'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

163,641 to 163,660 of 166,432 messages
02/07/2013 at 11:46

Morning all,

Agreed!  Silly old website is driving me mad.

Just been out for a hilly plod of 5.78 miles.  Legs felt good 

Columba, please don't give up on crochet.  I've always been better and faster at it than knitting for some reason.  If you get stuck or don't understand anything please just email me and I'll try to guide you through it.

IW, I know I've said it elsewhere but well done to you both 

TE, sadly my breathing isn't any better, I'm just choosing to ignore it until it makes me stop 

02/07/2013 at 12:14

Touch wood, I don't seem to be having the same problems with the website that many of you are. This may be because I only ever get onto it direct from my email, - it emails me when there's been a "reply" to one of my posts, and includes a link; - click on the link and I get direct to the final page of "mature runners" (or whatever).

Red - I won't give up on the crochet yet - though that being said, I am part-way through knitting a pair of legwarmers for Younger Daughter, so maybe I should concentrate on those for a bit. Looking back on it, I don't think the course was very well taught. However, we were given some hand-out patterns at the end, which includes a pattern for fingerless gloves (knitted in a spiral) which I would quite fancy trying.

Should be going out with the running club this evening, - it's supposed to be "a short run off-road" but not sure what "short" will be. Then tomorrow I hop on a train and go to London for a week, staying with Elder Daugher, S-i-L and grand-daughter, for who I am babysitting on Sunday while her parents go to Wimbledon. Middle Son is taking Thursday off work and will take me to an athletics track where I hope to run a proper "measured mile". In his teens he used to run (ran for East Wales on occasion) and wants to see how fast he can run now, - evidently thinking of getting back "into" it.

Don't know if I shall post much while in London, - depends how free I feel I can make with ED and S-i-L's ipad.

02/07/2013 at 12:16

Oh, dear! - That should be "for whom I am babysitting", not "who!" - no facility for editing; where has that gone?

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
02/07/2013 at 16:05

Have fun Columba.

Thanks Redhead - our season is picking up now, we have entered a swim-and-run on 28 July, a sprint tri on 4 August, another one for me on 17 August, and an Olympic distance for John on 18 August. I don't fancy that one, the bike course is way too steep for me. So I'll do the sprint the day before and pedal my little legs off! Got a couple more in mind, another sprint in Mainz, and the last Olympic of the season on 15 September, one of my very favourite races. It's the one where the swim is in the Rhine river, so super fast. I can't normally swim quicker than 25 mins for 1km, but in that race I've swum 2.8km in under 20!

02/07/2013 at 20:40

IW
Good tri outcomes despite the problems.
Hope the Rhine swimming course isn't reversed!

Columba
Enjoy the trip to Lunnon and the baby with whom you will be sitting.

Off to trawl the internet for some new trail shoes
JJ

Edited: 02/07/2013 at 20:41
02/07/2013 at 20:49

No chance of that JJ! It's completely impossible to swim upstream. They even have a bunch of guys in kayaks herding all the swimmers to the left about 200m before the exit from the river, where there's men in wetsuits standing in the water ready to pull you out. If you miss it, you'd have to look for another place to climb out further down the river - there's no way back against that current, it's super strong!

02/07/2013 at 20:54

Sorry folks, lost the thread due to my bookmarks disappearing, I see I'm not alone.

Got my GFA place confirmed for VLM next year

10k race tomorrow.

02/07/2013 at 21:32

Oh well done 00! I'm jealous, as the marathon was always my favourite distance and I'm now banned from more than a half. Actually at the moment I'm having trouble even running a decent 10km.

02/07/2013 at 21:38

'OO' - good about VLM. Best of luck in tomorrow's 10k.

JJ - so you're hitting the trails again?

BIW - it could be quite frightening, getting swept along in that current.

6.19 miles with the running club. Some was on road, some off, all hilly, culminating at a triangulation point, from where it was a lovely down down downhill.

03/07/2013 at 08:49

Columba - yes, my first time racing there I was scared to death, didn't even want to jump off the ferry. Now I love it, it's like swimming in the sea. There are safety boats all the way down the course, as there is shipping coming up the other side.  It does give you an appreciation of the awesome power of the river though.

03/07/2013 at 09:17

00 50, congratulations on your GFA for next years VLM. Good luck with your 10k.

BIW, best of luck with your tri's.

JJ, Sweatshop have a half price summer sale on at the moment, and Wiggle have lots of offers.

Columba, another interesting session for you at last nights club session.

Did 3 x 1 mile over the "switchback circuit" in the forest last night with the club. Today is the mile of mile event at Southampton running track, but I am unable to partake, as off later today as it's my daughter's wedding tomorrow. I probably won't be posting again until the weekend, and won't run again until Sunday as my right calf is "telling me" I'm overdoing it.

Still no bookmarks and took three attempts to log in. Hopefully all will be fixed by the time I'm back

03/07/2013 at 11:26

Enjoy the wedding TE, and rest that leg.

03/07/2013 at 13:09

Thanks BIW.

03/07/2013 at 19:11

Here's a new photo of my beautiful young dog Charly

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/6763/gallery/photo_from_marion.jpg?width=350

03/07/2013 at 21:11

Phew, back on at last!  I have tried and tried throughout the day but to no avail.

IW, he's gorgeous.  What a bonny lad 

TE, hope the wedding goes well.

Columba, enjoy the baby sitting, and crawling and crying and laughing..........

00 congratulations.  Not sure if I'll do it next year, but we'll see.

For me it was another struggle today.  I think it was the humidity this time.  Managed 5.65 miles but couldn't manage the hill reps I'd planned.  I'll try again tomorrow instead.

03/07/2013 at 22:13

Went to see latest granddaughter today.

Ordered a pair of Mizuno off roaders at 35% discount. My road shoes are Mizuno. I quite like the "wave" system of support.

Columba
This time of the year I do most of my occasional runs at least partly off road.

TE
Are you making a wedding speech?

IW
Nice looking animal. Is he fully grown now?

Redhead
I would never do more than short runs if it's humid.
JJ

04/07/2013 at 07:06

Thanks Redhead, I'm biased of course but I think Charly's a lovely dog. Unfortunately probably not good enough to show because he tends to carry his tail too high when in motion and that's a bad fault, but I'm more interested in his working ability, not in the show ring.

JJ - pretty much grown in height, over the next 6 months  or so he will fill out some more and pack on muscle, his chest needs a bit more development but he's still a youngster..

04/07/2013 at 07:50