Monday night rant

Drivers

1 to 20 of 23 messages
21/08/2007 at 16:29

why oh why do drivers insist on using the middle lane of a motorway when the inside(lane 1) is empty....

Do I

on approaching this driver when im in lane one change lanes to lane 3 and back again

or

undertake them and break the law...

or

give them the stare as i pass on any side..

what else hacks people off on the motorway

cougie    pirate
21/08/2007 at 16:31

Lazy drivers. 

I always go round them the proper way.  Until I get my rocket launchers fitted anyway.

cougie    pirate
21/08/2007 at 16:32
<taps on watch>
21/08/2007 at 16:34

Today

on way home some idiot in a Jeep sat inlane 3 for 2 mile with lots of cars sitting behind them...please note i am not saying what sex the driver was

21/08/2007 at 16:37

If they're doing 70 in the middle lane, you shouldn't be going any faster than that, so there's no need to overtake them  

If, however, you wish to break the law by going faster than that, then you might as well do it in the slow lane.

My biggest bugbear is drivers who moan about speed cameras.

You don't have a god-given right to drive as fast as you like - obey the speed limit, and you won't get any fines or points on your licence.

Yours faithfully,

Wilkie (three points)

21/08/2007 at 16:40

Hi Wilkie

as i live in Glasgow the chance of going at great speeds is very limited--but not unheard off,i always though we had 2 overtaking lanes(lane 2,3)

21/08/2007 at 16:40

Hi Wilkie

as i live in Glasgow the chance of going at great speeds is very limited--but not unheard off,i always though we had 2 overtaking lanes(lane 2,3)

21/08/2007 at 16:46
As I remember it from back in the mists of time when I learned to drive, there is a slow lane, a fast lane, and an overtaking lane.

It may be that the Highway Code has been updated since then, though.

If the nearside lane is empty I would use it rather than the middle lane - but that never happens on the M25!

What I don't want to do is keep changing lanes - surely the most likey time for an accident to happen - so if there are spaced cars in the slow lane, I don't keep maving back and forth overtaking them.

If I'm in the middle lane, I'm doing 70 (at least), and if someone wants to go past me they can use the overtaking lane.

21/08/2007 at 16:49

i get annoyed with those big signs that o over the road giving information, the whole motorway slows to rad them and they say,

'take a break when tired'.....

they should say

'reading these signs causes accidents'

21/08/2007 at 16:50

Ok....

who hogs the middle lane more

men or women or does it depend on the car they drive

21/08/2007 at 16:52

what about the sign

"check you fuel "

"wear a seatbelt"

or the worse when its slow

"traffic slow for 6 mile" (this one i saw this morning)

cougie    pirate
21/08/2007 at 16:59

OOoh Wilkie - its not fast middle and slow ! Its just inner middle and outer or something..

Gotta be safer to go round them the right way than undertake.  If they're hogging the middle lane then they're a crap driver and I wouldnt put it past them to pull in without looking.

21/08/2007 at 17:26
the flashing signs that say '40' when you are crawling along, stop, start thinking, '...40, i should be so lucky'
21/08/2007 at 17:32
when i  see that i just think " i remember when i was that age"
Garr    pirate
21/08/2007 at 17:33
Jamie, I think the best option is to undertake them, move to the third lane, then slow down till they pass you, just to make the point that they're being a pr@t.
21/08/2007 at 18:24
what do i point
21/08/2007 at 18:36

It may be that the Highway Code has been updated since then, though.

You mean you don't get updated copies and read them? Tut, tut. You should.

One of my pet peeves (I have many, being a grumpy old man)  is drivers who crawl away from traffic lights. I don't expect rubber burning, screeching starts, but brisk progress would be a vast improvement and give a few other cars a chance to get through the lights too. 

21/08/2007 at 18:41

what about people sitting at lights totally oblivious that they have changed

21/08/2007 at 18:44

They're country folk, Jamie. They've probably not seen traffic lights before so they sit and watch the whole cycle.

21/08/2007 at 18:48

i thought the "farmers weekly" would have an article of what the shiney lights mean

1 to 20 of 23 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.