'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

163,701 to 163,720 of 167,010 messages
14/07/2013 at 17:33

Evening all,

Don't worry I haven't deserted, Im just subdued and lethargic in this heat.  It was even hot when I went out at 5:30am, for a perfunctory 5.6 miles, and I came back dripping with sweat.  Yuk!  Mike's hayfever is dreadful, my throat is closed and my eyes pricking and Tinker the cat is flaked out in the cool stone tiles in the kitchen - his fibrosarcomas have returned with a vengeance and we'll soon be making that heart-wrenching trip to the vets as it's a particularly aggressive form of cancer 

TE, that is a very impressive time in this heat.  No need to berate yourself at all.  Better to be sensible and slow down that make yourself ill.

IW, nice run.  I used to love swimming in ponds when i was a nipper but I wouldn't do it now 

14/07/2013 at 17:34

I forgot to say, I don't envy JJ at Camber sand in this heat 

14/07/2013 at 17:44

Red, thanks for that, I was thinking that I had let myself, my club and friends on here down by my lack lustre performance.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
14/07/2013 at 18:07

TE - of course not, you did well considering the temperature.

Red, thanks, I enjoyed it but am a bit sore now. Our family went often to Camber when my brother and I were young - good times, good memories.

14/07/2013 at 19:22

BIW, thanks, I ran to the best of my ability and am afraid the heat got the better of me.

15/07/2013 at 08:05

Oh my goodness it's too hot already!

15/07/2013 at 09:20

It's red hot here too. Forecast is 30 degrees, which I think is about 84 degrees f. Sounds hotter that way. Will go for a recovery run later this morning, as it would be a pity not to make the most of the sunshine.

Athletics is getting a nasty smell again with Powell and Gay failing drug tests. I am really wondering in this day and age whether there is a single sport that isn't tainted by drug cheats.

15/07/2013 at 09:42

NF10 results are out now and I came 262nd out of 775 finishers and was 8th in the 60+ category. I don't feel so bad now as that was a respectable position.

15/07/2013 at 21:08

I ran a steady 6 miles this morning and didn't appear to have had any after effects from yesterdays race. Perhaps I'm acclimatising to the heat. 

15/07/2013 at 21:26

Very disappointing about the drugs issue.

TE, that's an excellent result!  Great that you ran well this morning too.

I forgot to say that I ran on the treddy when I first got up at 5am and even then I struggled with the heat.  It's been a horrid day for hayfever and asthma although oddly enough Mike's been fine.

We've got the fans ready in anticipation of another muggy night.

15/07/2013 at 21:48

'lo all.
Great weekend at Camber with the grandchildren. It was very crowded until you moved away about 200m from the beach access points. Fortunately most folks are too idle to walk 200m. Temperatures were just right with a gentle sea breeze to take the edge off the heat.

Used the sand dunes to do some very tough hill reps which left me with wibbly legs. 

Isn't Mr. Froome doing rather well. Most impressive to blow away the opposition on a road as challenging as Mont Ventoux.

Redhead
I put your 50 miler down to being young and inexperienced. After all, it was 6 years ago.

You have fans? Is there an official fan club now?

TE
You have virtually no chance of a classy time in the current heat unless you are fully acclimatised. Write it off to experience.
One problem is that the heart has extra work to do. It has to provide oxygen to the muscles and pump blood to the skin surface capillaries to keep body temperature down. It ends up with a bit of a split personality.
JJ

16/07/2013 at 08:15

Morning all,

LOL JJ!  Glad you had a nice time but don't envy you the sand dunes as I struggle enough just walking up them.

I'm just nipping out for a xc plod before the heat intensifies.

16/07/2013 at 09:07

Morning, 31 degrees forecast for today and 32 tomorrow.

JJ, hill reps on sand dunes in that heat, very impressive. Sand dunes were a staple diet for our great runners of the past. That's probably why they were faster than our current crop.

Red, enjoy your xc run before it gets too hot. I'm not running until this evening, when we are having our monthly social forest run, with drinks afterwards. Hopefully, it will be a little cooler by then.

16/07/2013 at 09:24

On the subject of falling race standards, I checked my records and my fastest time for the NF 10 mile is 1.01.30 set in 1989, and I was 105th and 28th in the 40-45 age category. That time in Sundays race would have made 7th place overall and first vet! I know Sunday was very hot, but it has always been so, and the races started later too at 1.15 until 5 or 6 years ago.

16/07/2013 at 10:57

Just got out and back before the temperature started to rise too much.  Phew!  Just 5.71 miles xc, mostly through woodland, and I managed not to trip over any tree roots for a change 

TE, I hope it is cooler for you this evening.  You ran 10 miles in 1:01?  Wowee, that is very impressive!  I'll be chuffed to bits if I can manage 8 miles in that time eventually.

16/07/2013 at 12:58

Hello all.

Got back from London last Tuesday, only to find that my router had died. BT sent a new one, but not as promptly as they said they would. It arrived yesterday so I'm back with internet access again.

Seems to be cooler here than you've got it in the Sarf-East. I only ran once while I was in London, and then only 3 miles, at 8.00 a.m., staying as far as possible in the shade of the trees on Wandsworth Common. Have run 3 times since I got home, setting out very early (5 or 6 o'clock - that is early for me) to avoid the heat, but today it was cloudy and entirely bearable, - there was even some faint misty drizzle some of the time. Sun's out now, though. 

16/07/2013 at 20:35

Welcome back Columba!  Hope you had a lovely time.

I am too hot to settle at anything.

16/07/2013 at 21:40

Is 'ot.
Still gardening and dog walking though.

TE
Nice time for your 10 mile run a few years back. The 1980s were about the peak for British road and track distance running. I know a guy who ran 52 minutes for 10 miles in the early 80s and couldn't get in his club team because they had 3 men who ran sub-50. He reckoned the training was very unscientific in those days. You went out with a group and ran up to 20 miles getting steadily faster until there was only one person left.

Your real test is not to compare times but to compare age graded performance.

Columba
Be positive. You weren't away long enough to lose any fitness.
JJ

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
17/07/2013 at 06:06

I am so shocked and horrified I just have to share this with you. The police have found in our area a group of men who are into bestiality, i.e. sodomizing animals, mostly dogs although, sorry Redhead, the police also found a horse amongst the mistreated animals. One poor little bulldog was so badly injured he had to be put down immediately. Is there no end to humanity's evil? I am sick to my soul - they had one GSD with its muzzle taped and back legs strung up in the air, presumably to make it easier to attack.

17/07/2013 at 07:37

Oh IW, that is sickening isn't it.  How can anyone be so depraved?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.