'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

163,781 to 163,800 of 166,847 messages
25/07/2013 at 17:50

Glad to hear from matsmum again. Your life of leisure sounds like mine - never a spare moment!

Great mileage Columba - well done.

Shame you don't get the chance of taking part in the midnight swim BIW.

Amazing staying power, Red. You are so determined.

I thought you were missing last night TE. As you said, there were some quite nice photos taken of me, and I look as if I'm quite enjoying myself, but that RR10 is the one I find the most challenging, especially with the final climb to the finish line. http://hammy8241.smugmug.com/RR10/RR10-2013/RR10-No8-Janesmoor-Pond/30720187_3ZCjtt#!i=2655252498&k=khDmXSp

26/07/2013 at 08:34

Morning all,

Terrible news about the train crash in Spain and shocking footage on the TV News.

It's lovely and cool so far today but apparently it's going to get hotter and more humid later again.  But rain is forecast for tomorrow which is a bit of a shame as we're having our village barbecue tomorrow evening!  Wellies and sundress it is then 

TE I think you're right about the weather affecting my Garmin as it behaved impeccably yesterday.

Columba, nice mileage.  Not long until your 1/2 now and you've been doing some excellent training so I shall make another prediction of your time nearer the event as I wasn't far out last year.  I doubt that I'll miss running every day as I'm craving some long runs 

Diana, great photos.  You're looking really good.

Matsmum, hola! Welcome to the ranks of the retired.  You will find that you haven't got enough hours in the day.  Glad to hear you're starting to run again but please take it easy and don't do too much too soon.

IW sounds like a fun weekend.  I bet you get to swim after dishing out the chips.  I quite fancy having a crack at the Midnight Sun marathon as it must be a very different experience.

Off to do some intervals on the treddy whilst the temperature is bearable.

26/07/2013 at 09:54

Last nights hill reps. were extra tough. I think the Coach was in Sergeant Major mode, because instead of the scheduled 4 sets of 3 x 45 secs up with 60 secs down, she decided we would do 4 sets of 4 x 45 secs up, 60 secs down. To make the session even harder, we had to start the last set of 4 further up the hill, which meant we finished further round the right hand bend which was much steeper. It was a long run out to the session and back, so total mileage was 8.37. I'm having a rest day today, as I want to put in a good effort in Saturdays Brockenhurst Park run. 

Feeling pleased with myself, as I completed the i crossword yesterday for the second time. I try it every afternoon, in an attempt to keep my brain active.

Edited: 26/07/2013 at 09:58
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
26/07/2013 at 10:36

Oh I really miss doing the Telegraph crossword, I used to love that. Of course I can rarely get the paper now, unless I'm near to a large railway station.

26/07/2013 at 15:11

Yes, awful about that train crash - we can really relate to the tragedy of it all as we are in Spain. So sad.

TE - My daughter B does the Guardian prize crossword every Saturday. She has done so since she was a child and used to do it with my father. Now she uses the same clipboard that he used. A couple of months ago she actually won the prize! My dad never did, so I hope he knows! I love crosswords too.

Lol Columba - the mountain run is only 2 miles, although it is one mile down and one mile up which can seem quite arduous in 34 degrees which it is at the moment. This morning I got up at 6am and ran to the statue of the Risen Christ on the next mountain - 4 miles in all.  Absolutely lovely.

Granddaughter Hope (2 years old) and I had a happy time for the morning while the others went shopping. We played with Duplo and made playdough and read some Teletubby stories. Great fun for us both.

Denzel is being a good dog. He and I are understanding each other a lot better. He is learning to play and loves to play hide and seek with me. Yesterday he fell into the swimming pool. He hasn't been swimming before and he swam over to me in the pool and clambered on to me in a panic! Since I was out of my depth which I hate I was beginning to panic too - both of us disappearing under the water! I thought dogs were supposed to save their owners, not drown them!! 

Haven't actually tackled the kettlebells yet, but I have looked at them. That is a good start.

26/07/2013 at 15:14

I used to do the Telegraph cryptic crossword during my commute from Surbiton to Waterloo. Unfortunately, I was never able to complete it, although I came close on a few occasions. I don't buy the Telegraph these days. I've just taken out Chrissie Wellington's book "A life without limits" from the Library, and was wondering whether you had read it.

