mileage

21 to 33 of 33 messages
14/10/2009 at 14:30
Ran a marathon last month on one 17 mile long run, and a handful of 13 milers.  I have a highish weekly mileage (40-50 miles).  Ran the whole way, did not hit the wall and only slowed slightly in the last 2 miles.  From my own experience it is the cumulative effect of the whole training plan rather than individual sessions, and as Squal says, time on your feet rather than distance, especially as you are running the LSR slower than race pace.
05/01/2011 at 12:40
05/01/2011 at 16:39
OP: why not run up to 23 miles max instead of 20?

training plans are there for guidance only IMO
Edited: 05/01/2011 at 16:39
05/01/2011 at 17:09

@theBorne you do know the ops thread is 4 years old?

@TT9 what is that link, seems to be some sort or java script or something, not advisable to click it.

05/01/2011 at 17:18
paulj48 wrote (see)

@theBorne you do know the ops thread is 4 years old?

Yes, and it wasn't written by me!

It was the account, in a previous life...

06/01/2011 at 10:04
@paulj48 thanks so, so much for pointing this out - you're a real hero, aren't you?
06/01/2011 at 13:49

i know this thread is old...but the below quote is misleading. Only a get you round schedule would say do only 10miles for a half marathon,  a long run of 15-16miles is pretty advisable.

For a marathon, over distance is never advisable unless you're some kind of invincible super hero runner

Siance wrote (see)
Don't worry! Similar training principles are used for half marathons too - advice is to train to 10 miles, so you'll be able to manage the extra 3. That's just doubled for a marathon.

08/01/2012 at 22:41
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <o:OfficeDocumentSettings> <o:AllowPNG/> </o:OfficeDocumentSettings> </xml><!--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <woNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-GB</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:EnableOpenTypeKerning/> <wontFlipMirrorIndents/> <w:OverrideTableStyleHps/> </w:Compatibility> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val="Cambria Math"/> <m:brkBin m:val="before"/> <m:brkBinSub m:val="--"/> <mmallFrac m:val="off"/> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val="0"/> <m:rMargin m:val="0"/> <m:defJc m:val="centerGroup"/> <m:wrapIndent m:val="1440"/> <m:intLim m:val="subSup"/> <m:naryLim m:val="undOvr"/> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><!--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:L
08/01/2012 at 22:46
I also decided to ignore the maximum of 20 as I had to know I could cover the distance without worrying about the wall that is always mentioned. I did 25 miles three weeks before my first marathon. I worked for me as ran my first ever marathon (Liverpool 2011) in 3:33 and I'm 48.

I must add that this was against the advice from my running club but I know others who've used similar techniques.

I use a similar tactic of 17 mile long runs within a couple of weeks of half marathons.

21/12/2012 at 19:15

I've just downloaded the "free" sub 3.30 training programme and the one for subscribers and notice that the subscribers prog has very little hills runs in it, whereas the other one, which I followed earlier in the year, has lots of hill training.  Has anyone tried both training programmes ?  (I did 3.39 at Halstead and I'm 57 so the hills and intervals worked!)

22/12/2012 at 17:08

Having come unstuck in my last marathon at about 21 miles, I'm going to make sure I go over that in training in future. I wprobably won't run over distance, but will look to get at least 5 or 6 of 20 or more, going up to 23 or 24.

25/12/2012 at 00:51

I remember years ago when the marathon boom was on, the top runners would have a long run of 23 miles. This was on the grounds that if you can do 23 without blowing up then you could do 26. If you enter a race with a longest run of 20 miles then there is a question mark on whether you could find another 6 miles and, if you were to try and do it any faster than your training run, the question mark would be an even bigger one.

I think the 20 miles is one for a runner who has maybe already done a few marathons and knows that they can do the distance and that 20 miles is not going to take so much out that it will interfere with their training. I used to reckon that 24 miles was best if you had the recovery rate.

29/04/2013 at 13:23

I am a marathon runner and have done 3 full and 1 half. I need to improve my timing as all I have finished in 6+ hours, though my aim is 5.30 hours. I train hard and my next marathon is Paris Mararhon in 2014.

Any tips and means to improve my timing. Please let me know.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 33 of 33 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.