'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

163,741 to 163,760 of 165,834 messages
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
19/07/2013 at 12:01

JJ, interesting observation. I shall watch ours and report back - I don't think they always turn the same way but am not sure enough to put money on it.

19/07/2013 at 18:23

Phew, what a scorcher again!

I was on the treddy at 6am doing a rather half-hearted tempo session which was most uncomfortable.  5.61 miles of sweating.

JJ, eau de doodle has a certain ring to it!

TE, take care tomorrow.

Stay safe everyone and keep well hydrated.  I'm going to check on some of my elderly neighbours tomorrow by using the gift of elderflower and gooseberry jam.

19/07/2013 at 21:08

Going to Pembroke in west Wales tomorrow for a few days break so unlikely to be posting.

Redhead
Am I near enough to qualify for the jam? I'm certainly old enough.

I had thought of Doodle No.5 but I quite like O de doodle.

JJ

19/07/2013 at 21:13

Red, thanks. I think it is forecast to be a little cooler tomorrow, but I won't push the pace too hard.

Take it easy everyone tomorrow and don't spend too many hours gardening under a hot sun.

It is forecast to get even hotter next week, with temperatures up to 35 degrees c, which is about 90 degrees f. I haven't got a treddie, so will have to run in the middle of the night.

20/07/2013 at 07:42

Morning all, I've decided to give the parkrun a miss this morning. I don't think a 5k race is a good idea this weather. Will probably go for a slow run instead.

20/07/2013 at 09:55

Morning all,

Very sensible Terry.  I think you've got it hotter over your way today.  Not sure I fancy the 90 degrees they are forecasting either!

Here it was beautifully cool when I went out earlier which encouraged me to venture further - 7.29 miles all off-road and I took loads of photos 

JJ, have a lovely time.  O de Doodle certainly has a ring to it 

20/07/2013 at 11:57

Cooler here today; no sunshine, lots of cloud. Went out just before 6.00 a.m. to run 6 and a half miles, the middle 3 miles being an attempt at a tempo bit, but speed on that bit averaged 11:51mm whereas I'd been aiming for something a bit lower though still starting with 11.

JJ, have a lovely time in Pembroke.

Red, any spare jam...?

20/07/2013 at 17:37

A bit cooler today, with a slight breeze. Ran 6.25 miles in the forest. Some of the trails have been "spoiled" by deep sand being laid over what was gravel or grass.  I suppose this is to soak up the rain, when it comes, to prevent it running downhill.

JJ, enjoy your break.

21/07/2013 at 07:16

Morning all,

The sun isn't out yet, but it is forecast 30 degrees, scorchio Will be starting forest run at 8.30 with club mates. Watching the Frankfurt Iron Man at the moment on Channel 4.

21/07/2013 at 13:01

I've done that race twice, both times it was blisteringly hot like today.The marathon is 4 laps along the river, practically no shade anywhere. At least they provide plenty of ice at the drinks stations. Last time I must have walked most of the last lap, with ice cubes under my hat and inside my bra! I don't cope very well with heat.

Bet it was once again a no-wetsuit swim.

Edited: 21/07/2013 at 13:03
21/07/2013 at 15:07

BIW, wow that's some achievement, especially in hot weather. I was only watching it in the background whilst I was having breakfast, so can't recall the winners. I saw Jodie Swallow come in second woman. She was so far ahead in the swim that she was on the tail end of the men. They featured more of the men's race, and even the leaders were walking thorough the drinks stations during the marathon. It was a no-wetsuit swim.

Ran 7.65 miles in the forest this morning with three club mates We started just after 8.30 and it was cool at first, but soon heated up. We ran over a route that parts of  I hadn't done before. We were making our way along paths that were overgrown, and clearly very seldom used. This made for slow pace but an enjoyable run that was good for endurance.

21/07/2013 at 20:03

TE - I've  done 7 IM distance races but I'm not fast, have never gone below 15 hours. Hubby has a best of 13hrs 22mn, but both of us are retired from IM - his knees are shot and my surgeon says I'm not allowed to run more than 21km after my hip replacement. So now I'm doing mostly Olympic distance (1500m swim, 40km bike,10k run) or sprints (500m to 750m swim, about 20km bike and 5km run).

Bike ride this morning, not one of my better days, I felt sluggish and my legs were sore. I shall ride home from work tomorrow afternoon.

22/07/2013 at 07:58

Morning all,

Phew what a scorcher yesterday.  I was out really early for 6.21 miles along the lanes and am just off to do a speed session on the treddy.  I had hoped to get it done earlier but Esther needed some tlc on a hoof which has delayed me.

IW, I didn't realise that the Olympic distances are less than the IM distances.

22/07/2013 at 08:48

BIW, a very impressive "track record" for you and hubby. I suppose long term injuries are inevitable for IM and endurance runners?

Forecast 34 degrees c 93 f today and thunder storms. Take it easy everyone!

22/07/2013 at 11:33

TE - my case I think it's genetics, my father had hip trouble too. My surgeon tells me to stay active though, so that's good.

Redhead, amongst triathletes the sprint is called.. a sprint! The Olympic distance is called "short", the half-IM is called "middle distance", and the full IM (3.8km swim, 180km bike ride, 42.2km run) is, rightly, called the "long". Commonly the half is referred to as a 70.3 and the IM as 140.6 (miles) or in Germany, a 226 because that's what the kms add up to. An Olympic race is of course very much faster than an IM. I always think it sounds much more impossible to talk about completing 226 kms in one day.

But there are crazy folks out there who actually do a double or triple IM (several of our Pirates have done this), or even more impossible a "Deca" which is 10 IMs one after the other. The world championship Deca is held every year in Mexico.

22/07/2013 at 11:42

10 one after another?  Please tell me they aren't on the same day!

Well I didn't go on the treddy as the garage was sweltering.  Instead I trotted along the lanes and through woodland.  After the first mile I knew I was in trouble.  My head was pounding and my chest was all gunky and my breathing was laboured.  My Garmin kept switching itself off so I lost all track of time.  Thankfully it's a route I do frequently so I knew it was going to be around 5.75 miles so I wasn't worried about the distance.  It was only when Mike phoned to check I was OK that I realised I'd been out a long time - 90 minutes!  90 minutes for 5.75 miles?  Just call me the tortoise from now on 

22/07/2013 at 11:59

Red, I think the heat is playing havoc with our Garmins and HRMs. The other day I was doing a steady run, when all of a sudden the device started bleeping madly and showed 205 bpb. This panicked me for a moment and I felt ill. I slightly moved the strap and it went back to a normal reading. I think some sun lotion had also got onto the terminals, which didn't help matters. Pace this weather is taking it sensibly, so your run doesn't deserve a tortoise rating. We have another RR10 race Wednesday evening, so I hope it is cooler.

Just back from the Hygienist, which knocked me back £50 and have the dentist tomorrow, which will be more expense.

22/07/2013 at 14:26

I like tortoises.

Astonished at some of the things BIW has been telling us that people do. Right up there with the Marathon des Sables, or running a marathon distance every day for 26 successive days, or 7 marathons in 7 days on 7 continenets.

First thing this morning it was cloudy and quite cool, but much hotter now that the sun has come out. Shall be swimming later.

22/07/2013 at 21:14

Well, it's a boy! Any ideas of what he'll be named.? No doubt he will have several Christian names, but I think his first will be Henry.

22/07/2013 at 22:02

Oooh, I heard it on here first!  Well done TE.

Please let it rain tonight and freshen things up.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.