My Last Run

Post details of your last run and what you think of it

7,841 to 7,860 of 17,745 messages
05/09/2009 at 19:22
Marshallini - That looks like a decent 5k run to me. I'm struggling to get under 23 minutes on the road, can do 20:40 on a treadmill but only managed that once. I've got a question whats the best approach when you meet dogs on your runs, the more I run on the road and public footpaths, the more I seem to come across them. Is it best just to keep running towards them or should you wait for their owners to put them on a lead or get them under control? I dont really fancy getting bitten, by another dog anyway.
05/09/2009 at 20:02

Anch - Every dog (and owner) is different, generally I just keep on running. But I don't assume I have right of way or anything and will move out of the way.

I think there are 4 types of dogs and it's not always clear what you've got in front of you until you are right on top of them;

1- Ones that aren't interested. They're fine.
2 - Ones that just want to play and they're ok and unless they are not heeding their owners calls and just keep following me, then I'll stop and try and reunite them.
3 - Ones that chase you barking but don't really mean any harm, not sure why they do it, but they do, they tend to be little annoying little yappy ones and if they were to get too aggressive I would just boot them.
4 - And ones that want to eat you and fortunately I haven't encountered any of them.

There are breeds I would always give a wide berth, rottweilers, pit bulls etc, especially if the owner is some chav.
As for other owners they usually are pretty good and call their dogs back or pull them in.

What really annoys me is those long retractable leads. Where there's a dog on one end and the other side of the path is the owner and there is no way passed.

05/09/2009 at 20:22

have you ever had one of those leads wrapped round your legs?  Painful and it leaves a nasty scar. (hope coops doesnt read this)

8.31am Sunday. LSR 7.96 miles 1h27mins. Straight up the A6 to Chorley Town hall, across and through the market, along the ring road and back down the A6.  A bit of a boring run,but miles in the bank. Tapering for the rest of the week.

Edited: 06/09/2009 at 11:13
06/09/2009 at 13:16

After taking the dog out for a walk and collecting loads of lovely damsons decided to nip out for a run.  It feels like its been a while since I last did a weekend run but I know for the next two weeks at club we will be working on the track so wanted to get some miles in.  Went out of Hedon and on to the cycle/footpath towards Hull and turned back at Somerden Road round-a-bout.  Like Katb's run pretty boring as far as scenery goes but at least I was out there doing my bit. Distance of run was 5.08 miles in a steaady time of 43mins and 16 secs which gave me an average pace of 8.31 min/miles.

The rest of my afternoon will be spent having a final tidy up etc before going back to work tomorrow.  The beef is in the slow cooker and just about to start preparing the veg and make the yorkshire puddings!

06/09/2009 at 15:20

Mmmmmmmmmmm Sunday roast.

Well done everyone who's out doing a bit and if you're racing today have  agood one.

Hospital 5k in a clockwise direction today. 20:50.18 - 6:42m/m

1k - 3:44.80 - ok this Km is mainly down hill but I was suprised to see a split that quick as I wasn't really pushing it 100%.

2k - 4:00.04 - Made it over the 41 ok, I felt the first tiny climb in to Countess View. The climb from the car park thru the 2k marker was worse again

3k - 4:13.17 -I was blowing now after the little climb. Had a little hesitation at one point as I thought I'd taken the wrong path, but hadn't. Still a pretty quick Km.

4k - 4:31.37 - Thru the corn fields and the climb there was killing me. Especially the bit over the railway. Lost a couple of seconds crossing back over the 41 the hills show in the split.

5k - 4:20.80 Stil working hard but it felt slow but to be fair 4:20 is that bad. Legs were very heavy and I am tired.

Overall a lot quicker than expected and how it felt.   My maps say it has overall less ascent clockwise but I think they are tougher climbs this way. Another parkfit session to finish again.

