Mid-striking

Have i transistioned

1 message
26/09/2012 at 14:36

Hi Guys

I know the answer will literally be 'get your gait checked' but i was wandering if this is actually possible.

I've been running seriously (well my seriously anyway) for a year now when i started marathon training last year. All has gone reasonably well until April this year when i got a groin strain and a mis-aligned pelvis. Physio sorted me out but i had done a bit of researching as well ie improving your cadence for less injuries.

I did improve my cadence upto 180 and it made the world of difference, i normally get no issues now. Except for about 4 weeks ago.. i had a slightly tight hamstring but went for a run anyway and i must've unconsciously altered my running style as the next couple of days my calves were killing me! But i had an amazing run. Since then i have noticed that my cadence has gone up even more (calfs still hurt) but my running has improved a lot. My lsr's have all been at about 10 m/m up til nowish but last sunday i averaged 9'15 and my splits were very precise (possibly a freak phenomen) I had done 8.5 miles but if i hadn't done my last mile sprint finish i really felt i could've gone on.

So my question is...could i have moved over to mid-strike that easily and quickly, it seems very doubtful to me but something has happened??  My foot does feel flatter when i hit the ground (i think) and my calfs although don't ache anymore after the run for the first couple of miles they do protest a little.

Any theories?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1 message
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.