My Last Run

Post details of your last run and what you think of it

7,801 to 7,820 of 17,982 messages
04/09/2009 at 17:15

Evening MLRers

Last night - 7:30 - Club Tempo - 6.9 miles - 52mins

2 miles out from club across rec and over Hadleigh Downs,
1 mile approx 300 ft asc .. UP! Castle Hill to Hadleigh Castle and then on wards and upwards to the London Rd,
2 miles along the London Rd from Hadleigh to the top of Bread & Cheese Hill,
1.9 miles 300ft dec to ground zero .. Benfleet Running Club.

Had a really good run  slow comfy start then picked it up just before the hill, on the tails of some of the faster group, and from the top galloped all the way home .. job done.

Essex Way Relay on Sunday .. Stage 7 West Bergholt to Dedham 11ish miles.

Happy running all and good luck to everyone racing this weekend .. lets hope the wind's behind you

04/09/2009 at 20:39
0615 Just as windy as yesterday, so i followed a similar strategy of avoiding the wind by taking the side roads, then turning onto the prom near Crosby Baths and enjoying watching snakes of sand being swept up & away, some of it onto me! A light wind jacket & my gloves suggest autumn proper isn't far away.
4.2 miles, 37:50, JogWatch: 1
04/09/2009 at 21:18

7 pm or thereabouts.  6 miles exactly in 62 minutes, not too bad for a plodder I think.  I was dreadfully slow for the first 2.5 miles, no idea why, my body just didn't seem to be co-operating.  Anyway, halfway up the hill out of Pickworth my old bones seemed to wake up and pace increased to a much more satisifactory rhythm.  A full moon came up and I had the joy of watching 3 rather large cummulo nimbus clouds forming.  No sign of any swallows or dragon flies - far too cold for that now I think.  It started getting very dark over the last mile, glad I had put some reflective stuff on.....

mad peacock twirling in the middle of the orad - 1

full moooooooooooooooon - 1

04/09/2009 at 22:11

Good run tonight. Was planning on going for longer but decided to cut it short at 1:03 though since I hadn't took anything along and was feeling fatigued as I've been walking around all day.

Almost got knocked over by a woman on a bike in the first 5 minutes - turned a corner and she was just coming RIGHT at me. I screamed like a little girl then muttered FFS under my breath (not at her, just at the circumstance)

New trainers felt good but heavy compared to old Asics. I guess it's because they've worn down so much. Really bitter about the £75 - the most I've ever spent on running shoes.

Huge bright moon and lots of pink clouds made for a nice second half - didn't get any stick off anyone either. Ran past the dodgey petrol station and thought as I always do, about that letter in an old RW where a man just ran into a petrol station and said something like 'I'm fully aware of what I'm about to do and I don't care about the consequences' then nicked a bottle of water before carrying on.

Never quite mustered the courage to do it myself yet though...

04/09/2009 at 23:35

I did a 13.25 mile run tonight in 1:57!  Mainly on the road,  but did include 2.5 miles on a public footpath.

I was over the moon,its the furthest I have ran, and a few months back would never have imagined I could run that far without stopping. Really looking forward to the great north run now!! My Nike Lunarglides felt great until I got some mud stuck on the soles which double the weight!!

My legs feel a bit sore now, but it was well worth it!!

05/09/2009 at 14:13
Congratulations, Anch  and good luck in the GNR.
05/09/2009 at 15:38
3pm Just a short, slowish run to bring up 40 miles for the week. Ran to my barber's but it was closed so headed for the prom which resembled a series of dunes after the recent winds. Over these and across to the cycle path, then through Marine Gardens and home.

2.2 miles, 20:04, JogWatch: 1
05/09/2009 at 15:57

Thanks Katb!!

Picked up a few niggles yesterday so no run today for me, getting a bit of much needed rest. Hoping to do an easy 4 miles tomorrow!

05/09/2009 at 16:01

Nice work Anch

Hospital 5k again today.

1k -3.52.46 - Started ok and a chap on the other side of the road shouted "I want to be like you!" seem genuine. Passed a wedding at the church. No problem getting over the A41.

2k– 3.59.21 - Was starting to feel a little tired as I turned towards the hospital and the splits explain why, yesterday I gone out hard but today I was 10 secs quicker for the 1st km and 5 for the 2nd and that was too much, plus I felt a little short of energy in general.

3k– 4.22.84 - lost time on this Km as I was acosted by a pair of playful retrievers. There were quite  afew dog walkers on the path today.

4k– 4.14.22 - just trying to hold the effort now, made back over the 41 ok.

5k– 4.39.47 - the last km seemed to have grown a  hundred foot of ascent today, the harder you run this course the tougher the hills are, I really didn't notice them on day 1, legs were like lead as I tried to push it in to the finsh.

Overall pleased with the run even tho it wasn't an improvement on yesterday 21:07.20 - 6:47m/m

A little parkfit session to finish.              May run the course clockwise tomorrow.

Edited: 05/09/2009 at 16:24
05/09/2009 at 19:22
Marshallini - That looks like a decent 5k run to me. I'm struggling to get under 23 minutes on the road, can do 20:40 on a treadmill but only managed that once. I've got a question whats the best approach when you meet dogs on your runs, the more I run on the road and public footpaths, the more I seem to come across them. Is it best just to keep running towards them or should you wait for their owners to put them on a lead or get them under control? I dont really fancy getting bitten, by another dog anyway.
05/09/2009 at 20:02

Anch - Every dog (and owner) is different, generally I just keep on running. But I don't assume I have right of way or anything and will move out of the way.

