'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

164,841 to 164,860 of 166,732 messages
05/12/2013 at 10:09

What's even more impressive, JJ, is that you still remember which bit your sock goes on!      I can't believe you all stand up to put socks on. I read somewhere that the highest percentage of accidents that occur in the home are caused by people overbalancing while trying to do just that.  I always sit down, although I suppose tights and leggings are more tricky.  

Thank you for the advice about H's achilles.  I have passed it on to her.

It's incredibly windy here with flood warnings along our coastline. Should be fun going for a run later after the children are home from school.

Hope you are feeling better, Skippy.  Perhaps you were already going down with something when you went for your flu jab.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
05/12/2013 at 11:19

Must admit, I do put socks on while standing up! But tights/leggings require a bit more stability so I put those on sitting down.

05/12/2013 at 12:24

Matsmum, I suffer with an achilles problem (more acute in one side than the other). As others have said, it is nearly always linked to muscular tightness or joint restriction or a muscular imbalance, often somewhere else in the body (typically foot / hamstring / glute / hip).

Sports massage can help, but best combined with a proper gait analysis to ascertain where the imbalance / tightness is coming from.  A good sports masseur/euse will also be expert in fitting orthotics, which may be required to aid the recovery-while-still-running process.

05/12/2013 at 13:19

Hello DO 262 - Thanks for your advice.  So what do you do to prevent recurrence with the achilles problem?   Did the orthotics do the trick?  My daughter H, when training for VLM 2009,  had a problem with her knee and had orthotics after gait analysis  But then she developed a hip problem and blamed the orthotics!  Since ditching them she has had no issues with hips or knees ....... although as you suggest it could be tightness in those areas that are causing the achilles thing. I have paid for her to have a sports massage as an extra prezzie, so maybe she should have it before Christmas.

TE - On the subject of the plank and how long we could hold it, H tells me that the record is 3hrs7mins15secs by an American man. The current woman record holder was 71 and held it for 2 secs short of 37mins. Apparently she nearly died in 2009 from kidney failure, but when she recovered she started to work out 6 days a week and lost 7st in weight. And obviously got very fit!

I wonder at which point they started wobbling.

05/12/2013 at 15:06

I'm wondering which bits matsmum is thinking about wobbling - beat you to it JJ

Take care out there as your neck of the woods is on major flood alert.

TE, I love my buff and wouldn't be without it. I'd much prefer too get one in my goody bag than those horrid technical tees covered in adverts!

Hello DO262, are you stopping or just passing through here? You'd be welcome to stay and chat

Today I was a happy runner, although I did look like a highwayman with my buff over my face.  I did 4.5 miles all across muddy fields and paid no attention to my speed which is just as well as for 1/2 of it I felt as if I wasn't moving forward as the wind was so strong!

Had a bit of a eureka moment regarding my 2014 challenge for ARUK whilst I was out running. Still got some more bits to add to make it a bit tougher though 

05/12/2013 at 16:27

We'll be in awe I'm sure Red! I'm planning a modest 60th birthday challenge myself, but it will seem quite easy to you after what you managed for your 56th!

We did a 4 mile time trail with the club last night. I think the consensus was that it was actually around 3.96 miles, so a fraction short (and I forgot to reset my garmin after the warm-up) but I was timed at 32:55 I think, so was surprised but pleased as it was dark and not flat. If I can manage that pace for my week-end 10k........... 8:45 pace would get me a significant PB.

I often do sit down to put on socks, but not always.

05/12/2013 at 17:22

Happy to stop and chat - just spotted Matsmum's achilles problem and wanted to lend the weight of my experience. Not sure if I qualify for the thread, certainly Mrs DO262 says I am very immature - although I do have a V in front of my running category.

My body, with all its many issues certainly qualifies for Veteran status...

05/12/2013 at 18:08

Hello DO262 - I think "mature" covers a very wide range. Me, I'm postmature.

Hope you're feeling better soon, Skippy (and thanks for the explanation of your name). I had no reaction at all to the flu jab, - apart from a slightly warm arm for a couple of hours.

Never mind socks, I stand on one leg while cleaning my teeth. Half a minute on one leg, half a minute on the other, repeat once. I've been doing that ever since I hurt my ankle two or three years ago and the physio I went to advised it. It helps that I use an electric toothbrush, - less wobbly than scrubbing away by hand. 

Went swimming this morning. Was very windy, but calmed down a little as the day went on. 

The website suddenly remembered it was supposed to be giving me email notifications, - I had about a dozen in my inbox!

05/12/2013 at 19:18

Today's comeback run was 3.5 miles, mostly off road. Very strong winds but it made it very easy in the following wind bits. I struggled on the last .75 mile steep uphill bit.

Redhead
I'm quite ashamed of myself for missing the opportunity to compete with you in the wobbling stakes.

Diana
I ran my first marathon to celebrate my 60th birthday.

Matsmum
I find it easy to remember where to put a sock. It's the second one  I have a problem with.

DO 10
(That's shorthand for 262)
Mature is whatever you want it to mean. I'm the oldest teenager in the business.

Columba
Can you clean your teeth and put a sock on the off floor leg at the same time? That would be excellent multi-tasking.
JJ

05/12/2013 at 21:25

JJ - You are a very funny man    !!!

I am now off to bed still laughing.

Night all !

06/12/2013 at 07:10

Many Happy Returns TE - May your year be full of pbs!  Enjoy your day.

