'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

163,821 to 163,840 of 167,304 messages
31/07/2013 at 15:10

Ran an easy pace 5.25 miles this morning. There was a chilly wind, which made a change in the temperature. It is forecast to get hotter again tomorrow.

31/07/2013 at 16:00

Afternoon al,

I forgot to post my session yesterday.  I managed 8 x .3m @ 8 min miling and increased my recs to .15 of power walking which was about 1 min 15 secs.  Total mileage ended up at 6.01 including warm-up and cool-down.  Today was a struggle - the first 3.5 miles were OK but then the wind took my breath away and I struggled for the remaining 2.15 miles.  So that was day 100 done and dusted.  Only 11 more days to go 

JJ, too late with the advice!  Do you mean increase my pace from 8 min miling for .25 mile?  Sorry to be thick.

TE, I shall be out first thing for my run tomorrow if the forecast is correct.

31/07/2013 at 18:26

Kettles done, sun saluted. I can't quite work out the flow from one movement to another so the salutation is a bit stilted, but never mind.

Not long now, Red!  Amazing achievement - any idea what you are going to be up to next?

31/07/2013 at 20:35

Not too bad a day here.
Forgot to mention an amusing holiday incident. Sitting in a pub restaurant and the cat brought in a slow worm and started playing with it under our table. Great assortment of reactions. Ladies standing on chairs, several people and children trying to help me catch it and the cat joining in the fun. Normality was eventually restored.

Indulged myself today and bought a very expensive plant. It's a genuine coral pink delphinium.

Redhead
You're spot on. The whole point of speed training is to get speedier.

Matsmum
Stilted salutations to you!  Kettling will help your overall fitness but it should be in addition to the running, not instead of.
JJ

01/08/2013 at 09:24

JJ, I can just imagine the pandemonium when the cat brought in a slow worm. Did it eventually escape?

Already hot and sunny and 22 degrees. Forecast 30 degrees later. Tonight, we have a hill session in the forest. Hopefully, it will have got a bit cooler by then.

01/08/2013 at 11:35

Morning all,

Too hot already!  Ran nice and early on a tree-lined route to stay in the shade.  5.62 miles.

JJ, OK, I'll stick at .25 and up the pace but I think I will do as you suggest and increase my recs.  That means something beginning with a 7.  Eek, scary stuff!

Matsmum, I'm going for a faster 10k in November but nothing other than that planned, at the moment anyway 

I'm now plotting my 2014 challenge 

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
01/08/2013 at 16:26

It's hot again here! Back up in the 30s again and not a cloud in sight. Will have to wait until later tonight before running.

01/08/2013 at 21:53

Redhead
I had your 10k in mind when I suggested increasing the pace of the intervals. Try and make it a weekly session for about 8 weeks and you'll find sub-8 miling isn't a problem.

TE
A lady picked it up. I took it from her to show the kids in the restaurant and explained about it being a harmless legless lizard then the lady took it outside.

Coincidently, when I got home from Wales I took the dog out for a walk and saw another slow worm crossing my path. That made two in four days and I hadn't seen one for a very long time.
JJ

01/08/2013 at 22:30

I'm glad the slow worm got away. There are quite a few around here, though I haven't seen one yet this year. 

Felt much better this morning and ran 4 miles, just the usual route to the lake, once round and back. It was early enough that there were still longish shadows to run in, but got very hot later.

Red - 100 days - well done you!

Matsmum - maybe you could find a Salute to the Sun demo on YouTube? (It appears you can find almost anything on YouTube) - there may be some versions which flow better than others.  

02/08/2013 at 09:03

Morning all,

Today is still too hot for my liking and very oppressive/humid.  Will be doing hill reps later.

JJ, I forgot to comment on the slow worm.  Since you mentioned it I realised I haven't seen any for about 3 years.  OK, I'm trusting you on the sub 8 min miling thing but the thought of maintaining the pace for 10k is rather daunting.  How many reps should I do?  My usual 10?  Thanks Coach 

Anyone racing this weekend?  I'm not, too hot for that sort of thing 

02/08/2013 at 09:37

Morning,

It was unbelievably hot and humid last night, and our training session "went to rats!" The session was scheduled for 3 sets of 2.5 laps up and down 3 hills in a figure of eight. Each set was .88 mile and we managed 2 sets but declined to do a third. However, after a longer recovery period, some of us agreed to do a third session, but just one lap. Everyone was absolutely shattered at the end and agreeing that the conditions were too hostile to have completed the whole programme. I have never seen so many of us looking so drained and feeling exhausted.

