'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

163,661 to 163,680 of 167,182 messages
06/07/2013 at 19:49

I'm back now after my Daughter's wedding, and just about recovered from drinking more than usual and eating fry ups for breakfast. The wedding went very well and my daughter looked really beautiful in her wedding dress. I had prepared a wedding speech, but when we sat down for the Reception Meal, it somehow got overlooked.

I haven't run since Tuesday, so looking forward to tomorrows forest run. It will be interesting to see if the "rest" results in improved pace. I will probably race my 5th RR10 on Wednesday at Marwell Zoo, and a week tomorrow is the New Forest 10 mile race. This was cancelled last year due to the course being flooded, but should be hot and sunny this year.

Red, well done on your award! There are certainly things more important than running and racing.

07/07/2013 at 17:12

It must be the hottest day of the year today and ran 6.19 miles in the forest this morning. This will be good conditioning for next Sundays NF 10 mile race, which will be as hot, or hotter.

I'm watching the tennis which is at an amazing standard, especially in 40 degrees heat. Murray is nearly there, but can his nerve hold? Mine can't, that is why I'm writing this instead of sitting in front of the TV with the tension building. It's 5-4 now in the 3rd set to Murray, so fingers crossed, on Murrays serve, he will be there.

07/07/2013 at 18:26

JJ, Glastonbury seems to stretch. We arrived around lunchtime Tuesday, and left late morning the following Monday. Main stages have music on Friday, Saturday & Sunday, but there's so much else to see.

Many congratulations on your award Red - well deserved.

Couldn't watch all the tennis either - had to dip in and out.

Still not running, but may try a short one a bit later if it gets cooler. Still rather a lot of gunk, though Red wouldn't let that stop her.

07/07/2013 at 18:26

Oh wow, what a gladiatorial match!  I couldn't watch either except with one eye peeping through fingers. How could they play like that in such heat? The euphoria will carry me through to the end of next week I think. Absolutely brilliant.

07/07/2013 at 18:37

Congratulations to the Fundraiser of the Year!  Red, it could not have gone to anyone more deserving.

TE - Oh, weren't you on tenterhooks, thinking they were going to call on you for that speech any minute?  I am glad the wedding matched all expectations and you must have been very proud of your daughter.

Daughter H did well in her sprint triathlon this morning and we had beautiful weather to cheer her on. I spent quite a lot of the time charging round a field with the hound to wear him out. He follows me everywhere and barks at me every time I sit down. He wants to play, train, run all day and all evening. 

07/07/2013 at 19:12

Matsmum, my daughter had told me she didn't want any speeches, but I had prepared one, just in case. As it turned out, no one mentioned it, so I didn't have to speak. I was very proud of her, and she looked really beautiful in her lovely dress. Your family seems to be very sporty and you must be very proud of them. 

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
07/07/2013 at 19:41

Well deserved award, Redhead. You have certainly earned it.

Diana - I'm envious, you obviously had a great time

Well done to daughter H, Matsmum.

That tennis had me exhausted, what a wonderful final. There were some really incredible shots played from both players, but I really started to worry in that last game, Andy  slipped a bit from having 3 Championship points but all was well in the end. I thought Djokovich made a very good speech as losing finalist, and Ivan Lendl actually did crack a tiny bit of a smile! Well done Andy!

07/07/2013 at 22:11

Murray did well today. He actually fought for the Wimbledon title which is something that has been slightly missing from similar recent contestants.

Lets hope we can find someone who can win the London marathon. Not holding my breath though!
JJ

08/07/2013 at 09:09

JJ a Brit winning the London Marathon?  I was going to say "don't make me laugh," but then I thought of Mo Farah. I do believe he is in with a chance in due course.

Another lovely bright morning, with forecast of 29 degrees. Will be off for a forest run later.

08/07/2013 at 10:40

Yes I'd agree there, and he has announced his intention to eventually try one. He has all the necessary attributes for success.

Another hot day here.

