My Last Run

Post details of your last run and what you think of it

7,821 to 7,840 of 17,255 messages
03/09/2009 at 19:20
02/09/09 -    6.71m
managed yo get out at 7:45 tonight. Again not sure how far I was going to run tonight? It was horrendous weather too, pissing down with rain and that carried on for most of the run. Set off untimed again and ran up to the BP garage sodden and thought I need to make miles so crossed over and carried on down the A4020. got to the roundabout and carried on. when I got to the Gardeners lights I decided to keep going. Got to the A40 zebra and kept on going. Running towards Ickenham the first part up to harvil Road I fought hanging tress full of water.
As i neared the village the rain was easing up to a constant rain, not nice. managed to open up a bit towards the A40 and home. Definitely a nice new route long but fairly easy.
03/09/2009 at 20:30
After two hard sessions in a row at the gym and some torrential downpours in costa del chorley, I decide to forego the club run tonight which also means i must get out tomorrow as part of my training for next weekend.  Some fantastic running by all you other MLR's.  Keep up the good work.
03/09/2009 at 21:16
Very, very windy here on the East Coast of Yorkshire today.  Down to club tonight for a track session.  Kept my running jacket on tonight as it was very chilly in the wind.  Would have liked to have taken my jacket off after the 3 laps of warm up but knew it would just blow away.  Tonight we worked on 800m reps followed by 400m to recover.  Did this 4 times in total before finishing of with 3 laps as a cool down.  Not a fast session  tonight but managed to maintain my times over the 800m sets. 
03/09/2009 at 21:39

Evening MLR'ers

Club night which promised sunshine as I left the house but actually delivered wind & rain from about a mile in. 

Set off up a gravel track for a mile then across the wettest peaty marsh in wales before downhill back to the road complete with wet  insoles wrinkling under my feet again. Strong finish back to the car involved a mile of climb which I managed even though everyone else stopped to walk. 

4.5 mile in about an hour so not quick but good training. 

How do I stop my insoles shifting???

03/09/2009 at 22:10
Camlo, I took some fell shoes back to the shop years ago - the recommendation was to glue the insoles in place - they've not shifted since despite many miles over hill & dale.
03/09/2009 at 22:12

6.18km in 30min 51secs

Today went for my usual 6km this time went even faster and set another PB! but it was REALLY hard. HR peaked at 198bpm. Used grass verges instead of the towpath in the park so less impact on the legs, wondering if this helped? I assumed running on grass would be slower, obviously not!

Next run probably on Sunday will do a long slow one about 7-8km need to start building up some stamina!

04/09/2009 at 11:22

well i think i've hit one of those mythical points in my training where my body seems to have worked out what i'm asking it to do. should have gone out last night but it had been a long day and the wind was gusting round and the rain was on and off so stayed in and hid on the sofa with the dogs. however that meant i had to go out this morning, so set the alarm for 6, took the dogs out first then set out for a short run. legs felt like concrete for the first half mile so opted to do a couple of laps round the village rather than my usual 4m loop so i had a get out clause if they didn't loosen up. first mile steady, passed a couple of dogwalkers, eased out the legs, expecting to be around 10.25 which is usual for morning runs when i need a bit of starting up, but no, 9.46 was what the garmin said. pleased with that but still feeling little stiff so carried on, round the corner, down the hill then as always back up again, loop round the pub to two miles, 9.17 - this is (was) my fastest mile in recent times. Back up the hill and the loop back past the dogwalkers (who i'm sure think i'm insane) and then back into the village at 9.36, felt comfy but not particularly hard so ran along, back round the pub again, glanced at the watch and noticed was going quite fast but until the last 100m didn't feel like it. finished last mile in 8.46 - first time EVER under 9m/mile. i definitely seem to have a thing about getting faster the further i run! so all in all, 4.01m in 37.30, av pace 9.20m/mile.

wow.

04/09/2009 at 14:07

Well done Hanna! ... you do just suddenly get better when you stick to the task.

MLR was at lunchtime today, 7.3 miles in 64:01, 8:46 min/mile. For the first 1.5 miles I played about with increasing my cadence to 90 but it was tough work ... and pretty hard to do while trying to keep HR under 140 bpm. After that I just settled back into my normal style (cadence is 80) and did 4-5 miles at sub 140 bpm, then put in a hard mile followed by a warm down. Felt very good today ... so that's now 4 runs this week (with one being a 5K race) totalling 25.4 miles in the last 7 days ... and that is much more like where I want to be. Need to keep this up for a month or two!

04/09/2009 at 15:58

NIce job Hanna and A P

Library Hospital 5k Loop again today 20:35.64 - 6.36m/m.

Couldn't have got a better run at this course today, no traffic hold up, no falling over, only hindrance was the wind which seemed to be against me going out and coming back, but nothing around the back of the hospital.

Took some splits today as this was the first real go at this course. Day 1 was just to work the route out, Day 2 was to iron out any problems and fine tune.

1k- 4.02.15
2k– 4.04.48
3k– 4.08.16
4k– 3.59.72
5k– 4.21.13

Pretty even splits there, 3k is a bit quick as when I came out on Countess Way there were two runners ahead and I picked it up to catch them, just about did but I turned up Countess View and they went straight on. Last Km is a little uphill (there aren't any real hills on the course but some nice undulations) and into the wind so I can live with it being a tad slower, saw another runner here.  If I can lose that 20 seconds I wont be too far off 20 mins which is the target now.

JogWatch -3

And a parkfit session to finish off.

Edited: 04/09/2009 at 15:59
04/09/2009 at 16:07

Well done, Camlo, hanna, Ap, DD and marsh.

