'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

163,721 to 163,740 of 167,303 messages
17/07/2013 at 09:57

Columba, welcome back. Hope your new router "is up to speed."

JJ, the eighties were an amazing decade for distance running. To get 50 runners under the hour in 10 mile races was not uncommon. As you say, training wasn't scientific, every session seemed to be a burn up, followed by x number of pints of beer. No gels energy drinks etc. Good honest blood sweat and tears. I do base all my race times nowadays on age related statistics. I will probably never achieve an 81% WAVA again, but aim for mid 70s.

BIW, what shocking news. I was going to say those men are worse than animals, but that would be degrading to animals. Those men are the lowest form of life and have reached the deepest depths of depravity. I just hope the prison sentences will be as severe as for rapes on humans.

Last nights social club run was, to say the least, interesting. We split into 3 groups doing different routes, and ours got lost in the forest. We found ourselves walking single file through knee high vegetation, taking it in turn to lead, treading the way ahead. We were cautious of Adders possibly lurking under foot, and also ticks. We jokingly said that it was a good high knees core session. A nice cool pint of shandy finished the evening off nicely.

Today is 32 degrees C and 90 degrees F. I will be off for an easy pace run shortly, and will wear my cap and apply plenty of sun lotion.

Sad news that Tod Bennett has died of cancer aged just 51. He was at Team Solent together with Roger Black and Chris Akabussi, and one of the nicest men in athletics.

17/07/2013 at 15:31

Its HOT and so am I!  Mike's in London today where I believe the temperature's in the 30s 

I did a session on the treddy early on thank goodness.  Lots of .25mile @ 8 min miling with .05 recs. 6.01 miles in total and my breathing was OK then - now it's very laboured just sitting here typing.

17/07/2013 at 16:40

Set off for my run this morning at 11.40, a silly time I know, but it was going to be hot whatever time I started. I was very pleased with my run, which was another 6 miler, but included 2 steep hills, and the switchback. I seem to be getting used to the heat, as I felt comfortable, and was even able to push hard over the last mile. I hope to be able to do a long run at the weekend, as the longest I have done since the SDM is 11.5.

17/07/2013 at 21:54

Great big show-off!  I'm still HOT!

17/07/2013 at 22:01

TE - I do admire you, running in the middle of the day in this heat. I suppose you have acclimatised. The only running I'm doing currently is very early in the morning, and I think you've got it hotter than I have here.

Why should you not achieve a WAVA of 80% or thereabouts, if you've done it before?

BIW, that is almost beyond belief. And unlike humans, the animals can't answer questions nor volunteer information, so there's no knowing how many may have been affected, nor over what period of time.

17/07/2013 at 22:15

IW
I am frequently appalled at man's behaviour but I'm sad to say I'm never surprised at the depths to which some people will descend.

TE
Brave guy training in this heat but if you keep hydrated and don't feel any more than a bit uncomfortable I would suggest it's not doing much harm.
Shame about Tod Bennett. He was a class act and no age at all.

Getting back to 80% age grading will be easy. Just do every run flat out and run100+ miles a week.

Redhead
It could be that you are over-typing?
JJ

Edited: 17/07/2013 at 22:16
17/07/2013 at 22:17

As soon as this heatwave recedes  I may need to do a bit of running again.

18/07/2013 at 09:30

JJ, I know you are joking.To do the training you suggest would leave me flat out!!

Columba, I believe the reason that I would find it difficult to attain 80% WAVA again is because it takes longer to recover from hard training sessions and races. Additionally, minor niggles become more likely, and falls quite traumatic.

Red, sorry not meaning to show off. I think my 5 hours at 25 degrees in the SDM have played their part in acclimatising me to the heat.

We have a hill session in the forest this evening.

Take care everyone.

18/07/2013 at 09:35

Morning all,

I'm still HOT!  Tinker the cat and I were out first thing for a little potter around the garden before I went for my run (5.65 miles on a hilly route, 1/2 of which was in the shade of overhanging trees so wasn't too bad).  Now he's lying flat-out on the floor and I'm still dripping with sweat even after showering.

