MP3 players in races

21 to 40 of 83 messages
03/01/2013 at 19:10

I wear mine when running, I will have them on me in races for those times I need to dig deep. I am conscious of how annoying some people can be so always try to run on one side, keep volume down / use one ear and never ever move out  / to the side unless I checked first, But like all these things, they do make me zone out but no more then if I was runningand I had the hump . .  So like all things, if people are considerate, mp3 is fine . .but its those people with little 'awareness' of the mp3 issues that are the pains in the necks and give us mp3 lovers a bad name.

03/01/2013 at 19:16
And of course Envious against the rules in lots of races
03/01/2013 at 19:47

Personally I've never liked the feeling of having music directly into my ears and rarely worn headphones, even on a treadmill. Although I have thought about using music recently as my runs start getting past the 2 hour mark.

My husband wears one earphone, which seems to allow him to hear what is around him as well as the music.

Do what you want, as long as you are safe and considerate, and respect organisers' rules seems to be the way forwards.

What has annoyed me more in recent races is people not using headphones, and subjecting runners around them to their choice of music blasting directly out of a phone. Very annoying when that person is running at about the same pace as me, and I can't seem to shake them.

03/01/2013 at 20:07
Envious plodder wrote (see)

keep volume down / use one ear

from experience of many pairs of headfones screwing up mid run, isn't one ear or low volume just more annoying then running without anything?

Can you even make it out over the sounds of loads of grunting oafs and general out door noise?

03/01/2013 at 20:17
I only use my iPod on the treadmill and then only on recovery runs. They fall out at speeds in excess of 8.5mph.
03/01/2013 at 20:43

Take the irresponsible ones to the Tower of London and give them the Sir William Wallace treatment.Job done

03/01/2013 at 22:28

Is it not possible for people to use their own memory and just have the music going through their brain like a long earworm. If you listen to the same music often enough surely you can just remember the tune and be running at the correct pace. I can be thinking of a variety of songs whilst running at no cost whatsoever. After halfway point of a race or indeed any long training run, the earworn of "Homeward bound"  is cheesy but helps for a minute or so and lifts my confidence that I
can finish.
Needing to dig deep at points in a race will always happen, get over it and keep running, it is called character building.

03/01/2013 at 22:45

i tend not to use one for shorter races (marathon or lower) but I do pack one in my bag for ultras and long training runs, in case of emergencies. although not when banned of course.

04/01/2013 at 05:03

MP3 players in races are indeed very wrong, and runners doing so should be tarred and feathered for such shameful displays.

Obviously the only acceptable form of music to accompany you in a race is in the form of a large 80s style boom box over one shoulder, preferably with a looped copy of Rage Against the Machine's Killing In The Name playing nonstop.

04/01/2013 at 07:32

I'm intrigued as to what sort of "emergency" might require the use of an mp3 player.

A spce blanket, whistle, torch, first aid kit maybe, but an mp3 player?

I used to be in the camp of "don't use them in races when the organisers say not to" and that people who wanted to use them should look for races that allowed them.

Now I just think using them is unsociable and rude and so they should not be used.

The other thing that has been annoying me in some races recently are various alarms going off all the time. A quick beep to alert a km or mile passing is fine, but I ran a 10k the other month and several runners near me must have had some kind of alert on for either heart rate or pace zones which was really loud, and kept going off all the time.

04/01/2013 at 08:02

Thankfully I manage to run fast enough in races to escape the inattentions of Ipod warriors, Dj's, eaters and drinkers, HR broadcasters and those 'joined at the hips' types having a 'shared experience'.

04/01/2013 at 09:19
Running Manlet wrote (see)

Obviously the only acceptable form of music to accompany you in a race is in the form of a large 80s style boom box over one shoulder, preferably with a looped copy of Rage Against the Machine's Killing In The Name playing nonstop.

I bring my own string quartet along with me...

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQdx6_xEnaCMu0vojjxlnJpUJwkSbi7_Y2Avnl6TyecGqDrzq90vg

04/01/2013 at 10:03
exiled claret wrote (see)

I'm intrigued as to what sort of "emergency" might require the use of an mp3 player.

rannoch moor in the rain, haven't seen another soul for several hours, sort of emergency, i have the other items.

i realise you don't need it but then you aren't me so that's ok. i'm not as strong willed as you.

04/01/2013 at 10:19
RicF wrote (see)

Thankfully I manage to run fast enough in races to escape the inattentions of Ipod warriors, Dj's, eaters and drinkers, HR broadcasters and those 'joined at the hips' types having a 'shared experience'.

You sound like one of these really hospitable types.

People running with each other for a bit of company and support. How very dare they?

04/01/2013 at 10:24

so - that's the first ipods thread of 2013 done

where's the first dog one???

04/01/2013 at 10:25

i know i can't believe I posted a semi-serious reply too!

there goes my resolution

04/01/2013 at 10:32
fat buddha wrote (see)

I doubt it fb, we're only on page 2!  Intermanaut hasn't come along to pie Muttley in the face yet, and no one has even mentioned deaf runners.  This thread's got legs... Carry on everyone!

04/01/2013 at 11:09
PhilPub wrote (see)
fat buddha wrote (see)

I doubt it fb, we're only on page 2!  Intermanaut hasn't come along to pie Muttley in the face yet, and no one has even mentioned deaf runners.  This thread's got legs... Carry on everyone!

I lose interest after p2 usually as all the arguments get a bit circular and then the backbiting and drivel starts (carries on...)

talking of which - where's D2D when you need a bit of forum anger?? or anon - he was always good for an argument.

04/01/2013 at 11:38

I think it should be compulsory for everyone to have to wear an MP3 player, a cap on back to front, watches that signal every 50 yards have passed and take a dog on an extendable lead.......

04/01/2013 at 11:39

Damn. My comment has gone on to page 3 so fat buddha wont see it...

21 to 40 of 83 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.