I think there are 4 types of dogs and it's not always clear what you've got in front of you until you are right on top of them;

1- Ones that aren't interested. They're fine.
2 - Ones that just want to play and they're ok and unless they are not heeding their owners calls and just keep following me, then I'll stop and try and reunite them.
3 - Ones that chase you barking but don't really mean any harm, not sure why they do it, but they do, they tend to be little annoying little yappy ones and if they were to get too aggressive I would just boot them.
4 - And ones that want to eat you and fortunately I haven't encountered any of them.

There are breeds I would always give a wide berth, rottweilers, pit bulls etc, especially if the owner is some chav.
As for other owners they usually are pretty good and call their dogs back or pull them in.

What really annoys me is those long retractable leads. Where there's a dog on one end and the other side of the path is the owner and there is no way passed.

05/09/2009 at 20:22

have you ever had one of those leads wrapped round your legs?  Painful and it leaves a nasty scar. (hope coops doesnt read this)

8.31am Sunday. LSR 7.96 miles 1h27mins. Straight up the A6 to Chorley Town hall, across and through the market, along the ring road and back down the A6.  A bit of a boring run,but miles in the bank. Tapering for the rest of the week.

Edited: 06/09/2009 at 11:13
06/09/2009 at 13:16

After taking the dog out for a walk and collecting loads of lovely damsons decided to nip out for a run.  It feels like its been a while since I last did a weekend run but I know for the next two weeks at club we will be working on the track so wanted to get some miles in.  Went out of Hedon and on to the cycle/footpath towards Hull and turned back at Somerden Road round-a-bout.  Like Katb's run pretty boring as far as scenery goes but at least I was out there doing my bit. Distance of run was 5.08 miles in a steaady time of 43mins and 16 secs which gave me an average pace of 8.31 min/miles.

The rest of my afternoon will be spent having a final tidy up etc before going back to work tomorrow.  The beef is in the slow cooker and just about to start preparing the veg and make the yorkshire puddings!

06/09/2009 at 15:20

Mmmmmmmmmmm Sunday roast.

Well done everyone who's out doing a bit and if you're racing today have  agood one.

Hospital 5k in a clockwise direction today. 20:50.18 - 6:42m/m

1k - 3:44.80 - ok this Km is mainly down hill but I was suprised to see a split that quick as I wasn't really pushing it 100%.

2k - 4:00.04 - Made it over the 41 ok, I felt the first tiny climb in to Countess View. The climb from the car park thru the 2k marker was worse again

3k - 4:13.17 -I was blowing now after the little climb. Had a little hesitation at one point as I thought I'd taken the wrong path, but hadn't. Still a pretty quick Km.

4k - 4:31.37 - Thru the corn fields and the climb there was killing me. Especially the bit over the railway. Lost a couple of seconds crossing back over the 41 the hills show in the split.

5k - 4:20.80 Stil working hard but it felt slow but to be fair 4:20 is that bad. Legs were very heavy and I am tired.

Overall a lot quicker than expected and how it felt.   My maps say it has overall less ascent clockwise but I think they are tougher climbs this way. Another parkfit session to finish again.

Edited: 06/09/2009 at 15:32
06/09/2009 at 16:22
long run this morning, 10.1m in 1.39. not as quick as last week but that's not surprising. more consistent splits for sure, but was hard work on the last mile. think the Robin Hood half is a step too far for now, guess it will still be there next year, will concentrate the energies now on the Worksop half in 7 weeks time.
06/09/2009 at 16:52
2pm Rather grey with rain not far away but quite warm, with a cooling breeze. Over railway and onto the grassy expanse, circling both lakes and heading for the beach. Ran as far as tide would allow and scrambled up to the coastal path into the outskirts of Hightown. After a noisy but friendly encounter with a deep-voiced Bassett hound, I skirted the golf course as far as the Coastguards', then ran down Burbo, past the Baths and took the cycle track & side roads home. An enjoyable run, made so by backing off the pace a little

10 miles 1:30:18 JogWatch: 3
06/09/2009 at 17:53

Not been out in over a week, but I made it out the door today. It's been a difficult week and it finally got too much friday and saturday, so had taken it easy today - and had an afternoon nap. Decided on a lollipop run, a 3.1 miler out and back on the roads with a loop around some fields, but nice and even underfoot.

I made a concious effort not to go out too fast, which I think I have a tendancy to do, but to keep the first 5 minutes a bit slower. Conciously picked up the pace 2-3 times around the run, including making an effort to actually run the final stretch down hill, rather than sitting back on the brakes. Felt really good for almost the whole way round.

Either the watch is broken, or being at the end of my tether is good for my running. 3.1 miles in a staggering 27:13. That's 8:47 min/miles!! Never broken 10 min/milesbefore. Think that deserves a small whayhey!

Jog watch - 1
small people on bicycles - 5

06/09/2009 at 19:50
Helen liz: it deserves a hoooooge whayhey! Well done
06/09/2009 at 20:16
 A massive whayhey is in order I think
06/09/2009 at 20:23

And a big Whayhey from me too.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.