Morning or evening

21 to 33 of 33 messages
05/10/2002 at 12:13
I love early morning runs, any later and I find too many excuses!! Feels safer somehow, even off road when it's lighter.
05/10/2002 at 16:18
I'm out the door and running by 06:15 on 3 mornings a week, I find I get a lot more work done on run days and am able to think a lot clearer.

Dodging the dog poos during the dark winter mornings can be a bit troublsome but the peace and quietness, lack of abusive kids and light trafic make up for that.
05/10/2002 at 17:03
I work part-time, so I go out for my runs between 9 and 10 am. This is a nice time to run as I can eat some cereal first thing in the morning (6:30 or 7am) and have enough time to "wake up" before going out. When I worked full time I ran right after work and I found that to be difficult, because I was tired from work and demotivated. Have done a few "wake up and go out 15 minutes later" runs. Did this when on vacation in Italy and it was a little tough on the legs, but beautiful to watch the sunrise over Lake Como. Not to mention the gorgeous Italian cyclist who shouted at me from across the road. Made it all worth while really.
Ax
06/10/2002 at 21:49
When I first started running I'd run mornings before uni - course I was getting up at 5am in order to get an hour's running in followed by shower, breakfast, etc prior to an 8am class.

No, I don't know why I did it either.

Now I prefer evenings; it was nice to run in sunshine at 9pm during summer, and now autumn's in full swing it's ever-so-slightly warmer in the evening. It's also because I've heard the same advice as others above regarding evening rather than morning being a better time to run.
06/10/2002 at 21:59
I struggle to get myself going for a 10 oclock race start so any earlier is a definite no no. It takes my body about 3 hours to wake up properly. Despite the warnings about spoiling sleep I can run at 10 oclock at night and still get a good nights sleep.
Ax
06/10/2002 at 22:06
I find I feel better, and sleep easier, following an evening run. Even after a day when I feel completely run down, I know that if I go for a run or a bike ride I'll come back feeling a lot better than when I left.

Anyone else have any comments about how they feel after running at a particular time of day, or what time of day is your favorite to run at (rather than what time is most convenient)?
06/10/2002 at 22:12
Early mornings are great, not many cars, no kids, just you the birds and animals, just the way I like it.
Only thing is when it gets to late afternoon/evening you dont feel as though you have run as it was so long ago and get the urge to run again.......

06/10/2002 at 22:13
Ax, my favourite time on a non work day is starting about 3pm especially if doing a 2 hour long run through the fields and alongside the rivers and canals. the sun has passed its hottest time and it's a great feeling to run in the dappled shade of the trees. So not only do I get a great feeling from running but also from the surroundings.
06/10/2002 at 22:23
I was out running at 8.00 am this morning and you would be supprised at the number of runners out at that time, it been a sunday as well.........
06/10/2002 at 23:10
Not in Wales they dont
Its dead before 10am
Must be all the partying we do
06/10/2002 at 23:14
It's dead after 10am.
06/10/2002 at 23:27
Mornings for me, I find I perform better then, at least for my longer runs.
For the shorter ones, up to 7 or 8 miles then the afternoon is ok but I find if I go out in the morning it clears my head and I feel more energetic through the day. I am also not worrying about eating/drinking before my run if I leave it till later in the day.
07/10/2002 at 08:55
I was out yesterday at 7.30, didn't see any other runners but did see the sunrise! I had a brilliant time but disturbed the fishermen(are they there all night?) and upset two birdwatchers, they seemed to think I frightened the birds!!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 33 of 33 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.