My Last Run

Post details of your last run and what you think of it

20,581 to 20,600 of 20,865 messages
09/08/2016 at 06:32

Goodmorning all!

Cal, I did, indeed! By a few meters!!!!! 

Yesterday evening, due to lack of time, I did 7k (~4,35 miles) on a treadmill in about 32'. It was a progression run, from 11k/h to 16k/h.

Later yesterday evening, I've met with a couple of chums we hung around and had us a wee wine and a few chuckles!

09/08/2016 at 09:31

A tiny taper on the plan, Cal.  Glad you're feeling set to star!

Becks, if you did the maths, those hills would add some distance.  Good sesh.

Hermes, it's great running to be around 8 min/mile pace.

For me, a warm, blustery 10 miles, off road, XC & beach last Sunday; 3 miles recovery @ a very sociable pace yesterday, and 4 miles at 0730, sand hills beach, trails and a higher than usual Labrador count .

09/08/2016 at 10:58

Good luck on Saturday Cal

back from holiday last week - didn't do too much running whilst away - had a nice jog along part of the course for the Jungfrau marathon (12,5 km).  I guess the more or less quick sprints involved in launching and landing a paraglider don't really count as training...   Carrying 17kg uphill for an hour probably does though..

Since return:

5,5km in 00:30 on Friday to get back into it

Combi training run & bike on Saturday (7km in 00:39 and around 40km with around 1000 metres elevation gain)

Gentle mountain hike on Sunday with around 1400 metres elevation gain

09/08/2016 at 11:52

Thanks Swittle - the hills aren't small either!

Still trying to work out training, 5x a week is a little too inflexible for me but I'm worried if I deviate I won't stick to it at all. Want to do as well as I can in the half in Oct but only on week 4 (of 11) and am due 2x3M, 4M, 6M and 8M this week! So thinking I may drop 1x3M and the 6M for swimming/exercise bike...? On the other hand im thinking if I stick to it as much as possible then I'll find the half easier surely? Ohhhh decisions decisions!!

Hazelnut - were you in the paraglider? I've always wanted to try it one day!

09/08/2016 at 20:51

Went for a spontaneous run yesterday evening as I was bored (was meant to be a rest day). It turned out to be one of my most pleasant runs and I beat my pb for 7km with 5:29min/km average pace.

Also a 10km today (bit slower at 5:44min/km but still my 2nd best 10km time so far

Not sure where this sudden burst of pace has come from but it sure feels great and a nice prognosis for the upcoming 1/2 marathon - less than 2 weeks time now

10/08/2016 at 07:32

Q sometimes spontaneity brings very good - or pleasant - results!

Earlier today I run 5k (~3,2miles) in 19'39 at the track. 10k overall

10/08/2016 at 10:14
Nice running all!
Me- 5 mile race XC with the club on Saturday at a slow pace but I enjoyed it. 7 mile easy on the Sunday and a track session yesterday. The others wanted an easy one as they're racing tonight so it was 100m fast, 100m jog, round the track 12 times. Felt pretty hard to me
Open water swim coaching tonight
10/08/2016 at 10:35

Sounds good for your half-marathon Q

BecksF: yes I've been flying for the last 15 years almost - longer than I have been running (around 9 now..).  Deviating from your plan occasionally won't hurt I think.  You don't say what sort of runs those are (speed work etc.). I would avoid always replacing a certain type of run. 

10,4 km in 00:59 yesterday evening on a hilly course with my regular Tuesday group.  Enjoyed a good chat as always and the cooler weather..

3 hour long jog planned for tomorrow, 120km cycle on Friday and racing on Sunday (hill race 14km, 800m elevation gain) - that should tire me out a bit..

10/08/2016 at 13:22

Hazelnut - that is a pretty cool hobby!

At the moment I only have 1 speed so all the runs tend to be similar, I am going to try and push myself faster on the 3M though even if I have to walk as a kind of interval run!