Thankfully, I'm feeling ok this morning, but taking a well earned rest day. I'm intending to do the Brockenhurst park run on Saturday, but not expecting a quick run.

Take care everyone in the heat and remember only "mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the noon day sun."

02/08/2013 at 12:33

5.65 miles of sweaty hill reps done.  Not at all enjoyable but necessary.

JJ, should I aim for a specific speed during my hill reps?

TE, I'm not surprised you all struggled yesterday. I wouldn't have even attempted running in the evening.  Take care if you do the parkrun.

02/08/2013 at 17:43

Yes Redhead, John and I are doing another sprint triathlon on Sunday, start is at 10am so will probably be a hot one! The swim is in a river so that will be a nice cool start.

Carmen Scales from the forum is swimming the Channel today to raise money for Diabetes U.K., she started at 6:15am and according to the pilots' tracker is now about 5km from the French shore. Unfortunately the tide seems to have turned her away from Cap Gris Nez and she's heading south, the boat tracker shows two other boats are close to her position so there's another two swimmers nearby. Fingers crossed for her - that's the place Carmen, John and Helen had to abandon their relay attempt a year ago.

02/08/2013 at 19:54

Is this the same Carmen who swam with John?

02/08/2013 at 20:00

Yes it is - she finished about 15 mins ago!

02/08/2013 at 20:25

BI -That is an amazing feat. I cannot imagine the strength and resolve involved.  Especially as I half drown crossing the swimming pool. Congratulations to that lady.

JJ - So funny about the slow worm. Our living space here is on the second floor and last summer when we were here I opened the safety gate at the top of the stairs on to the terrace and narrowly missed stepping on a snake which was basking in the sun. I have never seen everyone move so fast and that includes the snake which slithered down the steps at breakneck speed.  Poor thing must have been terrified.

Columba - I did exactly that, and yes there are loads of examples on Youtube. But it's me that is stilted!  I find getting into the different positions quite challenging. And now I have discovered there is a salutation to the moon.  At this rate I shall be spending my days stiltingly saluting half the galaxy.

4 miles to the statue today. I actually was defeated by the mountain on the last climb up to the summit and had to walk for a while. It was so hot and there seemed to be no air. But I have taken the dog for walks today so in a  way I am doing the hill reps you asked about, TE !!

03/08/2013 at 07:41

Congratulations to Carmen for swimming the Channel, it must take so much courage, strength of mind and endurance.

Matsmum, well done, you are indeed doing hill reps, even though they are walking.

A nice bright morning and a bit cooler, so ideal conditions for the parkrun.

03/08/2013 at 09:48

Morning all,

Cooler here thank goodness but blowing a gale.  A steady 5.67 miles of undulating hills - how's that for a bit of pseudo-tautology

TE, enjoy your parkrun.  PB today?

Matsmum, that sounds like an awesome walk and the views must be fab

Have a lovely weekend everyone.

03/08/2013 at 12:43

JJ, pink delphinium sounds nice. I've been thrilled with the carnations I started off last year, which have bloomed and bloomed and have such a wonderful perfume. We have seen slow worms a couple of times at the allotment. Glad the cat didn't finish it off. I'm not a great fan of cats, I must say.

TE, well done on your tough hills, and good to see you at parkrun again today. I ranm it, but was a bit late starting, due to being RD and setting everyone off, plus a hilly 6.5 mile run in the forest yesterday evening. I could be approaching a PW, but it adds to my score for earning that 50 parkrun t-shirt.

IW - best of luck with the traithlon, and great achievement by Carmen.

Tempted to try kettlebells, as I spotted a class in our local community centre.

03/08/2013 at 15:53

Red, thanks and yes, a parkrun PB. I ran 22.30, a PB by 10 seconds. I came 16th but am awaiting the e mail with full details. I'm amazed to have run so fast, after being nearly wiped out by Thursdays "Boot Camp Session."

Diana, good to see you again this morning, and well done for managing to race as well as doing your RD duties. It was a good turn out again. It seems our running clubs are obsessed with hills, but they do produce results. Are you doing Wednesdays RR10?

Tomorrow is a forest run with club mates. I don/t know how far they intend running, but  I must start upping my mileage in preparation for Decembers Pompey Coastal Marathon.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.