08/07/2013 at 14:33

Afternoon all,

Thanks for your kind words.  Been out really early each day as it's been unbearably hot.  Much respect to the tennis players.  I thought the semi with Djokovic and Del Potro was outstanding and Murray played his socks off and deserved to win.  At least he had the good grace to refer to himself as British this time.

Runs?  5.68 xc, 5.77 with hill reps, 7.31 xc and 5.79 xc today.  Today was day 78 so only 33 more to go.  Total streaky mileage now at 485.94 and my year to date total is 933.44 

Edited: 08/07/2013 at 14:37
08/07/2013 at 21:30

Still not sure about Farah's marathon potential but at least he starts with a pace pedigree which is more important that starting with an endurance inclination.
He would need to run about 9 x 5k in about 14 minutes each to be up with the best. That's a tall order when most of his 5k races are not much under 14 minutes.

Redhead
Impressive running stats there. A few ago I did 1800 miles in one year so you are on target to beat that.

08/07/2013 at 21:40

I ran 6 miles in the forest this morning over a hilly course and pushed hard. I deliberately took no water, as I wanted to "toughen up" for Sunday. I will, of course, take drinks at the 3 drink stations during the race. My average HR was 121 and max.140.

Red, your streak is going very well, especially considering that you haven't given in to your breathing problems.  My total mileage is 986, but I'm sure yours would have been ahead of mine if you hadn't been sticking to a daily target.

08/07/2013 at 22:10

TE, sorry, I forgot to say I'm glad your daughter's wedding went well.

I'm definitely missing longer runs and will probably start reintroducing them in the next week or so.

09/07/2013 at 09:28

Red, thanks for that. It was a great day and everyone enjoyed themselves.

Another bright and sunny morning, with forecast of 29 degrees. We have hill reps in the forest this evening, when it may be a bit cooler.

I'm getting fed up with the captcha codes. It took me 5 goes to get in. I've got my bookmark events back, but they aren't in chronological order. They seem to be in the order that I added them. I've posted several times on the web problems threads and everyone seems to be having the same problems.

09/07/2013 at 10:09

Morning all,

Well I haven't got my bookmarks and it takes ages to get onto the site!

I did 5.6 miles mostly xc this morning and became entangled in brambles whilst climbing over and overgrown stile.  My legs looked as if I'd been attacked by razor blades and there was blood all over my legs.  Ouch   Savlon made them feel better 

TE, hope your run is cooler this evening as it was very hot here yesterday evening.

09/07/2013 at 21:01

Lovely day with granddaughter. I have never come across a 9 month old child who is so much fun.

TE
What is your maximum heart rate and resting HR?
JJ

10/07/2013 at 06:19

Other problems I've come across on here - our Pirate symbol has disappeared. Sometimes I find myself on the first page of a thread instead of the last. No bookmarks, as you all said. And on our Tri forum there's a long-running thread where we all post our training points (1 for every 400m swum, 1 for every 3 miles cycled, 1 for every mile run). Copying and pasting the last post to add your points is a nightmare, when you add something and then paste it, all the spaces and line returns disappear! It's a pain having to add them all back in each time.

10/07/2013 at 09:44

Red, thanks. It was still quite hot for last nights club session, but the midges didn't bother us too much. We did 3 sets of 5 minutes continuous running over the "big dipper" circuit, with 5 minutes recovery between each over a different circuit. We were in two groups, so whilst one did the speed circuit, the other did the recovery one.

JJ my heart rates haven't been arrived out "scientifically" but my early morning rate is usually 52 and the highest I have reached in the last few months was 166. This was measured after the last hill rep run on grass. I don't think this was very accurate as it was taken on my old HRM which wasn't very reliable. If I use the following formula, which is more accurate than the 220 - age, i.e 214- (0.8x age), this produces 214-54 =160. This is probably fairly realistic, but I will try to establish an up to date reading on my new Garmin 210 which I believe to be more reliable.

10/07/2013 at 11:08

Morning all,

Another hot one!  Treddy for me with an attempt at a bit of speedwork which was really hard going.  Struggled throughout my 6 miles and sweated like a good 'un 

The site really is rubbish at the moment.  I wonder what's going on.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.