Early morning run for me today.  I felt so guilty about not going to the club last night that I was out at 6am.  Up the A6 to Chorley Hospital and back.  5 1/2 miles approx 10mm average. I'm glad that I can keep up that pace and just hope it lasts for the HM next week and the week after.

04/09/2009 at 16:39

I know I'm kind of breaking the rules on the 'my last run' thread, but I'm so excited about running tonight that I simply can't wait until afterwards.

Got my Asics Nimbus today - £75 Can't wait to try 'em out though Also my dodgey shin seems to be completely better so I'll be running completely uninjured (a rarity since April!)

Oh yes.

Edited: 04/09/2009 at 16:39
04/09/2009 at 17:15

Evening MLRers

Last night - 7:30 - Club Tempo - 6.9 miles - 52mins

2 miles out from club across rec and over Hadleigh Downs,
1 mile approx 300 ft asc .. UP! Castle Hill to Hadleigh Castle and then on wards and upwards to the London Rd,
2 miles along the London Rd from Hadleigh to the top of Bread & Cheese Hill,
1.9 miles 300ft dec to ground zero .. Benfleet Running Club.

Had a really good run  slow comfy start then picked it up just before the hill, on the tails of some of the faster group, and from the top galloped all the way home .. job done.

Essex Way Relay on Sunday .. Stage 7 West Bergholt to Dedham 11ish miles.

Happy running all and good luck to everyone racing this weekend .. lets hope the wind's behind you

04/09/2009 at 20:39
0615 Just as windy as yesterday, so i followed a similar strategy of avoiding the wind by taking the side roads, then turning onto the prom near Crosby Baths and enjoying watching snakes of sand being swept up & away, some of it onto me! A light wind jacket & my gloves suggest autumn proper isn't far away.
4.2 miles, 37:50, JogWatch: 1
04/09/2009 at 21:18

7 pm or thereabouts.  6 miles exactly in 62 minutes, not too bad for a plodder I think.  I was dreadfully slow for the first 2.5 miles, no idea why, my body just didn't seem to be co-operating.  Anyway, halfway up the hill out of Pickworth my old bones seemed to wake up and pace increased to a much more satisifactory rhythm.  A full moon came up and I had the joy of watching 3 rather large cummulo nimbus clouds forming.  No sign of any swallows or dragon flies - far too cold for that now I think.  It started getting very dark over the last mile, glad I had put some reflective stuff on.....

mad peacock twirling in the middle of the orad - 1

full moooooooooooooooon - 1

04/09/2009 at 22:11

Good run tonight. Was planning on going for longer but decided to cut it short at 1:03 though since I hadn't took anything along and was feeling fatigued as I've been walking around all day.

Almost got knocked over by a woman on a bike in the first 5 minutes - turned a corner and she was just coming RIGHT at me. I screamed like a little girl then muttered FFS under my breath (not at her, just at the circumstance)

New trainers felt good but heavy compared to old Asics. I guess it's because they've worn down so much. Really bitter about the £75 - the most I've ever spent on running shoes.

Huge bright moon and lots of pink clouds made for a nice second half - didn't get any stick off anyone either. Ran past the dodgey petrol station and thought as I always do, about that letter in an old RW where a man just ran into a petrol station and said something like 'I'm fully aware of what I'm about to do and I don't care about the consequences' then nicked a bottle of water before carrying on.

Never quite mustered the courage to do it myself yet though...

04/09/2009 at 23:35

I did a 13.25 mile run tonight in 1:57!  Mainly on the road,  but did include 2.5 miles on a public footpath.

I was over the moon,its the furthest I have ran, and a few months back would never have imagined I could run that far without stopping. Really looking forward to the great north run now!! My Nike Lunarglides felt great until I got some mud stuck on the soles which double the weight!!

My legs feel a bit sore now, but it was well worth it!!

05/09/2009 at 14:13
Congratulations, Anch  and good luck in the GNR.
05/09/2009 at 15:38
3pm Just a short, slowish run to bring up 40 miles for the week. Ran to my barber's but it was closed so headed for the prom which resembled a series of dunes after the recent winds. Over these and across to the cycle path, then through Marine Gardens and home.

2.2 miles, 20:04, JogWatch: 1
05/09/2009 at 15:57

Thanks Katb!!

Picked up a few niggles yesterday so no run today for me, getting a bit of much needed rest. Hoping to do an easy 4 miles tomorrow!

05/09/2009 at 16:01

Nice work Anch

Hospital 5k again today.

1k -3.52.46 - Started ok and a chap on the other side of the road shouted "I want to be like you!" seem genuine. Passed a wedding at the church. No problem getting over the A41.

2k– 3.59.21 - Was starting to feel a little tired as I turned towards the hospital and the splits explain why, yesterday I gone out hard but today I was 10 secs quicker for the 1st km and 5 for the 2nd and that was too much, plus I felt a little short of energy in general.

3k– 4.22.84 - lost time on this Km as I was acosted by a pair of playful retrievers. There were quite  afew dog walkers on the path today.

4k– 4.14.22 - just trying to hold the effort now, made back over the 41 ok.

5k– 4.39.47 - the last km seemed to have grown a  hundred foot of ascent today, the harder you run this course the tougher the hills are, I really didn't notice them on day 1, legs were like lead as I tried to push it in to the finsh.

Overall pleased with the run even tho it wasn't an improvement on yesterday 21:07.20 - 6:47m/m

A little parkfit session to finish.              May run the course clockwise tomorrow.

Edited: 05/09/2009 at 16:24
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.