'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

164,261 to 164,280 of 165,824 messages
29/09/2013 at 17:34

Running along today thinking what a terrible thing age is. What actually happens? Did 20 miles. Only a couple of years ago I could easily run 20 miles, now I wheeze and grunt up every hill, knees hurt, gluteus maximus muscles hurt, head swims, have to walk with only a couple of miles to go, when once I would have sprinted it just to get it over and done with. Try to distract myself with music, scenery, the sea, birds etc. Nothing works. Not even hurt pride! How do I get back the umph?

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
29/09/2013 at 18:21

Why does it have to be 20 miles? Are you doing marathon training? If so, it may be time you switched to half-marathon instead. Cut your distance down. You are trying to run as you used to and as you get older you are generally not able to do what you once did easily, unpalatable as that may be. It's just a fact of life. I was always primarily a distance runner but since a hip replacement op last year I've had to accept that my marathon/ultra/Ironman triathlon days are well and truly over. Doesn't mean the end - I've switched this year to the Olympic distance triathlon instead.

Edited: 29/09/2013 at 18:23
29/09/2013 at 19:13

Evening all,

Lovely day here.  Did 9 miles early on then spent the rest of the day in the garden.  So much to do!

Columba, I've done London 4 times knitting and once crocheting 

TE, well doen on another pb.

Hi Exhausted and welcome to the thread - sounds as if you're living up to you name!

29/09/2013 at 19:23

Welcome to the thread exhausted. You don't state your age, but your performance shouldn't decline so dramatically in just 2 years. If I were you, I'd book an appointment with your Dr. for a thorough check up.

Red, hope you enjoyed your run this morning. It was raining here this morning when Helen and I set off, but it soon stopped and the sun came out. The conditions were perfect.

29/09/2013 at 20:54

No running today but did loads of gardening and two doodle walks.

Exhausted
Let's have your age and the sort of training you do in a typical week and we might be able to be a bit helpful. My first reaction is that if you aren't training for a marathon why run 20 miles anyway.

TE
A bigger PB than you thought. Very well done.
I agree with you about the men's road race. It came alive only in the last 20 minutes or so. As for the British team, I'm appalled at the total withdrawal. If I had my way they wouldn't ride in a British team again. Sky has too much influence on these things.
JJ

29/09/2013 at 21:13

JJ thanks. I'm sure these short, sharp runs are contributing to my improvements in longer races.

I just can't believe that the rainy conditions made the total British Team pull out. What a load of wimps. It was the same for all the cyclists, so is there more to this than meets the eye?

29/09/2013 at 21:31

TE - well done, - what a fantastic WAVA!

Hello and welcome, Exhausted. Someone on here will certainly have some good advice for you, but it probably won't be me, - I'm more often looking for advice than offering it.

Red Four times? No, I certainly didn't know that. Now I'm even more impressed. 

It was a beautiful day here; didn't run, but climbed a mountain with a friend (Ysgirrid Fawr, the easternmost of the Black Mountains) - sun shining, clear sky, a very steep climb and then amazing views in all directions.

29/09/2013 at 22:22

Yes, I am "training" (ha ha) for a marathon. Booked it ages ago and have left long runs far too late and it's in two weeks time. I'm 59. Been running for many years, but only started running marathons about 10 years ago. Times variable. When I hurt now, it REALLY hurts, but I feel that alot of it is in the psych as much as the body, i.e. I now use age as an excuse. I just wanted to moan and lament, really. 

30/09/2013 at 07:38

Morning, everybody.

Wow, I have had a busy few days - and so have all of you by the sound of things. I have read through to try and catch up.

Red - I watched the clip.  You really are famous!  But they didn't quite give you the accolade you deserve, 5 times doing woolly things while running a marathon.

Columba - Glad your plumbing got sorted. My son the plumber is also a drummer! He plays in a Cuban band.  We are driving to Aberystwyth in our little orange van to revisit old haunts at half term.  I would be honoured to trot along the prom with you at some point!

JJ - I have managed to keep the training up to date. Every run seems to average out at 11 min miling, no matter what sort of run I am doing!  Was that what you intended? Pilates, yoga, kettles and dancing kept up too - so I put my inability to lose that half stone down to increased muscle!!!!!  8 miles done on Sunday.

Exhausted - Welcome. Is it 2 years since you trained for a marathon? I reckon your memories of 20 milers have dimmed in the mists of time. You are probably remembering the elation of completing them and not the effort.  (A bit like having a baby!) Doesn't everyone hurt after training runs? I thought it was par for the course. When is your marathon and where?

Red and JJ - I have read your gardening innuendos and I feel quite offended.

I now feel quite unable to ask your advice about my Titty Fruits.

BI - Beautiful Charly. You do well to take both dogs on a leash for walks. I only just manage Denzel, he is so strong.

30/09/2013 at 08:21

Morning all,

(sniggers at Matsmum's titty fruits)

No running today, just cross training, paperwork (boo!) and gardening.

Matsmum, you are doing well if you are maintaining 11 min miling on all your runs.  That's very consistent.  Thanks for your kind words but I don't deserve accolades;  I just want publicity for ARUK.

On that note, there are several people out there in the big wide world who've been threatening to smash my marathon knitting record. I am not remotely bothered by that, as it has only ever been a fun thing to attract attention to ARUK and it's about time I did something else anyway, but the one thing I've always said is that when someone does have a go then they should do it for a charity and not for their own glory.  

