My Last Run

Post details of your last run and what you think of it

20,241 to 20,260 of 20,430 messages
12/03/2016 at 18:12

2:06:38 official time.

13/03/2016 at 20:46

Excellent running Cal and a nice report

Andrea- great to "see" you here and it sounds like your running is going through the roof!

Me- Finchley 20 this morning.  Last night I had the most horrific nights' sleep imaginable. Youngest was poorly with a rotten cold, which always means she sleeps craply, and she excelled herself last night, and was awake from 10.30 pm until about 3. I had to get up at 6 so I had less than 4 hours sleep, more like 3.  Bloody sod's law when I had a race in the morning

Anyway, it all went to plan really. The plan was to do the first 10 at a very easy pace of 10mm, and the second at 9mm (in fact Plan A was to do 8.46 but Plan B was brought into action at circa 2am).  I stuck to that pretty much by the book, so the first half was 1.38 and total time was 3.09. The first time I've every done negative splits in any distance race and it felt quite odd to start off with, as it felt *too* slow to be at an easy chatting pace, but it certainly worked as a pacing strategy, and I was not too knackered at the end (although the final two miles *were* about 9.3)..

All of this, together with my recent HM time, means that realistically a sub 4 is not really in reach, but I will be happy to get near to last year's marathon time of 4.11 and hopefully I'm on track for that still.

I am absolutely exhausted now. Had an hour's nap when I got home but bed soon for me

14/03/2016 at 19:19
Good run Ness. Hope you're daughter's feeling better. I've been pretty rough with cold myself - does mean I've been resting and eating curries. Run the last couple of days and been far quicker than I'd have thought. Today 9.3miles in just over 1hr5. An absolute fountain of snot though. Went down a country lane I never use as it leads only to an impassable main road. It's got a slight tipping and dogging feel about it.
14/03/2016 at 21:32

Amazing running Cal & Nessie! i hope your daughter feels better soon. Running 20 miles is hard enough without being sleep deprived.

6 miles today ran at 70 % heart rate speed. Lovely sunshine too!

15/03/2016 at 10:42

JT, I run through several dogging and cottaging parts of Epping Forest.  Not recently though as I'm paranoid about spraining my ankle again, so boring roads until Manchester. I miss the forest (not the doggers / cottagers)

6 am speed session this morning 12 x 400m with small progress in pace. Just over 7mm. Not too bad considering my legs are still fairly tired from Sunday's 20

16/03/2016 at 19:53

Great racing ladies.  Pleasing to see a village life theme taking place with charming chatter about country lanes, dogs and cottages.  Ahhhhh

Hope everyone is holding up, especially the marathoners.  An ITB tweak is the most concerning thing to have happened to me so far, but it passed without too much fuss.  I did a 37.49 10k recently, nearly a minute over my PB so not massively impressed about that.  Hopefully just an off day.  Two and a half weeks until taper, it's come around swiftly.

16/03/2016 at 20:32

Bought myself some new kicks and they arrived yesterday and I did a steady 5k.

They are Nike trainers and I've always bought Nike, but I can't decide if they're too big. My other pair were a 7 and they fitted perfectly but these feel a little roomy.

16/03/2016 at 21:58

Strangely, taper starts soon for me. My last 20 this Friday.  It could not have come soon enough. The last month has been very hard going.

Tonight- 9 miles, 6 of those at tempo pace. Enjoyed it. Felt strong

17/03/2016 at 09:44

SB, I envy you that you feel disappointed with a time like that. I know it's all relative, but damn.

Nessie, me too, and ditto. My legs are in rebellion.

Anyway, sports massage on Monday was pretty tough. My masseur said he'd never seen my muscles so tight. I decided I'd just do yoga on Tuesday to allow for a bit of extra recovery and then did the same yesterday.

Today I saw the sun shining and decided that I needed to get out there to avoid crossing that fine line between caution and laziness. I also decided that my new shoes should make their maiden voyage. Like my current pair, they're Nike Free 3.0s, but in an eye-searing combination of hot pink and dayglo orange, which I settled for because they were more discounted than the other colours. Seriously these are the brightest shoes I have ever owned, and I have a pair of purple and red trail shoes with neon orange soles and neon yellow laces sat in the corner.

Anyway, I did just over 5 and a half miles, with a couple of mile intervals thrown in. I actually managed to run one of the fastest miles I've done in recent history, albeit on the mile that has a mostly downward gradient.

Splits were 10:24, 10:24, 8:13, 10:23, 8:29 and then 10:24 pace for the last bit. I'm actually staggered at the consistency of my warm-up/recovery/cool-down sections.

My left leg actually complained more than the right, today. I had a good stretch when I got back and sprayed myself with mag oil (which itches like a mutha, btw). I'm wondering if I'm actually deficient in something such as mag or Vit D. My diet is actually quite high in mag but since I do sweaty stuff like running and Bikram yoga and also drink a lot of coffee, it's possible it's getting depleted. As for D, I do supplement but I'm not always consistent about taking my pills.

tl;dr - had a good run today but ache a lot.

