MP3 players in races

1 to 20 of 84 messages
03/01/2013 at 16:43

Just seen a post on facebook from Milton Keynes Marathon about wearing MP3 palyers in races.  I had read in Runners World that this was a reason for disqualification in any UKA race, but this is NOT CORRECT.  I was worried (thanks RW!) but now am confused.  The decision is up to the race organisers but what if they don't publish their rules  not all do.  Anyone out there ever had any trouble in races when wearing an MP3 player - I do love my tunes!

03/01/2013 at 16:46

It should be a hanging offence !!!

Don't wear one, get used to the noises around you, and yes I have seen people thrown out for wearing them, as well as triping over someone last week who didn't hear me ask to get past.. but as I'm 6ft4 and 14 stone one elbow was enough to move her out of the way

03/01/2013 at 16:50

Took me about 7 seconds to find this on their FAQ section...

We do not recommend the use of personal MP3 players on the course as you need to be aware of other runners and to hear marshals instructions. If you do wear headphones then it’s at your own risk. There will be entertainment on the course to keep you motivated.

That seems pretty straightforward to me.  They don't seem to mind.  Not that this will prevent the 14-page episode of groundhog day that will inevitably follow here though.

Entertainment? It's a bloody race FFS!  HTFU!!

03/01/2013 at 16:52

Susie, welcome to the forum. You could have chosen a less controversial topic to start off with ... this one regularly generates loads of heat but not much light

Personally, I think mp3 wearers are anti-social and a menace. They should be lined up in front of the pack at the start of the race and shot pour encourager les autres.

And any that survive should be shot again. Male survivors should also be castrated.

I'm not a fan of mp3s in races - those that wear them claim to be able to hear what is going on, but they can't. They're a safety hazard to selves and everyone else and there is a reason why mp3 players are gradually being banned from races.

That's what I think. The iPod zombies can flame me as much as they want

03/01/2013 at 16:52

Brentwood Half marathon disqualifies people who wear them.

They put up plenty of info on their website, and signs up around the race HQ, yet people STILL turn out wearing them.  I think most races do publicise it if they are banning MP3s.  More and more are doing so.

That misinformation about all UKA races was not RW's fault, it was reported as being a fact by someone who you'd think would know.

However, if a race DOES choose to ban the use of MP3s, that's up to them and people should respect it.

Seriously, you can run without.  Thousands of people manage.

Edited: 03/01/2013 at 16:53
03/01/2013 at 17:04

The first MP3 thread of the New Year.  It's just like crocus spotting, only more contentious

03/01/2013 at 17:06
Muttley wrote (see)

Personally, I think mp3 wearers are anti-social and a menace. They should be lined up in front of the pack at the start of the race and shot pour encourager les autres.

And any that survive should be shot again. Male survivors should also be castrated.

Edited: 03/01/2013 at 17:08
03/01/2013 at 17:11

totally agree with you on that one!!

i laughed the other day when i saw one of those sorts, especially when they dropped something and didnt realise (hopefully it was something important)

they really are a menace in races and to be ohnest are missing so much! if you really need the music to "keep you going" your not training right and should try without.

just leave the techno at home (bar the gps ) and just run and have fun, trust me its so much more enjoyable 

03/01/2013 at 17:15

I think you should live and let live

03/01/2013 at 17:18
Muttley wrote (see)

I'm not a fan of mp3s in races - those that wear them claim to be able to hear what is going on, but they can't. They're a safety hazard to selves and everyone else and there is a reason why mp3 players are gradually being banned from races.

I think the ones who 'claim to be able to hear what is going on' probably can, because if they're making that claim at all it means they've thought about it and adjusted their volume accordingly or are taking care to be aware of what's around them. The real problem is more likely to be people who wear them unreflectively, and like to 'get lost' in their music, so aren't paying attention.
And actually, on the subject of people not paying attention, I think that is the actual issue -- plenty of people without headphones also zone out during a race and aren't aware of other runners. It's just more likely to happen to ipod wearers.
03/01/2013 at 17:19

oops, sorry about the dodgy fomatting there.

03/01/2013 at 17:22

I know a race organiser who told me that MP3 players are banned in their race due to insurance costs. Interesting to see quite vociferous opposition to them from some too. Personally I used one for a while after an 8 year layoff from running, it was good at first but now I can't wear it, I just prefer not to.

03/01/2013 at 17:23
Joolska wrote (see)

The first MP3 thread of the New Year.  It's just like crocus spotting, only more contentious

Just needs the first dogs thread now.

03/01/2013 at 17:25

Thank goodness some of these posters were not born years and years ago, before mp3 players or even cassette walkmans were invented (yes I am that old). They would not have been able to run.

03/01/2013 at 17:54

Looks like i'll have to be the first to speak up in defence of mp3's then. Personally l wear one every time l go for a run as l really enjoy having something to listen to and (here comes the confession) l have the rocky 4 music on one of my playlists and when "there's no easy way out" comes on, l get a massive kick of determination.

l dont wear them in a race personally as there's enough of an atmosphere and you get enough encouragment from the other runners, marshalls and people on the sides to keep you going but for the days and nights where your all on your own, my ipod is essential to me.

03/01/2013 at 17:54
Joolska wrote (see)

and following the dogs will be the barefoot running thread

ffs - this forum is getting as repetitive as the bloody RW magazine!

03/01/2013 at 17:56

GE21 - I don't think anyone's knocking them in training - just in races

03/01/2013 at 18:19

Cake,

MP3 for cyclists is stupidly dangerous and you take your life in your own hands.

Using them in races is also something I find odd, and selfish.

But runners wearing headfones on the street? Where's the problem in that?

Way more dangerous is those "all the gear no idea" types who go out running at night, kitted up in all black trendy gear.

Edited: 03/01/2013 at 18:21
03/01/2013 at 18:23
fat buddha wrote (see)

GE21 - I don't think anyone's knocking them in training - just in races

So you think l was a tad hasty in my addmitance of listening to the rocky 4 soundtrack?

Damn........

Think i'll go for a drive in my lambourghini to reflect on matters of the heart.......

03/01/2013 at 18:23
Only 10 months until the "London Marathon ballot is so unfair" threads.

On the subject of I pods, do what you like in training but if a race organiser says that you shouldn't use them, then why not respect his decision?
1 to 20 of 84 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.