MDS fatality

14 messages
04/04/2007 at 15:33
http://www.darbaroud.com/uk/html/mds/22mds/cp/uk_22mds_cp_6.php

its actually only the second death in the events 22 runnings. Not that 2 deaths in 22 years is high for a sporting event in fact its pretty low relative to more risky sporting events.

What seems odd is why his ECG didnt highlight any potential heart problems (ECG's where introduced afer the events first fatality were the competitor had a heart anomaly they weren't aware of)
04/04/2007 at 15:42
Thats very sad.

Thoughts with all his family, team mates and those who knew him.

04/04/2007 at 15:50
Very sad news. It seems strange that he was going very well, had no problems and yet he died in his sleep.
04/04/2007 at 16:00
ECGs arent a good screening test for heart problems

I suppose at least he died doing something he loved
04/04/2007 at 16:03
Very sad, but like Hippo says 'he was doing something he loved'.
04/04/2007 at 16:34
PH I though that was the purpose of an ECG to highlight heart probs?
04/04/2007 at 16:36
its a pretty crude test jason
it might pick up some probs if abnormal-but a normal ECG doesnt rule out an intermittent heart ryhthym problem, for example
04/04/2007 at 16:42
Really very sad.
04/04/2007 at 17:14
You need a bit more than a 10 second view to get a full picture Jason. That's why you hear (well I do) of 24hr ECGs. Standard ECGs are fine for identifying the most severe of problems (MI, Angina etc) whilst they are happening but they can't tell what has happened ages ago (in most cases) or what is likely to happen in the future.

That said, feel sorry for the bloke and his family
04/04/2007 at 17:58
bottom line is-there is no screening test which gives you 100% clearance
04/04/2007 at 18:09
Sad for the family and sad for the event.

At least in peace in the tent not miles off route, lost.
04/04/2007 at 18:18
Good point taff

indeed!
Moe
04/04/2007 at 20:35
I suppose it could happen to anyone, anytime but I don't think I will stop running because of a remote possibility and I guess he wouldn't have done either. I mean you could wrap yourself in cotton wool, even if you did though, you still could die. Far better way to go than being hit by a car or some other tragic accident caused by a third party or even yourself.

My Grandfather (over 70 at the time) went to visit his family in Eire and near the end of his visit they threw a party, he was on the dancefloor with his great, great niece, the dance finished and he walked off the floor smiling, approached my father and collapsed. they said after that he was probably dead as he fell into my fathers arms. Now he was old but young at heart, as most of us are and hope to stay for as long as possible. The Irish have a wonderful way when it comes to death and that is to celebrate the deceased's life. I hope that when I go (far in the future I hope) that my family and friends can do the same for me. Everyone needs to deal with it in their own way and I hope there can be some joy in his family's sadness in the fact he was doing something he loved and that he did pass peacefully.

Love life & LIVE it.
04/04/2007 at 21:01
yes moe
well said

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
14 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.