I have deviated this week - 3m, swim, 6m, swim, 3m, 8m, rest! About 8 weeks away from the half, am I on track? The runs are very steady and a mix of run/walk, running slowly then walking when I have to for about a min (or up hills). I can do the 3mile on a slight hill without walking however?

10/08/2016 at 22:49

Some very solid training from everyone here.

Hazelnut - that does sound cool. My non-running hobby (well, apart from computer gaming) is riding rollercoasters. I just hit my 800th on holiday a couple of weeks ago.

4 miles easy today. Probably won't run again before Saturday. My right knee has been grumpy so I'm keeping an eye on it.

11/08/2016 at 06:55

Allow that knee the time to recover Cal! 

Nessie, sounds like good times! 

As for me, I visited the track again earlier today. 12,7k (a few meters short of 8 miles) in about 1 hour. I "incorporated" 4 faster strides of two laps each (3'20 == 3'10) in my session.

11/08/2016 at 11:03

'Soft, refreshing rain' just about covers conditions early on for a four-mile off roader in Crosby Coastal Park.  Fine battalion of Canada Geese by the 2nd lake breakfasting herbivorously.  Unseasonably breezy.

11/08/2016 at 11:45

Swittle - after the recent heatwave I have come to appreciate both the rain and a breeze!

Cal - I'm guessing you travel for that hobby? I love rollercoasters, one day want to go to six flags.

5.6miles for me yesterday on my looping run. Nearly caved after 3.5 but pushed on, couldn't muster the 7 miles though.

11/08/2016 at 18:19

Last night was my most successful open water swim to date. As well as the drills, I did a full lap of the lake without stopping, which is about 800m. Loved it and felt I could do a lot more if needed, got into a good rhythm, got into the zone. Then I was quite tired this morning and time poor, but managed a 4 mile progression run

12/08/2016 at 11:06

Hill reps this morning- 8 reps. Off to Malta tonight so see you in a week or so MLRers 

12/08/2016 at 13:15

Becks - yes. I've been to the US several times and have visited at least 10 different Six Flags parks (I say at least, because a couple of the parks I went to were bought by Six Flags and then sold again or closed, so it's as high as 13 if you count those). The furthest I've travelled thus far is Korea and Japan, and I'm going to Dubai and hopefully China next year.

Good job on the swim and hills, Nessie. Have fun in Malta.

No running since Wednesday for me - I'm racing tomorrow.

13/08/2016 at 08:57

Hello everybody, 15,7k (~9,75miles) in 1:18' roadrun for me today.

Road with inclines and declivities, did like it! Also, it was pleasantly cool for a change today, at long last. Puffy white clouds and a cool breeze! Everytime I took a look towards the local mountain, it seemed to me that the clouds did mean serious business up there, for their colour was grayish and their formations thicker, and thin low dark coloured clouds were running hastily towards the south

Edited: 13/08/2016 at 09:00
13/08/2016 at 16:53

Good job, Hermes!

And today I was running in the Hermes Thames Meander half marathon (Hermes is the company that organises it.)

I'd done two Thames Meanders thus far - Autumn (November) which was muddy and slippery with driving rain, and Spring (March) which had blue skies but still a lot of mud. The Summer race promised to be easier underfoot, but with with the added challenge of heat, especially as it doesn't start until 10:30am which means finishing as the sun reaches its zenith. Consequently, I wasn't expecting a PB, but I was actually on target for one until half way when the heat started to sap my strength. I finished in 2:04:17, and I can't be disappointed with that as it's my third fastest half to date, plus a course PB. Absolutely exhausted now!

14/08/2016 at 12:28

Hey Cal, I am the organisor of this race but I try to keep it low, so please do not let your friends know 

You did well, also, from what I am reading! Rest now for a week and then you can go ahead!

15/08/2016 at 08:34

Hello everybody!

I did a road run today. About 14k (~9miles). I have spoted a suburban road relatively free of traffic. It has an incline, mild to begin with, and getting steeper. Overall about half a mile of incline. Did 5 reps. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.