Stay safe everyone and keep well hydrated.  Our elderflower cordial is coming in useful 

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
18/07/2013 at 19:41

I'm feeling the heat as well and the dogs are both flat out too. At least Nemo has the sense to go out on the balcony where there's some fresh cool air. Aftr I finish posting this I think I'll join him - Charly will follow me.

18/07/2013 at 21:03

Quite a nice breeze blowing today. Spent a lot of time doing cosmetic work at younger son's house which is being sold.

The doodle has been having a swim on her morning walk while it's very hot. Whenever we get about 300m from one of her swimming places she starts quickening her pace until she runs the last 100m very fast. When she gets there she waits for my arrival standing in the shallows until I throw the ball for her to swim out and fetch. I've noticed she always turns round clockwise to swim back. Are all dogs the same?

I intend to market a new perfume called wet labradoodle. It's a bit "different" and good at getting rid of unwanted company.

JJ

18/07/2013 at 21:20

Very hot and humid this evening, but not so many midges. Perhaps it was too hot for them.. Our session was scheduled to be 6 minutes continuously up and down each of 3 hills, with 2 minutes recovery between each hill. This was modified owing to the heat for health and safety reasons, and instead we did 3 minutes continuously, but did each hill rep twice. We therefore did the same distance, but in a safer way. 

JJ, you should go on "The Apprentice" with your "wet labradoodle" perfume. I'm sure Lord Sugar would say "You're hired!"

18/07/2013 at 21:41

TE
Good thinking!
Lots of nice tributes today about Todd Bennett.

The training session looks suspiciously like Kenyan Hills.
JJ

18/07/2013 at 21:42

TE - all the reasons you give for being unable to achieve an 80% WAVA (which you have done in the past) are just as likely to apply to everyone else in your age group, so surely the 80% WAVA takes that into account?

Lol at the wet labradoodle!

I went out just after 6.00 this morning to run 6 miles, which included 4 x half a mile, each of which I tried to run at around 11 mm (successfully) as that's the pace I'm aiming for at the half mara in mid-September. Short walk breaks in between. Hardly anyone around; two dog walkers and another runner. One of the dog walkers had a German Shepherd as well as another largeish dog with him; I thought of BIW. I also thought, he's being sensible and taking these shaggy dogs out early so they can spend the heat of the day lying in some cool spot. 

19/07/2013 at 05:55

Columba, we take our two out early morning and late evening unless taking them swimming, in which case any old time is good - as far as they are concerned, swimming is the next best thing to food!

19/07/2013 at 09:22

Columba, I'm afraid I don't know the answer. All I know is that a formula is applied relevant to race distance and age. It obviously doesn't take into account temperature, type of route etc. and presumably assumes injury free training. We certainly can't train as hard as in our younger days, and need more recovery days. Coaches certainly don't recommend twice a day training for over sixties. Well done for getting out so early in the morning for your run.

I'm having a rest day today, and tomorrow will do the Brockenhurst 5k parkrun. This starts at 9.00, so should be fairly cool, although there is no shade there whatsoever.

19/07/2013 at 12:01

JJ, interesting observation. I shall watch ours and report back - I don't think they always turn the same way but am not sure enough to put money on it.

19/07/2013 at 18:23

Phew, what a scorcher again!

I was on the treddy at 6am doing a rather half-hearted tempo session which was most uncomfortable.  5.61 miles of sweating.

JJ, eau de doodle has a certain ring to it!

TE, take care tomorrow.

Stay safe everyone and keep well hydrated.  I'm going to check on some of my elderly neighbours tomorrow by using the gift of elderflower and gooseberry jam.

19/07/2013 at 21:08

Going to Pembroke in west Wales tomorrow for a few days break so unlikely to be posting.

Redhead
Am I near enough to qualify for the jam? I'm certainly old enough.

I had thought of Doodle No.5 but I quite like O de doodle.

JJ

19/07/2013 at 21:13

Red, thanks. I think it is forecast to be a little cooler tomorrow, but I won't push the pace too hard.

Take it easy everyone tomorrow and don't spend too many hours gardening under a hot sun.

It is forecast to get even hotter next week, with temperatures up to 35 degrees c, which is about 90 degrees f. I haven't got a treddie, so will have to run in the middle of the night.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.