting so just finished swotting up for it.

Matsmum
Your Special K is clearly worth encouraging. What's she doing in way of training?

Three weeks to get ready for the training programme is excellent.

Redhead
Lots of mole cities on the Penshurst Estate nearby. That's good solid Wealden clay too.

TE
I watched Seasick Steve too.
You were still well into the top half of the field which is good when into the 60s.
I find there's little to be gained from comparing different races even if the distance is the same (which it may be in title only). There are too many little differences.
JJ

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
01/07/2013 at 17:38

John and I both got sunburnt on yesterday's triathlon, or perhaps some of it was wind burn. Lovely race, my swim as usual wasn't much to write home about but I absolutely loved the bike course, gently rolling and quite fast, right up my alley. Poor John had a problem with his bike, the chain came off and got completely jammed, he lost about 15 minutes trying to get it free, so wasn't over thrilled with his 3rd place in M65. Better than nothing say I. As happens all too frequently, there were no other W60s so the 1st place trophy was a cinch for me. However, this time there was actually a W70, never came across one before. And there was an M75 too!

01/07/2013 at 22:44

BIW - were there many M65s behind John's 3rd place?

Redhead - I'm doing the Lake Vyrnwy half, - it's in mid-September. The same one as I did last year. Well done for plodding on despite the gunk. You must be thoroughly fed up with it; and i suppose, as you don't know what you're allergic to (besides grass pollen and alchemilla!) you don't know when you can expect it to stop.

I went on a one-day crochet course today. Came away thinking "blow crochet, I'll stick to knitting" but having had a bit of a search on the internet I've found some demonstrations, from which I can make a little more sense of what I learned, or failed to learn, during the day.

02/07/2013 at 06:41

Columba, there were 3 - 9 registered, 3 didn't show up for the start. I've actually never seen a results list with so many DNS listed. Weird, because the weather was good.

02/07/2013 at 09:10

Still no bookmarks. The RW web is going from bad to worse. If things don't improve, I can foresee many posters leaving, never to return.

Tonight is 1 mile reps in the forest.

02/07/2013 at 10:58

Agreed TE - I'm sick of pulling up a thread only to find I'm on the very first page of it or looking at posts from 2005 or something!

02/07/2013 at 11:46

Morning all,

Agreed!  Silly old website is driving me mad.

Just been out for a hilly plod of 5.78 miles.  Legs felt good 

Columba, please don't give up on crochet.  I've always been better and faster at it than knitting for some reason.  If you get stuck or don't understand anything please just email me and I'll try to guide you through it.

IW, I know I've said it elsewhere but well done to you both 

TE, sadly my breathing isn't any better, I'm just choosing to ignore it until it makes me stop 

02/07/2013 at 12:14

Touch wood, I don't seem to be having the same problems with the website that many of you are. This may be because I only ever get onto it direct from my email, - it emails me when there's been a "reply" to one of my posts, and includes a link; - click on the link and I get direct to the final page of "mature runners" (or whatever).

Red - I won't give up on the crochet yet - though that being said, I am part-way through knitting a pair of legwarmers for Younger Daughter, so maybe I should concentrate on those for a bit. Looking back on it, I don't think the course was very well taught. However, we were given some hand-out patterns at the end, which includes a pattern for fingerless gloves (knitted in a spiral) which I would quite fancy trying.

Should be going out with the running club this evening, - it's supposed to be "a short run off-road" but not sure what "short" will be. Then tomorrow I hop on a train and go to London for a week, staying with Elder Daugher, S-i-L and grand-daughter, for who I am babysitting on Sunday while her parents go to Wimbledon. Middle Son is taking Thursday off work and will take me to an athletics track where I hope to run a proper "measured mile". In his teens he used to run (ran for East Wales on occasion) and wants to see how fast he can run now, - evidently thinking of getting back "into" it.

Don't know if I shall post much while in London, - depends how free I feel I can make with ED and S-i-L's ipad.

02/07/2013 at 12:16

Oh, dear! - That should be "for whom I am babysitting", not "who!" - no facility for editing; where has that gone?

02/07/2013 at 16:05

Have fun Columba.

Thanks Redhead - our season is picking up now, we have entered a swim-and-run on 28 July, a sprint tri on 4 August, another one for me on 17 August, and an Olympic distance for John on 18 August. I don't fancy that one, the bike course is way too steep for me. So I'll do the sprint the day before and pedal my little legs off! Got a couple more in mind, another sprint in Mainz, and the last Olympic of the season on 15 September, one of my very favourite races. It's the one where the swim is in the Rhine river, so super fast. I can't normally swim quicker than 25 mins for 1km, but in that race I've swum 2.8km in under 20!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.