Edited: 06/09/2009 at 15:32
06/09/2009 at 16:22
long run this morning, 10.1m in 1.39. not as quick as last week but that's not surprising. more consistent splits for sure, but was hard work on the last mile. think the Robin Hood half is a step too far for now, guess it will still be there next year, will concentrate the energies now on the Worksop half in 7 weeks time.
06/09/2009 at 16:52
2pm Rather grey with rain not far away but quite warm, with a cooling breeze. Over railway and onto the grassy expanse, circling both lakes and heading for the beach. Ran as far as tide would allow and scrambled up to the coastal path into the outskirts of Hightown. After a noisy but friendly encounter with a deep-voiced Bassett hound, I skirted the golf course as far as the Coastguards', then ran down Burbo, past the Baths and took the cycle track & side roads home. An enjoyable run, made so by backing off the pace a little

10 miles 1:30:18 JogWatch: 3
06/09/2009 at 17:53

Not been out in over a week, but I made it out the door today. It's been a difficult week and it finally got too much friday and saturday, so had taken it easy today - and had an afternoon nap. Decided on a lollipop run, a 3.1 miler out and back on the roads with a loop around some fields, but nice and even underfoot.

I made a concious effort not to go out too fast, which I think I have a tendancy to do, but to keep the first 5 minutes a bit slower. Conciously picked up the pace 2-3 times around the run, including making an effort to actually run the final stretch down hill, rather than sitting back on the brakes. Felt really good for almost the whole way round.

Either the watch is broken, or being at the end of my tether is good for my running. 3.1 miles in a staggering 27:13. That's 8:47 min/miles!! Never broken 10 min/milesbefore. Think that deserves a small whayhey!

Jog watch - 1
small people on bicycles - 5

06/09/2009 at 19:50
Helen liz: it deserves a hoooooge whayhey! Well done
06/09/2009 at 20:16
 A massive whayhey is in order I think
06/09/2009 at 20:23

And a big Whayhey from me too.

06/09/2009 at 20:33
very large wayhey cos that is such a good feeling!
06/09/2009 at 20:51

And a wayheeyyyy from me too!

10.5 miles today.  It was flipping cold when I set off at 10 am, but I am pleased to say it did warm up a tad.  Last long run before the Robin Hood HM next Sunday and I am glad to say I felt pretty good, no  knee problems, no back problems and no hunger pangs.  I have decided that energy gels are damn fine things and do seem to stop my grumbly tum.  So where did I go?  Up the long hill for 3 1/2 miles to Lenton, then a left turn towards Hanby, past the the aptly named house "fine view", then the chicken farm and onwards to Sapperton.  Down the hill to Pickworth and then up the hill out of it, then turn left and nearly 2 miles to home.  All done in 1 hour 50 mins, not fast, but OK.  Taper madness for the rest of the week, followed by HM.

Swallows -1 (looking very lonely he was too)

Smug cat with mouse - 1

Unicorn - 0

06/09/2009 at 21:11

Thanks guys! I'll leave the large celebration until I've proven to myself that it wasn't a one off and that I can do it again. I suspect it has been poor pacing (and a touch of laziness) that has kept me slow until now.

I did actually check that my running watch wasn't running fast, or something stupid, because I still don't quite believe that time is real! But the technology appears to be functioning correctly.

Anyway, on such a high that I've thrown running kit in the wash, drier and am now packing it to take to  on a 3 day business trip. Pity the rest of the hold baggage sharing a confined space with my shoes!

06/09/2009 at 21:13
Wolverhampton Marathon - Our 35 th FM in 4:39

After feeling unwell yesterday - bad head, sore joints , mentally subdued, snowed under with personal problems ,I didn’t go expecting to do more than a HM, Though I did know that the HM would NOT be a problem, just a formality as such, time wasn’t a worry, but of course the FM is a totally different story in every aspect

but as the morning unfolded, seeing and chatting to friends, I just kept myself calm, relaxed and positive, I went through my normal routine of changing and preparing, I never let anything let me differ or detract me from that
Phillip’s comfort and warmth is paramount to me - but of course I do have to look after myself

So, off we went, I would not push any pace, a comfortable 2:10 HM would suffice - but lingering in my subconscious deep would be - am I up to a FM today, and this remained with me, The FM if I were to carry on would be based on stored energy, and tactics and the want and will to survive, as my training now - a - days isn’t good

I clocked off the miles quietly, laughing and having fun, and re- assessed my physical and phsycological standing regularly

I quickly realised that I was in ok good form, I was feeling good, which was a surprise after yesterday , so I just kept cool, kept going , NO heroics - as I went along, I started to concentrate deeply on FM distance, the course has changed greatly , so I had No idea what to expect, I wasn’t even bothered

Marathons runners should be prepared and go expecting the unexpected , and for me today, as I’ve run Wolves many times my tactics paid real dividends , but my ultimate decision on switching from HM to FM would come much later around 11 miles or so

