'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

163,801 to 163,820 of 166,379 messages
28/07/2013 at 19:30

Diana - I looked at your photos and you look great! I tend to look as if I am struggling in my photos, except for a couple taken during VLM when I spotted that a photo was about to be taken and I managed to pull it together for a minute out of sheer pride!!

TE - Talking about after effects, I am certainly feeling them after the kettlebell session yesterday. I am aching in places I didn't even know existed. I have had a day of rest today, and put my run off until tomorrow. Even my legs, which are usually strong, are heavy.  I have stuck to mountain walks with the dog  and even those have taken effort.

Yes, ladies football has improved immensely. Don't you think women's tennis has as well?  When you see footage of Chris Evert, for example, she just seems to be patting the ball to and fro, and yet at the time I thought she was amazing.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
28/07/2013 at 19:56

Swim and run race today, after having only got to bed at 2am, frying chips at the fest means you are always there until the very end, plus I had to dish out salads as well, and slice rolls for the Bratwurst. The race was fun even though I was dead last - but as usual there wasn't anyone else in my AG so I got another medal and certificate. Don't think I've ever swum so slowly!There were 4 in John's AG and he came 3rd - he wasn't too thrilled with that.

28/07/2013 at 21:11

Evening all,

OMG we got wet at the BBQ last night.  It was just looking ominous when I arrived for serving duties but at 6:15 it started to rain and it just got heavier and heavier and the sky went black and there was thunder and lightning.  Some people stayed away (sensible people!) so I expect there was food leftover.  Everyone huddled under either the marquee or in the new Pavilion and tried to remain cheerful.  

We had a nice time all the same and each were given an ice cream cone to eat on the walk home.  It was only .7 mile but we got absolutely drenched!  I was a bit giggly too as I'd had too much red wine 

This morning I was out bright and early for 6.25 miles along the lanes with no problems except I was quite slow.

Apologies for my dreadful typing in my previous post - I must have been in a rush.

IW, it doesn't matter if you were alone in your age group, you still did it 

TE, well done on your parkrun.  An excellent time as always.  Mike's been following the ladies football too.

Matsmum, thanks your kind words.  Your kettleball workout sounds tough.  Please don't do too much too soon.

28/07/2013 at 21:54

'lo all.
Back from the far west in Pembrokeshire. We had a wonderful week. Comfortable cottage right next to the sea on the side of an inlet in a tiny village with no shop or pub and a few inshore fishing boats. About a dozen houses only. Wonderful coastal scenery and walks, Excellent weather every day. Plenty of local fish in restaurants and pubs. No mobile reception and no wifi.

Will read back soon but if anything urgent has happened please let me know.
JJ

28/07/2013 at 22:04
29/07/2013 at 09:14

JJ, welcome back. Glad you enjoyed your break. Nice pics in your link.

A bit dull and overcast this morning, but hopefully brightening up later. Will be going for an easy pace run later.

I've got the 3rd Progress Meeting this evening for the club's Hardley Half Marathon, which is at 10.00 on 13th October.

29/07/2013 at 09:50

Morning all,

Overcast here too with a strong wind.  I'm heading out for a xc run after lunch.

JJ, lovely views.  Glad you had a nice time. Better get on with your training now as the Brighton 10k is looming large 

29/07/2013 at 11:34

Had a change of plan as something's come up for this afternoon so 5.62 xc miles done and dusted.  The ground is still rock hard.

29/07/2013 at 14:44

Ran 6.25 miles in the forest this morning at good pace. Ground rock hard here too.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
29/07/2013 at 21:08

Nice views JJ.

1200m swum this evening, 1500m for John

29/07/2013 at 21:29

Did a bit of running this morning with the doodle then gardened all day including some heavy digging. Dropped in at the GP's for my regular blood pressure check - no problems.

Heavy rain due tomorrow.

Redhead
Are you still streaking?
JJ

30/07/2013 at 08:51

4 miles yesterday morning round the mountain. Legs strong but still a few aches from the kettlebells. Massively overslept this morning so now I can't run - it is sweltering already. So I am going to learn the yoga salute to the sun sequence, which I am told is the perfect stretch for the whole body.

