Mixed running style

1 message
25/10/2012 at 10:02

This feels like an odd question. I suspect the answer is "it doesn't matter" but I just wanted to bounce the question off folk that have a clue rather than guessing for myself.

I've noticed over my last few runs that I have two distinctly different "styles" of running. When I get to a hill I lean forward and run more on my toes with shorter strides. When I get to a flatter bit or downhill I tend to run with the ball of my foot more than my toes and I run with a longer stride.

So far so good. I reckon that's probably normal. But when I am tired I seem to be less able to switch back to the more lolloping gait and end up running on the flat or downhill somewhat on my toes with short strides.

I know that I am faster with the lolloping style than with the on-my-toes style - if nothing else it simply covers more ground per stride - but I find it hard to switch back if I am fatigued (even though it is more comfortable!).

I suspect this is "normal" but you know how it is when you are running and your brain just goes off on a train of thought on its own. I hadn't ever considered it before.

Do any of you have mixed styles of running and find it hard to switch between them? Does it matter or would I be worth making a bigger effort to switch to my lollop when I get to the top of a hill?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1 message
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.