My Last Run

Post details of your last run and what you think of it

7,881 to 7,900 of 17,238 messages
09/09/2009 at 16:51

9.87 miles last night.

Good but very, very humid. Got really hot in just a vest and shorts.

Farthest I've ran in one go in my new Nimbus - felt good towards the end, almost like I'd broke them in like old friends I think I may get used to them after all..

iPod wires really annoying me. Considering going without it tonight. May just swim instead, gotta build on mileage so I'm ready for Abingdon. Will try and do a 13.1 miler this weekend, then tail off in the week back down to 7 miles a day, then back to 10/13/15/18 etc.

Took some banana 'ride shotz' with me last night - ate one just before I finished (1 hour 28) - was REALLY chewy - don't remember them being that chewy at Stratford!

09/09/2009 at 20:39
went down to beginners night at local club last night, nice bunch of people. 5m ish run across fields and a good natter. as the nights draw in will be nice to have some company on some runs.
09/09/2009 at 22:24
Congratulations, marsh - you've joined the Chunder Club! Respec' on massive PB - and having your brekkie afterwards too

D2D, I love my Gel Nimbus for the cushioning and for their versatility: they're happy enough on beach and dune, as well as off road/trail if not too gloopy. Was a big Cumulus fan before that. Good luck for Abo

0620 A fine, bright morning with a gentle NW breeze - over railway and on the trail parallel to the dunes; past Crosby Baths for half a mile before turning back along the beach and tackling the one remaining mega sandbank on the prom. Over the trails to Marine Gardens, finishing with a big tour of Vic. Park.

5 miles, 42 min. JogWatch: 3
10/09/2009 at 07:04

Hi all

My last run was Tuesday morning in Parma, Italy. After Sunday's mega ego-bosting effort, the kit went in the bag and I asked the hotel reception for a suggested route. So down the boulevard, into the park and up a slope onto the top of a castle ramparts. (If it was in the UK, I'd have said it was Napoleonic in date and style, a 5 pointed star, brick built, bastions) They had a loose dressed surface path that is obviously well used by local runners. 1 lap and back to the hotel. I still don't quite understand italian drivers and narrowly avoided being squashed more than once. Also took a morning phone call from hubby, that slightly delayed me - I can't yet run and extract the phone from the back pocket, let alone run and talk!

3.1 miles in 33:17 at quite a relaxed pace (first time out, so not sure how far it would be, nor how hot), 11:06 min miles.

10/09/2009 at 13:17

Hi Everyone,

Was out this morning for what felt like a real taste of Autumn.  The Liverpool city skyline was still turning from orange to "full" daylight colours.  River Mersey was still and the tide was out. Am looking forward to running at sunrise in crisp weather.  Sorry, was wittering on a bit there. 

Did my hill run this morning - 35-ish mins for 5 up & down hills of differing gradients and length.  Nice steady pace, really enjoyed it.

Moggies stalking creepie crawlies or tucked under cars 8

Robin 1

Commuting cyclists 3

Friendly Jog Watch 1

10/09/2009 at 14:20

Swittle Whats the difference between Nimbus and Cumulus apart from the £10 in price?

Ran 6.1 last Monday evening as we had run out of milk and my route went near the shop at the end. Apart from that I'm having to wait until I have finished my return to duties stint before I can resume full training running into work again. Have also had to bin my race plans for the rest of this year as I can't afford any more time off work through injuries til next April (though I reckon I'll sneak a race in before the end of the year if no ones watching!)

10/09/2009 at 15:54

Thanks swittle,

Helen, Sounds nice in Italy .

The clockwise hospital 5k today.

1km - 3.41.00 - Over onto Church Ln no problem, wasn't up as much as I thought I'd be at Kingsmead but up none the less.

2km – 3.41.62 - Again no probs crossing the A41, passed a police car and police man on the railway bridge (there were 6-7 police cars out yesterday as well?) 

3k – 3.52.63 - I was feeling a bit tired around the back of the hospital on the off road section but was still pushing on.

4k – 3.53.61 - was holding up the traffic myself on the road out of the hospital, but I wasn't crossing over or runing on the grass. Worked hard up Countess Way and into Countess View, lost a second crossing at the lights. I knew if I was up at least 20 seconds here the sub 20 still was on.