Devastation here - the high school half a mile down the road is being used as an evacuation centre for the unfortunate people sheltering from the sea surges.  We have yet to hear about the full extent of the damage because more flooding is expected as the tide comes in again in full force. Thousands of people have been told to move from their homes. Somebody on facebook has reported that Cromer promenade is virtually destroyed. The cliffs have fallen in various places along the coast. Our house is 4 miles inland and though we have some damage from the gales we are not threatened by the water. Poor poor people.

I didn't run last night. Everyone was told to stay indoors.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
06/12/2013 at 12:15

Very sensible Matsmum, stay safe please. Northern Germany has taken a battering too, so far here in the south we've escaped lightly, although the forecast hail and snow did show up this morning as I was driving to work. All gone now though and the sun is shining. Pretty windy outside still.

06/12/2013 at 14:20

Welcome DO262.

Columba, I tried the standing on one leg cleaning my teeth business this morning, and apart from putting the other hand on the sink for balance occasionally, didn't find it too bad. I've also got an electric toothbrush, but don't think I cleaned my teeth quite as well as usual.

Matsmum, thanks. I will certainly a get a 68 year old pb tomorrow, as it will be my first parkrun at that age. Take care in those dangerous conditions, and don't go running unless you are sure it is absolutely safe to do so.

BIW, hope conditions don't deteriorate in the south.

A good session last night with the club. About an hour before meet up, the heavens opened and it belted down with rain. Luckily, it didn't last long, but it left the roads very wet. We did hilly circuits comprising 4 x 0.71 mile, with 2 minutes recoveries between circuits. Total mileage, 7.52. 

06/12/2013 at 16:24

Afternoon all,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TE, hope you're having a lovely day. Sorry for being late to the party but I've been out since the crack of dawn xxx

Btw, I can't see the champers and cake. Have those other greedy blighters polished it all off without me?

TE, we had that rain too. Very heavy for just a short time. Good luck with your park run tomorrow. Tie to establish a new age category pb.

Diana, that was speedy! What's your 60 challenge then?  You know I love a good challenge and have already started thinking of my 60th which is in 3.5 years time (OMG, that's not long off is it!). My 57th next year will be a lead in to my 60th and that's all I have to say on the matter right now - anyone know the film from whence those words came? I'll give you a clue, he didn't live in a  forest and he wasn't grumpy.

DO262 (what's the 262 then?), I shall never be mature as I don't want too smell like an old cheese

On the subject of wobbling, I still use my wobble board which I bought a few years ago following the man-in-white-van-on-his-phone-leading-to-my-sprained-ankle incident. It's my equivalent of Columba standing on alternate legs whilst brushing her teeth.

06/12/2013 at 17:01

A birthday!
Many happies TE.

Ran this morning in a test of training on consecutive days. Gave up after 2.75 miles due to stiff legs that were getting slower and slower. This is the second time I've tried the experiment and both attempts have been the same. Looks like training on alternate days will be the maximum I can attempt. The next test is to find out the maximum I can cope with on an alternate days schedule. 

Matsmum
You clearly chose the house wisely.

Redhead
Could it be something to do with 26.2 miles?
JJ

06/12/2013 at 20:38

JJ - at the very least I would need a third hand to put on a sock while simultaneously cleaning my teeth.

Happy birthday TE!

Matsmum - sounds as though the people near the coast have had it really bad. It was indeed forecast for East Anglia.

Another hill rep session this afternoon. It isn't feeling any easier, nor am I getting any faster.

06/12/2013 at 21:14

Red, JJ and Columba, thanks for your birthday wishes. I had a fairly quiet day, but enjoyed a very nice pub lunch. I had ham, ducks egg, chips and salad, washed down with an excellent pint of bitter. This evening, I had a long telephone conversation with my daughter which finished the evening off nicely. The champers and cake will be despatched tomorrow after I have, hopefully, set a new WAVA.

Whilst cleaning my  teeth this morning, standing on one leg, I thought of Roy Wood of Wizard, who played the flute standing on one leg. How he could balance and play the flute at the same time is truly amazing.

07/12/2013 at 09:33

Morning all,

I'm waiting to hear about TE's speediness

Today I am mostly coughing. An irritating hacking cough brought on by asthma apparently (or so the nurse told me last time I mentioned it at my asthma review). I'm off out for a 4.5 mile plod, mostly uphill, but I shall walk if my breathing is too laboured.

Columba, speed is definitely hard to come by but you're doing all the right things to gain some. Don't give up as you're doing really well xxx

JJ, glad to hear you're working out how to find the right way to train now.

Have a lovely weekend everyone 

07/12/2013 at 11:09

Is that cough keeping you awake at night, Red?  That is so wearying. Take care of yourself.

Columba, don't be discouraged.  It's a bit like losing weight ( so they tell me!) when you get to that annoying plateau for ages before making a bit more progress. I am slow and will never be speedy but, you know, we are doing it, aren't we. That counts for a lot.

JJ - In answer to your question the sports nutrition provided are High5 energy gels  ......so I have sent for some off the internet to practise with.

5 miles (54:32) and a dance class yesterday.  2 hour LSR this morning (10.21miles) .  Today I felt really strong.  I usually get home thankful that I have finished,  but today I was sorry that it had come to an end.  Really happy  

07/12/2013 at 14:18

Matsmum, oh yes it does keep me awake and it wakes Mike up too. However, today was my best run since the Brighton 10k and I had no breathing probs at all - go figure, as they would say across the pond! Glad you had such a good run too

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.