Morton's Toe

?????

13 messages
12/09/2002 at 16:32
I was always told that was a sign of good feet (yes my second toes are longer than my big toes)
12/09/2002 at 16:34
An ex-colleague of mine had very long toes, with her second ones being much longer than her big toes. Several times she broke her second and third toes simply buy lifting heavy boxes, apparently because the big toe is the strongest and normally takes most of the weight/pressure, but if the secong one is longer it gets a disproportionate amount of pressure. Probably the same would apply to running, although hopefully not to the point of breaking!
12/09/2002 at 16:43
I have a big second toe on my left foot - generally its ok but during races it tends to get bruised and has been toe-nail-less for about six months.
12/09/2002 at 19:01
I've got wierd feet, including huge secon toes and webbed bits too.
My toes are the least of my problems!!!!
12/09/2002 at 19:21
Hi Tim,

George Sheehan devotes a fair portion of one chapter in 'Running and Being' to Morton's foot. He may be right; I've got that kind of foot, and my left foot has been so swollen for the last week that I can't run. Blast!

DC
12/09/2002 at 19:25
Having a longer second toe is perfectly normal, in fact it is more common than the big toe being longest! Unless it is a great deal longer than the first, the only likely problem is bruised toenails (as MartinH knows!)

12/09/2002 at 19:53
The condition is very common, and is known as Mortons Foot. I read this in a running book some years ago, and each time I referred to it I was given very disbelieving looks.....so at last, someone else knows the true definition of this anomoly.
12/09/2002 at 20:35
I have the first toe on each foot now developed as "hammer-toes". I was not born like this...they just "appeared" to develop over the course of three years or so, but they give me no pain, and are only evident when I am breaking in a new pair of running shoes, when sometimes I lose a little skin from the top of the toes.
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
12/09/2002 at 20:48
Hi Tim - I have to disagree with Fatgirlslim that it isn't a great problem! I have Morton's on both feet, both cause me trouble on long runs, but the right is far worse. This condition can cause an erratic running action, because instead of rolling off the big toe, you are landing on the 2nd one and that can lead to over-pronation and hammer toes. In my case, because I've been an active runner all my life, my gait has altered so much that I roll off the joint of my 2nd toe instead of the ball, this can cause excruciating pain but I've solved it by taping a cotton wool ball under the troublesome joint whenever I run a half-marathon or longer. Used to wear orthotics too but they didn't help the pain. I also had to give up wearing high heels shoes at work all day because I still was standing and walking on that toe joint. Over the years my longer 2nd toes have actually scrunched up a little.
16/09/2002 at 01:41
My second toes are much longer than than my big toes. This is not a problem as long as you size your shoes accordingly,that is ,the half inch gap should be between the end of the shoe and your LONGEST toe not your big toe. As far as webbing is concerned, well, you're on your own with THAT one Barkles. Inbreeding? Do you play the Banjo...
16/09/2002 at 09:26
Hi number 4, :-))) I really would question the half ingh gap between the longest toe and the front of the shoe...where did you find this recommendation??? I would think this would put you in danger of a really sore toe, what with the foot sliding back & forth in the shoe. In fact a condition called "Black Toe" is attributed to this very cause. This usually relates to the big toe-nail going black, having been repeatedly "hit" against the front of the toe-box of the shoe.
16/09/2002 at 20:54
Hi William Buttery(Correct term of address? I'm new to this computer stuff)I've always understood the "Half inch gap thing" to be pretty standard advice, It's usually given as the gap between the tip of ones big toe and the end of the shoe. I'm sure i've heard this from various sources including Runners world, Am I the only one who's heard this..? Gulp,sudden crisis of confidence..certainly it's always worked well for me, I've never even had a blister. Anyone else out there heard of this "Rule of thumb" or did I hallucinate it?
17/09/2002 at 13:08
My feet swell up quite a bit on a long run, so my half inch gap is absolutely necessary. I've only ever had one black toenail, when I forgot to cut my toenails before a steep downhill run.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
13 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.