5k - 4.06.10 - the climb from the railway bridge to Egerton Drive is a lot tougher than I remember, the beeps went off about here so I was up, but was it enough, I kept the pressure on and turned into Wealstone and again pushed to the finish. I think I knew I had enough to spare so never ran to the point of hurling again.

19:14.96 - 6:12m/m.

I think that will be the last full on effort on that course (although a sub 19 doesn't look impossible). I think I'll measure up an new slightly longer course (4 mile?) and run that easy tomorrow and maybe a LSR on Saturday and then start pushing it again.  9 hard 5k's in 9 days (well8 off them where hard) has got to take it's toll.

parkfit and scrambled eggs to finish.

10/09/2009 at 17:24

loving the running right now, daring to push myself rather than just tootle along as usual. Have decided if i can do sub 10m/mile for my long runs then what on earth am i doing that pace on my short runs for, so went out for a quick one this morning

usual 4m route round the village in 36.40, splits 9.25, 9.04, 8.57, 9.11. felt hard but not ridiculously so, and thankfully no need to puke - though i sympathise marsh, having been there before! PB by nearly a minute from last weeks 4m which so impressed me then...

Very pleased with this as have always been 10m/mile but seem to have run this down this summer and can see myself being a 9m/miler, which means the magical 2hr half may be within distance at some point...

10/09/2009 at 19:46

Hanna, I feel just the same at the moment. if I concentrate I can run faster than I thought possible.

Went out tonight to prove to myself that Sunday wasn't an aberation. Weather warm, but a stiffish breeze most of the way out. Same 3.1 mile route in 26:08, or 8:26 min/mile.  That's a minute faster than sunday, so I can do it.  Had a stitch ~ 15 - 16 minutes in, so didn't push too hard up the hill to 20 minutes, but really concentrated on running hard down it and then home. Ache like blazes now, but it's worth it.

Decided that I'm going to concentrate on building up the distance now, just throwing in a hard, fast run occasionally. I ran a 10k in my last running stint and missed the hour by 6:46. Now I seem to have found some speed from somewhere, I'm going to crack that hour.

10/09/2009 at 20:06
Hanna and Helen, outstanding efforts, made up for you and your progress. Onwards and upwards
10/09/2009 at 21:49

Another club track session tonight but tonight we concentrated on building our stamina.  Slightly cooler tonight so those Autumn nights are definitely on the way.  Started off by doing 3 laps as a gentle warm up before doing 400m + 200m recovery, we then did 600m + 200m recovery, 800m + 200m recovery and then finally 1000m +200m recovery.  After a quick rest we then went back down to 800m + 200m recovery and then lastly 600m before finishing off with 2 laps as a cool down.  A good session and worked hard.  Once back home and out of the bath I tucked into a bowl of curried noodles!

10/09/2009 at 22:23
Postie, I find the Nimbus's cushioning deeper without me losing the feel for the surface on which I'm running. I'm 13.5 stones, neutral foot plant, and had read good things about them for heavier runners. I'd had 2 prs of Cumulus and was pleased with them; switched to Saucony Trigon [2 prs], then decided on the Nimbus as a Marathon shoe. Bought a 'last year's model'.

mmmm, noodles

0630 Cooler & crisper but a cracking day on the way - saw same sunrise as Ickle Legs. Round park, over railway & across the grass to the small lake and the Marina's shore - easier to run now as it's being slowly emptied to aid engineering work. Took the tracks north past Esplanade & Marine Gardens, then side roads home.

4 miles, 34:22, JogWatch: 1 HeronWatch: 1 pair.
10/09/2009 at 23:13
Back to running in the dark now with these darker evenings.  Just a quick 2.5 miles tonight, cold a and crisp but made the run all that more refreshing.
11/09/2009 at 18:25

Starting at the Library again I'd mapped a new 7km route to replace the hospital 5k.

I'd memorised it clockwise, but at the last second decide to go  anti-clockwise. I left it til after 4 to run it as well as this is the time I'd run it next week but there was just too much school traffic and too many school kids too get a good clean run so at 1km (4:05.80) I decided to change the route (I actually went the wrong way)

Ended up back on the 5k route and followed it down as far as the turn off Countess Way and decided to go and check out a foot path over the golf course.