One of the wannabes has been lurking on my blog for the past 2 years and has finally revealed that he is going to do it at the Kansas marathon in October.  He's been doing all his training whilst knitting (????????).  The great thing is that he has stated that in honour of what I've done for ARUK he is going to raise money for the American Alzheimer's Society.  How wonderful is that?! 

Edited: 30/09/2013 at 08:40
30/09/2013 at 09:44

IW, Charly is very handsome! He reminds me a lot of the dog I had in my teens, who was a Norwegian Buhund, mainly because of the colouring.

Red, how fantastic to get a mention on QI! Great news that your potential record snatcher also plans to raise funds for Alzheimers.

TE, congratulations on the PB. I got one by just one second on my last parkrun outing too, and as JJ says, any PB is still a PB.

Welcome Exhausted. I would guess that a lot of the struggle you're having is down to leaving your training a bit late, and trying to squeeze in long runs without enough of a gradual build-up. If the marathon is in 2 weeks, for heaven's sake take it easy until then, and recover a bit!

Columba, glad you have a nice new loo. The mountain climb sounds challenging, but certainly worth it.

Matsmum, what fun if you can meet Columba and have a little run together! It is nice to meet people from the RW forums in person.

I volunteered at parkrun on Saturday, then felt decidedly off colour later in the day, and ended up not eating much. As a result, I didn't run at all over the week-end, but plan to do my long run shortly, as I have the luxury of being able to go out for a couple of hours on a weekday.

30/09/2013 at 14:53

Matsmum - I would definitely avoid asking JJ's advice on anything called Titty Fruits

I actually live 40 miles from Aberystwyth, and am there only for work, which on average is 1 day a week during the university term-times.  That being said, I should love to meet you if it proves possible.

Diana - hope you're feeling better now?

Yes, splendid new loo; and have now had new shower and shower-door delivered, so must get in touch with plumber again re fitting them. 

30/09/2013 at 16:30

Diana,thanks for the congrats. Hope you are ok now. Perhaps it was getting soaked by the rain at the parkrun that made you a bit off colour.

Exhausted, I agree with Diana that you need a gradual build up to the longer runs.

Ran a steady 5 miles this morning on roads.

30/09/2013 at 20:05

Howdie Doodie folks

MacMillan and MacWabbit join forces for London Marathon 2014!

(Sounds like a new rabbit burger from Ronald's empire!)

As a reject from the ballot, decided it was time to take the bull by the horns as it seems to be rather difficult to get entry into London these days so I shall be running for MacMillian which is great as this charity is dear to my heart sadly with experiences close to home!

I need to get some structure to my running and some goals to aim for as I am no good just running for the love of it as I soon get bored.  This way it seems like a humungus challenge having not run marathons for a few years now however something I shall look forward in achieving (I hope)! 

Hope you are all fine and dandy and running strong?  Is anyone else running London next year?

PS Redbonce, it's official you are a legend with all the charity work you have done and continue to do.  Still going strong too!

30/09/2013 at 20:33

Halllooooo the wabbit!  Excellent news.  Unsure about London next year as yet but will make a decision soon and let you know xxx

30/09/2013 at 21:29

Didn't run again today. Too busy.

Matsmum
I'm not concerned if it all averages about 11 minute miling so long as any fast bits are quicker than that. In any case, it's early days yet.

Are those fruits anything like a fine pear?

I'm better at double entendres but a quick innuendo doesn't go amiss. When I was younger I thought innuendo was an Italian suppository.

Rabbit
Hope the training goes well. You've plenty of marathon experience to fall back on.

Exhausted
A 20 miler two weeks before a marathon seems a bit OTT.
Age isn't an excuse it's a fact. In general you will be slower at 60 on the same training and recovery will be more difficult. If your earlier training was poor and you've improved the quality as you've got older you could be quicker but with an increased injury risk.
JJ

01/10/2013 at 06:08

Hallo Wabbit - good for you. As you haven't been on here for a long while you won't be aware that I can't run any more marathons due to a hip replacement op last year. Not really supposed to run more than 10-12km

Well, it's come to pass, the US Government is officially shut down. So that means to me that our team at work is down to the boss, my colleague Pia and myself, all our American colleagues will be sent back home when they report for work this morning. No work, no pay. All because of infighting between the Democrats and Republicans and opposition to Obama's health care plan. Why should they care, their pay is guaranteed anyway, unlike my poor colleagues.

Edited: 01/10/2013 at 06:11
01/10/2013 at 08:08

Oh how unfair IW 

01/10/2013 at 11:29

Yes isn't it? Roughly a total of 800,000 Government employees overall. Hope they can resolve this quickly,  there are some lower paid workers with families who may find it tough to pay the rent etc. if the shutdown goes on for long. 

01/10/2013 at 11:52

Bad news IW. Hope they can get it resolved soon, but the Republican group blocking the health bill seem pretty intransigent.

Thanks for well wishes TE. I felt much better yesterday, so set out for my long run mid-morning, leaving the freezer defrosting. I was pleased to manage 14 miles at an average 9:54 pace. I ran to Ashurst, then Ipley, then back across to Beaulieu Road. The last 4 miles or so were off road, as I cut across from the road towards Matley Wood. There's quite a long climb up through the wood, then several undulations and some sand between there and Lyndhurst, so I hope I partially replicated the tough last couple of miles you mentioned! It's hard to believe that I can lift the pace much on the day, but I have done a fair bit of speed work, as well as the long runs on the plan, so maybe it will all come together on the day.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.