JJ - Glad you had such a lovely holiday. Does the doodle behave on your run? Did you take him with you on holiday? Sadly I have had to withdraw from the London half marathon in October because of a health issue with my OH which led to my decision to close my preschool. I have had no opportunity to train. But now I am retired and looking forward to more time with OH and implementing a whole body fitness programme which will make me a stronger runner. There is a local half in November some time, so I am hoping to use that schedule you sent me for that. Good that you are back fit and strong.

30/07/2013 at 09:56

Morning all,

We've got rain and wind and the garden and pastureland are very grateful 

JJ, today is day 99 of my 111 day streak and to celebrate I shall be doing longer intervals on the treddy.  I can manage 10 x .25mile @ 8 min miling so I'm going to try .3miles today.  My success is dependent upon my breathing!

Matsmum, well done on your run around the mountain.  Did you sing the song? "I'll be running round the mountain......."  I don't do yoga except for the sun salutation which I like to do outside soon after I arise in the morning.  The horses often stand and watch.  I only do it from Spring through to Autumn but there is something special being outside in the early-morning light 

30/07/2013 at 11:06

Heavy rain here this morning, but expected to clear up later. We have a speed session this evening on the grass track, unless the rain makes it unsuitable. I remember one session last year, when we were splashing through puddles whilst running round. Not very productive, to say the least.

30/07/2013 at 13:57

Well done on the additional exercise regime, Matsmum, although the kttle bells sound as though they'll take some getting used to!

Congratulations on the AG placing at the parkrun TE. We had a minor nightmare with the results, asd the barcode scanner went flat after only 13 runners, so I had to enter all the other details manually, record by record! I've brought the scanner gome to charge off the mains, as they were doing it from the laptop, which I suspect stops charging when it goes to sleep. Fingers crossed for next Saturday.

Glad that the allotment has finally got a proper drink.

800m reps on the trails last night - was still very warm & muggy then, and the trails are not flat, so was quite challenging.

30/07/2013 at 14:08

Diana, thanks. You did a great job with the results, as I got my text soon after arriving home, and the e mail arrived not long after. Those 800 metre reps on trails are tough. We did ours last Tuesday at fiveways, although I only did two, as that was when "I lost" the rest of the runners.

We are scheduled to do 300 metre reps with 100 metre jog recoveries on the grass track at Applemore this evening. The rain has cleared up now, so the surface shouldn't be too bad.

30/07/2013 at 18:27

Lots of rain here over the last few days.

No running done since Saturday as I developed a cold and am running through a range of symptoms, none of which is compatible with anything energetic.

I half-remember the yoga Salute to the Sun; but have come across it from different sources, with different variations. I first learned it as a teenager, long before I had come across yoga, under the name of  "ancient Syrian sun-worshipping exercises". Later, when I started doing yoga, I met it again and realised it was basically the same thing.

30/07/2013 at 20:39

Well, Columba, the ancient Syrian sun has been truly worshipped today!!

Hey, have you read the article in the August RW about older runners? There's a man in his 60s who started kettlebell training a year ago and it has helped his running enormously. I just knew all the suffering would be worthwhile!  

30/07/2013 at 20:40

And recover quickly from that cold, Columba.

30/07/2013 at 21:30

Felt like a run this morning but as it was hissing down I resisted the temptation.

Matsmum
Sorry about you missing the half but they're a bit like buses - another one will be along soon. There's always plenty in the run up to the London marathon.
I run only off road with the doodle. Dogs' leg muscles and joints aren't designed for asphalt or concrete. He's a she.

Columba
Hope the cold symptoms disappear soon. Just for general info, if the cold stays in the nose and is restricted to sneezing a bit of light running is unlikely to do any harm.

Redhead
Stay with .25 mile reps and try for sub-2mins even if you have to lengthen the recoveries a bit. That's more likely to improve your pace than increasing the distance.
JJ

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.