Ran up towards Mollington and passed a footpath sign which I didn't think was the one I wanted, but by the time I got to Mollington I'd realised it was so did a U turn.

Got on the path and then went the wrong way straight away (no signs/pointers )and did a big loop of the far end of the golf course and crossed the canal and came back up onto the 5k course.

At the 5k course 2km marker (or 3km depending which way your going) I had a choice; turn left and go back 2km or right and run 3km so I decided to go straight up Parson's Lane and along the A41 and rejoin the course at the Egerton Arms with 1km to go (5:01.21)

5.92 miles - 41;59.53 - 7:05m/m

After a decent/comfortable start I sort of lost interest on the golf course and basically plodded in and was left ultimately unfulfilled.

Edited: 11/09/2009 at 18:27
11/09/2009 at 19:30
Tapering before this Sunday's 'Yorkshireman' "HM" which comes out as 14.8 miles Mind you, I'm not complaining, as I'll be back in my spiritual home running a cracking off-road route with 1750 feet of ascent - forecast's good too! Best of all, free homemade cake, stew & hot drinks at the finish - tremendous value - techie T-shirt too last year

0630 Round the park & up into Blundellsands before crossing to Crosby Baths and back via cycle path & side roads. Cool and misty.

3.1 miles, 27:14, JogWatch: 0
11/09/2009 at 19:30

easy run planned for tonight, was going for 5m but felt hard at 2m so cut back early. think i went out too quick after yesterday, should have throttled back.

4.16m in 40.31

12/09/2009 at 17:53

Last night I found out about a race I was just thinking about the other day and although I wasn't really up for it I thought I'd do it anyway as it was only  a short one.

Frodsham Down Hill Race.

Part of the Frodsham Festival the race started from the Monument and goes down Bellemont Road, School Lane, Church Lane crosses over B5152 and goes down Fluin Lane to finish on the field of the community center.

I ran up to the start from the park on Langdale Road as a warm up and did a few little bits and pieces as I was waiting. I ran a little loop down on the Sandstone Trail and came back to find everyone lined up. So I made my way thru the bushes and braken and squeezed in at the front.

On the sound of the horn we were off and I was suprised by the speed of the start, the first 200m is offroad and I was left behind here a bit, I was about 7th thru the gates and on to the road, then the down hill starts.

On the second bend I'd got back up to third place and that's where I stayed, I was chasing hard but the two lads ahead of me were just too good, (Two young brothers who run for Vale Royal AC)

There are parts of Bellemont Hill which are really quite steep but the flatter bits made for really hard work.

The winner ran an official 5:47, second was 6:18 and I recorded 6:25 but my watch said 6:33.06

So 6:33 for 1.33 miles (365 ft descent) gives an average speed of 4:55 minute miling

I had to run back up to the top to pick up my race t-shirt which I hid in a bush and then went off for a little roundabout jog back to the car. Total mileage 7.18 miles.

13/09/2009 at 11:31

Haven't run in 2 weeks since my 10k race, and a hellish 18mile trek up Ingleborough last weekend. Thought it would be a horrible run getting back in the flow (only a newbie) but have 5k race in 2 weeks and really want to do well (in my eyes!) but wasn't so bad. A few creaks and groans from the legs at first and a bit of a stitch. 

So ran 4.7k in 32:51. Really want to beat my PB of 33:01 in 5k race. Today was hilly (first 2.5k all up hill), so hopefully my flatish 5k race will stand me in good stead?!?!

Jogwatch:0

Walker:1

Cyclists:2

Elderly lady walking & husband in motorised wheelchair:1

Bloodthirsy rottweilers:2

13/09/2009 at 14:02

another long one today,11 miles in 1.47.05. feeling good just pushing the distance out a little each week. the rather scary consequence of that is that for the first time ever i am seriously contemplating the idea of a marathon - eek!

cyclists - 15 in batches of two and three

idiots on quad bikes - 2

horse riders - 2

quite a sociable run really!

13/09/2009 at 14:14
Just did the great capital 5km, having only ever run 4km before and did it in 25.42 so really happy now, but want my legs amputated
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.