18/03/2016 at 22:48

My last 20 miler today  

it was fine really, and I am so relieved the taper can start!! 

There is a small matter of the 5k sport relief swimAthlon that I'm doing at the Olympic pool on Sunday...

19/03/2016 at 16:35

Crocked for months.  Now allowed out on my own, so what have I started?

Yep.  79 days.

19/03/2016 at 22:46

clocked 24:11 at parkrun. I was sub 24 last week. Stupidly did a speed interval workout yesterday and I went out until 1:00am, admittedly not the best preparation.

20/03/2016 at 12:32

Still faster than me, Andrea, by quite some way.

20 miler done. It was hell. For some reason, even though it was mostly the same course as the 19 I did a few weeks ago, and less chilly weather, it was a lot bloody harder. My glutes and hams were screaming for the last few miles and I actually started groaning and cursing out loud. Couldn't wait for it to end. I'm now wondering how in the nine hells I am going to last another 6 miles.

Garmin gave out just after 20 miles, so I figured I'd stop and walk the last few yards to my door. The run was 3 hrs 42 - I thought the 10 was supposed to last five hours so I'm now wondering if I need a new one for Manchester.

Hot bath when I got back. I'm not really a bath person - I just can't be arsed with them - but my body was screaming for a bath and I do feel much better afterwards.

20/03/2016 at 17:14
SB, a painfully fast 10k. I find all out pace quite intimidating.
Swittle is this a not running streak? Any chance you'll be able to break it soon?
Good work on the 20milers Ness and Cal. It does test any niggles or fatigue that may be floating about.
On the theme, 20miles offroad today. Sunny and pleasant. It was an explore of a bunch of obscure tracks and bridleways. Lot of stopping and starting negotiating countryside furniture, working out where the path was, working out where I was. My shoes were full of crap early on wading a flooded field. That was the worst of it but rough, muddy and tiring throughout. Not quick. Met a friendly man in a dressing gown, and saw a little bunny rolling about. Not so sweet when it turned out to have a broken leg and screamed trying to get out of my way. Poor little thing.
20/03/2016 at 17:46
Oh yeah, had a pee into a badger burrow and about 10mins later fell over. Karma is very quick nowadays.
21/03/2016 at 00:20

15 miles long run on the park trail.

Took 2:01:22

My legs were rested, the earth was soft, and it was entirely run on perceived effort

The week begins....

21/03/2016 at 08:06

JT, sounds nice apart from the bunny and the falling down part. Reminds me of when I visited my godparents last year in Cambridgeshire and got to run in proper countryside (rather than commons, as I do in London).

Nice job, Stephen.

21/03/2016 at 11:55

Cal - Apologies, it wasn't meant to seem like a boast.  There are and always will be, many folk quicker than I.  As you say, it is all relative.  It's just that I did 36.58 over a year ago, brought my half down this year and the course was flat and the weather perfect. Felt in good fettle for a PB, so to struggle and end up nearly a minute away was an unexpected let down.  If it's any consolation, the winner won it is 28.50 something or other.....holy crap!!!

Ness - Well done and kudos to you for again making it to taper unscathed.  God I wish I was there now!  I have a week and 6 days left, i'm exhausted (partially work's fault tbh).  I almost never fall asleep on the sofa but did so twice this weekend.  The Mrs is actually a little concerned, bless her.

JT - hello!  Still churning out those big ones then?

Swits - You just can't help yourself  Good to hear from you.

My Monday started with a 6am 17 miler.  I fly out to Spain for Easter on Wednesday so trying to pack the longer runs in before I go.  "Warm weather training" as they call it, will be a welcome thing.

21/03/2016 at 17:18

Been at Legoland with the family for the last two days. I was desperate for a run. Just ran 8 miles  in 1 hour & 9 mins. Average pace 8:44, lovely negative splits with the last being the fastest at 8:02. Think that's the fastest I've ever ran 8 miles!

22/03/2016 at 08:41

SB, no worries - I didn't take it as a boast, I'm just impressed. I know I'm always going to be one of the slower people who runs seriously enough to race regularly, although I must admit I do feel slightly annoyed at folks who manage to run sub-2 in their first half marathon when I'm still trying to get there after 11 of the buggers.

Anyways, nice running Andrea, and enjoy Spain SB.

After a slack day yesterday where I blew off spin and just did some yoga, I wasn't sure if my legs would be up to running today but when I saw the sunshine I couldn't resist. 4.2 miles at a comfortable pace, averaging 10:27 min/mi. Legs are still tight and a little sore but not as bad as I'd feared. With the sun, birdsong, daffodils and blossoms, it was actually really pleasant and enjoyable. A nice antidote to the horrible grind on Sunday.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.