'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

163,681 to 163,700 of 165,821 messages
09/07/2013 at 21:01

Lovely day with granddaughter. I have never come across a 9 month old child who is so much fun.

TE
What is your maximum heart rate and resting HR?
JJ

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
10/07/2013 at 06:19

Other problems I've come across on here - our Pirate symbol has disappeared. Sometimes I find myself on the first page of a thread instead of the last. No bookmarks, as you all said. And on our Tri forum there's a long-running thread where we all post our training points (1 for every 400m swum, 1 for every 3 miles cycled, 1 for every mile run). Copying and pasting the last post to add your points is a nightmare, when you add something and then paste it, all the spaces and line returns disappear! It's a pain having to add them all back in each time.

10/07/2013 at 09:44

Red, thanks. It was still quite hot for last nights club session, but the midges didn't bother us too much. We did 3 sets of 5 minutes continuous running over the "big dipper" circuit, with 5 minutes recovery between each over a different circuit. We were in two groups, so whilst one did the speed circuit, the other did the recovery one.

JJ my heart rates haven't been arrived out "scientifically" but my early morning rate is usually 52 and the highest I have reached in the last few months was 166. This was measured after the last hill rep run on grass. I don't think this was very accurate as it was taken on my old HRM which wasn't very reliable. If I use the following formula, which is more accurate than the 220 - age, i.e 214- (0.8x age), this produces 214-54 =160. This is probably fairly realistic, but I will try to establish an up to date reading on my new Garmin 210 which I believe to be more reliable.

10/07/2013 at 11:08

Morning all,

Another hot one!  Treddy for me with an attempt at a bit of speedwork which was really hard going.  Struggled throughout my 6 miles and sweated like a good 'un 

The site really is rubbish at the moment.  I wonder what's going on.

10/07/2013 at 12:21

bookmarks gone again- takes ages to find the thread without them!

I missed a race last night due to a swollen foot. Nothing serious- should be OK for my big race on Sunday a 13 miler in Northumberland.

Lovely weather here too  

10/07/2013 at 16:15

Very hot here too. Ran a steady 6 miles in the forest.

00 50 hope your foot is ok for your Sunday race.

The site really is the pits now and I wouldn't be surprised if it crashed. I dread to think how many posters have already "abandoned ship!"

10/07/2013 at 19:00

Cycle commute home tonight, 34km and 2 hills.

John took the dogs out about 2 hours ago - so obviously he's either taken them swimming or lost Nemo again! Or both! I want my dinner!

10/07/2013 at 21:07

Hope you've eaten now IW!

00, hope your foot unswells quickly 

10/07/2013 at 21:24

Just logged in again and the captcha codes have gone! Perhaps they have listened to the many complainants who have needed several attempts before they could log in.

11/07/2013 at 06:08

Yes Redhead, I had! John took another route in the forest to a different pond for the dogs to swim in. Surprisingly, he said Nemo came right away when called, that's a first, usually you can't get him out of the water. Maybe he was hungry too. The reason John was so late was he had trouble with his knees, was reduced to walking back instead of running.

11/07/2013 at 09:47

Morning all,

Another trouble free log in this morning, things are looking up

A long reps session with club this evening in forest. I've no idea how long is long, but should be good.

11/07/2013 at 18:10

Evening all,

Been busy all day and just waiting for some friends to come round for a barbecue.  The wine is chilled 

Ran all xc today with no problems which made a nice change.  5.65 miles in total.

TE, hope you enjoy the forest run.

11/07/2013 at 20:59

Busy day for me too. The weekend will be busier though. As the weather's good we're taking 3 grandchildren to Camber Sands for the weekend.

Redhead
Nice to see  your trouble free run report.

00 50
Good luck for the race.

IW
What's John's knee problem?

TE
Your HR is roughly where I would expect it to be.
In my book long reps are 800m or more.
JJ

Edited: 11/07/2013 at 21:00
12/07/2013 at 06:29

JJ, if I only had the answer to that. John's been told by various medical folks that he has 1. arthritis in his foot, 2. arthritis in his knees, 3. no arthritis at all, 4. lack of cartilage, 5. his kneecaps are worn, 6. he pronates badly. He blames his present problems on Nemo, says every time he tries to run with my dog, Nemo "knocks my knees out".

12/07/2013 at 07:29

Morning all,

Not running until later today as I've got a busy morning.

IW, LOL at Nemo causing John's knee problems although it seems as valid a reason as the suggestions form the medical profession!

JJ, good luck with Camber - it will be heaving at the weekend.  The little ones will love exploring there and there are always lots of shells to collect 

Have a lovely weekend everyone.

12/07/2013 at 09:43

Red, thanks. It was still very hot last night and we did reps over circular routes which were hilly, twisting and turning with tree roots and stumps underfoot..

JJ, I'm glad you think my Heart Rates are about right for my age and level of fitness. The distances met your definition of long reps. as we did 3 x 0.43 mile and one shorter to finish off at 0.29.

It's looking as if the temperature could be in the thirties on Sunday for our New Forest 10 mile race. It is always very hot for this race, which starts at 11.15. It used to start at 1.15, and so many runners complained about this being at the hottest time of the day, that they changed it to 11.15. This still takes us through midday, so it would be much more sensible to start it earlier.

12/07/2013 at 09:49

My weekly mileage in settings is now back to miles, and not "up to a stone." My bookmark events, however, are still not in chronological order.

12/07/2013 at 11:20

I didn't really explain that reference to Nemo, Redhead - John says Nemo pulls him so much that he has to keep braking and that puts strain on his knees! Funny enough, I don't have a problem running with Nemo or Charly but I do agree that both together pull like a train trying both to be the one in front!

Lovely weekend everyone, it seems set for fair weather. My turn again to cycle home tonight, followed by swim training, hurrah!

12/07/2013 at 20:51

A hot day due tomorrow. Beach and ice cream weather.

TE
I don't do heat very well. I might run a 5k at 30C but even that would make me struggle.

Redhead
The big problem if Camber is crowded will be keeping all three kids in view all the time but giving them enough freedom to enjoy themselves. By the time we get home after 2 days I shall need a holiday.

IW
If I were John I would be inclined to get a scan done on the knee.
JJ

13/07/2013 at 07:41

Morning all,

OMG the forecast is for 30+ today and they've warned to keep out of the sun between 11am and 3pm.  This is exactly what it was like when I ran the Kent 50 miler 6 years ago - we had a massive thunderstorm at 6am when we set out which carried on for 6 hours (thunder, lightning and torrential rain) then the wind came and dried us off and the sun came out and baked us.  It was 33 degrees and I still can't believe I ran for 7 hours in that temperature - and I felt OK.

JJ, I know I've missed you but the local paper said that last Sunday there were 30,000+ people at Camber with 5 mile queues to get into the car parks which were full by 10am!  I hope you manage to get there safely and take care in the sun.  You're going to have a tough time watching the little 'uns in crowds like that and you'll have earned the wine that is undoubtedly chilling in the fridge 

Take care in the sun everyone.  I'm treadmilling when I've finished typing this as the pollen level feels high this morning.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.