I'm looking forward to the athletics this evening on BBC 2 and BBC 1 from the Sainsbury's Anniversary Games, which closes with the 100 metres featuring Usain Bolt, Dwain Chambers and brilliant new comer James Dasaolu.

Happy birthday to Sir Mick Jagger, 70 today and still rocking.

26/07/2013 at 18:28

Matsmum, our posts crossed. I once completed the Sunday Observer prize crossword, but didn't win the prize. Well done to your daughter, it sounds like she regularly completes the Guardian prize crossword.

I'm finding it difficult to put down Chrissies book, and I haven't even got to where she started doing tri's yet.

26/07/2013 at 18:51

Yes, it's a very good read, I downloaded it from Amazon onto my Kindle and have read it through several times. She's such a nice person when you meet her. In 2010 the Pirate trip was to Challenge Roth, one of the oldest, biggest and best of the long distance races. Chrissie set the women's world record there 3 years in a row. She always stays in the finish area handing out medals to the other finishers, right up until the last ones running in 8 hours after she did! I knew she had won but not the time, so I asked her as she hung my medal round my neck. I was totally flabbergasted and gasped out "bloody hell, how did you do that?", she laughed, and replied, honestly, I have no idea! She had absolutely smashed the longest-standing record in triathlon.

26/07/2013 at 19:09

TE - Daughter does both of those crosswords and actually I think it was the Observer one she got the prize for. Is that the one Arakaria set the puzzles for? She also is extremely clever at writing crosswords and applied to the Observer to submit them for publication. They said they would come back to her when they have a vacancy! I think some of her cryptic clues are just a bit too cryptic. 

I have not read that book but my son-in-law says it is brilliant and since my OH bought me a kindle fire as a retirement present I will download it. BI - fancy meeting Chrissie! And how lovely that she waits to hand out medals to all the finishers. And well done you,for competing in the race.

Back to crosswords - is it not possible to get the telegraph crossword online? Daughter downloads the Guardian and Observer ones.

26/07/2013 at 23:05

Lovely pictures, Diana, - you look so happy, and so energetic!

Crosswords I don't attempt. But I'm a bit hooked on Sudoku puzzles.

Couldn't help laughing at the image of Denzil trying to clamber out of the water onto Matsmum, and the two of them nearly drowning together! Has he had another go, and did he like it better second time?

27/07/2013 at 07:32

Columba, I like Sudoku puzzles, although I haven't done any lately. They take rather too long to complete.

Off soon for the Brockenhurst 5k park run. It is forecast heavy rain and possible thunder storms later, so I'm hoping it will stay dry until this afternoon. 

27/07/2013 at 12:31

TE - the more you do, the quicker you get (Sudoku)

Hope the rain holds off for you. My brother and niece are driving up from Hastings today, - with any luck they'll run before the storm.

Out at 7.30 this morning to run my 5 hilly miles, but at the last minute changed the route so it became 4.24 hilly miles. I took the moorland road, which is predominantly uphill for the first 2 1/2 miles, so an out-and-back run more-or-less guarantees a negative split.

27/07/2013 at 14:18

Afternoon all,

Did a hot and humid 5.65 undulating miles this morning and struggled with my breathing - it seems to be the humidity that'\s effecting me most.  As I ran through the village the poor hog was already rotating on the spit - I'm glad I'm a vegetarian although the prospect of yet another quiche and salad doesn't fill me with much joy 

LOL at Denzel trying to save himself by climbing on Matsmum.  I'm impressed by your daughter's crossword skills.  My my always did the cryptic one in the Telegraph and always completed it whereas I avoided it like the plague!  

I'm enjoy Sudoku but I'm quite slow at them, especially the super-fiendish ones.  Mike's just bought me a new book of them and I do one before I read my book at bedtime.

Columba, nice negative split.  I can rarely manage that as whichever way I go out I am coming back up a hill.

TE, hope you had a good parkrun.

27/07/2013 at 18:35

Red - you are doing so well. What you are doing is great, especially when you are struggling with your breathing.

I attempted dem bells today, under the auspices of daughter H. My heart sank when she looked at me appraisingly and said " Mum - you need heavier weights!" Off we went to a sports shop to get a heavier kettlebell. And protective gloves. I am rubbish at the abdominals, which just shows how much I need to do this.