I knew that 26 miles today would ONLY come from my legs strong and my physiological stamina and strict mind structure, so I had to work on this, I knew I could handle the pain , but I didn’t want to struggle on the second lap just to say I’d done another marathon - that was NOT on my agenda, but I did have to make a decision soon, so after around 10 miles after the hill my mind was made, I was running relaxed, I felt strong, a 5 hour marathon would suffice

The HM came to an end in around 2:05, that wasn’t even on my mind, the new course didn’t bother me in the slightest, but this FM did, I wanted it badly, so onwards through 14 and 15 miles, now - I had to just run the streets and bends and junctions as I arrived at them, sore joints started, but I could handle that - I moved towards 20 miles, I was happy, really happy,

I felt a little fatigued and really sore for the first time around 20 miles, but I was fully in charge, I knew there was only 6 to go, I could handle that with NO problem
I felt proud as I moved on running All the way through 21, 22, 23 miles, then I savoured the last bit, 24 well, I was half in tears and half laughing, came to 25 and I just chilled and jogged home,

I felt real good, tired of course, but I was so happy, i had never lost control, today would stay with me for a long time finishing in 4:39

Could’nt quite believe it myself - but I had proved to myself I can still do it

Now for Robin Hood FM next week
06/09/2009 at 21:59
Mick oustanding effort, you rock! , well done, great report as well. Keep up the great work.
06/09/2009 at 22:02

Evening All

Summer's back! ... but why did it have to pick today?
There I was looking forward to a nice wet and windy plod through the Essex countryside next thing .. scorchio!

Today - 2:40pm - Essex Way Relay (Leg 7) West Bergholt to Dedham - 11.2 miles - 01:2? tbc

The Essex Way Relay .. in a nutshell .. 46 teams of 10 runners covering 82 miles of the Essex Way footpath from Epping to Harwhich.

Can't say it was my best days running. In fact it was prettty much a struggle from start to finish. Just didn't have the energy .. mainly due to flying off at the start ( was in fifth place for the first mile til the wheels started to fall off), getting confused (ok .. lost) in the same bit of woods that got me last year and going totally unprepared with drinks, gels etc (thank god for the two unofficial drinks stops)
That being said I've knocked a good 5 mins off last year and I think I was a place quicker (13th?? tbc) as well.
Had to have curry tonight to recouperate.

Happy running all

... and hope I'm not to late for a WaaayHeeeeeeyy!! Helen  

06/09/2009 at 23:05

Good running everyone.

M'bro 10k this morning, 46:30.  My first ever 10k race.  yesterdays preperation of walking and queuing around alton towers left my calfs feeling like lead this morning but in the end really enjoyed it and now have a PB to beat for the next 10k I decide to enter.

07/09/2009 at 08:38

That's a cracking time, FoC - well run!

0610  Dry, cloudy and quite breezy from the west here on Merseyside.  Through Marine Gardens and on to the Marina; prom and beach, then back roads, cycle path & Victoria Park.  Detour onto beach caused by high sand banks.

5 miles, 42:00, JogWatch: 0

07/09/2009 at 09:39

Well dom one and all with a late Way haay. Cracking effort Mick. Went up to Glasgow with my boy on Saturday for the TKD championships and then GSR on Sunday, our second HM together. Late night Friday and Saturday, not the best prep, my knee was twinging and he was a bit sore from his fights but not deterred. Bigger field than previous but weel organised pulse start, and altough there were some tight areas on the course, in the round and in the main it was a good course. Miles one to two knee was niggling but we had set of at around 7.30 pace and stuck with it, miles three to five really hurt and son was also feeling nauseous but at around six the pain in my kneee all but disappeared. The weather was light rain, which kept us pleasantly cool,The run through the first park at Bellahouston was uncomfortable but Pollok was an absolute pleasure, with gentle undulates and some good humour. We came through seven still on 7.30's. the next coupek were slightly rough as we had to work hard to maintain pace and not sure we did. Checked how A was feeling at 10 and we decided to press on. entered Glasgow Green at 12 and knew we would be well inside a PB for A as he had done 1.46 at the White Horse and we were a little bit ahead. Had to motivate him gently to maintain pace and we rounded the final bend, linking hands and running the last couple of hundred crossing in 1.38.11/12 so dad ahead by 1 sec (I started onw leg after him and finished one leg in front) One very tired but happy son and one very proud and now hurting dad, but both looking forward to nexr week in North Wales.
Run well people, back later.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.