Mile Races

Mile Races

12 messages
23/09/2003 at 17:24
Does anyone know of any mile races taking place anywhere in the UK between mid-Sept 2003 & March 2004? Must be mile rather than 1500m. Thanks.
23/09/2003 at 17:34
Most mile races would be fun runs, I imagine. Which doesn't make them any less valid as races, but you might get stuck behind a buggy or two, so if you were trying to time yourself and get an accurate 1 mile time...

There's a 1 mile fun run race in Dulwich Park on 12 October, organised by Dulwich Runners. It's listed on the events finder, though I think under the main race, the 10k.

I think the website is www.dulwichrunners.org.uk

23/09/2003 at 17:37
Yay Dulwich! Rah rah!

Yes, we have a mile race. It is fine to do if you don't want a "fun" run, though...just start near the front, you'll get a good run. Plenty of speedsters do it as well as slower people (and kids!)
23/09/2003 at 17:40
Thanks for the info re. Dulwich mile race. How many people run it, roughly?
06/04/2014 at 15:36

In this important anniversary mile year - thought might be good to update this thread with any mile races that people know of please?  There's obviously the Westminster, and the City of London miles, and there is an Iffley mile.  Any other track ones?  Or road?  It's surprisingly hard to find anything on google!

06/04/2014 at 18:06

Perhaps not surprisingly there are a few listed amongst the British Milers' Club open meetings throughout the summer.  I might have to have a go myself since it's not a track distance I've attempted before.

There's also the 3 x 1M relay Self-Transcendence races in Battersea Park which are good fun, although don't count for an official measured mile time for Po10 (if that sort of thing bothers you.)

06/04/2014 at 19:01

Never run it, but one every month in Ealing...

http://www.ealingmile.com/

06/04/2014 at 21:59

This one in Gloucestershire

06/04/2014 at 22:39
Marathon Talk usually do a "magic mile" feature during the summer and many listeners / clubs set up events during this time. May be worth tuning in nearer the time for more info.
07/04/2014 at 00:22

http://www.runbritain.com/races?&distance=-5k

07/04/2014 at 22:26

Thanks all - tried runbritain, and did find the ealing mile, but not easy to get to on a fri afternoon if you're not in London.

I did look at the BMC - there is one near me in May that has a vets category - does anyone know how it would be for someone of about 6 min mile standard? - I don't want to be laughed out of there.  

I will also try the BMAF/SWVAC.  I am running in the Avon League later this summer, but only 1500, no mile, and I really wanted the proper mile this year, ideally with some feel of commemoration of the Bannister mile.

07/04/2014 at 22:29

The forest one looks lovely Rob, but probably unwise the day after my Boston M, even if I could get back.   I wonder if they'll do another later in the season?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
12 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.