Yes, Red, everybody thought Denzel's attempt to save himself at my expense was an absolute hoot. When he was rescued he was so glad to be still alive he went absolutely feral, shaking every towel he could get hold of to death and racing madly round the pool.  I felt quite like that myself!

Soduko puzzles wind me up. Crosswords, however, are really relaxing for me.

It is 7.25pm here and still 91 degrees.  Far too hot for comfort.

Up to the Jesus statue for me tomorrow morning, very early. I do it before the others get up, and then I feel fit for the day. The children are so enjoying their holiday. They are 8, 5 and 2 and a lot of fun. W, who is 8, wants to do the circuit round the mountain, so we are going to buy him some running shoes on Monday.

TE - How did your parkrun go?

27/07/2013 at 19:30

The parkrun went ok, but it wasn't my quickest. I was 14th out of 42 and first 65-69. My WAVA was 73.79 which made me second fastest age related. My time was 23.08, compared with my quickest parkrun of 22.40. My legs felt heavy and I blame the extra tough hill session on Thursday.

Diana, thanks for the encouragement on each lap, it certainly helps.

28/07/2013 at 16:26

Ran 8.25 miles this morning, and ran it on my own for a change. I didn't feel any after effects from yesterdays parkrun, and ran at a good relaxed pace.

I'm watching the ladies football final between Norway and Germany. Germany are leading 1-0 and Norway have missed two penalties. Norway have just had a goal disallowed for offside. Ladies football has improved no end, and their game is skilful and entertaining.

28/07/2013 at 19:30

Diana - I looked at your photos and you look great! I tend to look as if I am struggling in my photos, except for a couple taken during VLM when I spotted that a photo was about to be taken and I managed to pull it together for a minute out of sheer pride!!

TE - Talking about after effects, I am certainly feeling them after the kettlebell session yesterday. I am aching in places I didn't even know existed. I have had a day of rest today, and put my run off until tomorrow. Even my legs, which are usually strong, are heavy.  I have stuck to mountain walks with the dog  and even those have taken effort.

Yes, ladies football has improved immensely. Don't you think women's tennis has as well?  When you see footage of Chris Evert, for example, she just seems to be patting the ball to and fro, and yet at the time I thought she was amazing.

28/07/2013 at 19:56

Swim and run race today, after having only got to bed at 2am, frying chips at the fest means you are always there until the very end, plus I had to dish out salads as well, and slice rolls for the Bratwurst. The race was fun even though I was dead last - but as usual there wasn't anyone else in my AG so I got another medal and certificate. Don't think I've ever swum so slowly!There were 4 in John's AG and he came 3rd - he wasn't too thrilled with that.

28/07/2013 at 21:11

Evening all,

OMG we got wet at the BBQ last night.  It was just looking ominous when I arrived for serving duties but at 6:15 it started to rain and it just got heavier and heavier and the sky went black and there was thunder and lightning.  Some people stayed away (sensible people!) so I expect there was food leftover.  Everyone huddled under either the marquee or in the new Pavilion and tried to remain cheerful.  

We had a nice time all the same and each were given an ice cream cone to eat on the walk home.  It was only .7 mile but we got absolutely drenched!  I was a bit giggly too as I'd had too much red wine 

This morning I was out bright and early for 6.25 miles along the lanes with no problems except I was quite slow.

Apologies for my dreadful typing in my previous post - I must have been in a rush.

IW, it doesn't matter if you were alone in your age group, you still did it 

TE, well done on your parkrun.  An excellent time as always.  Mike's been following the ladies football too.

Matsmum, thanks your kind words.  Your kettleball workout sounds tough.  Please don't do too much too soon.

28/07/2013 at 21:54

'lo all.
Back from the far west in Pembrokeshire. We had a wonderful week. Comfortable cottage right next to the sea on the side of an inlet in a tiny village with no shop or pub and a few inshore fishing boats. About a dozen houses only. Wonderful coastal scenery and walks, Excellent weather every day. Plenty of local fish in restaurants and pubs. No mobile reception and no wifi.

Will read back soon but if anything urgent has happened please let me know.
JJ

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.