My Last Run

Post details of your last run and what you think of it

7,921 to 7,940 of 17,771 messages
15/09/2009 at 12:58
12/09/08 - 11.98m - 1'32'52
15/09/2009 at 13:00

13/09/09 - 8.32m -
Bugger. This was a great run out this morning. i eally had a great time. After yesterdays big run out I had aches and pains in the feet and legs. It didn't matter I was going out. So I went out and set off on a reverse route, 7.2 was originally my idea but when I hit the roundabout just past the whirly bridge I decided that although I felt a tad jaded I was going to go 8. Annoyed because my bloody watch re-set itself before I had a chance to note my time this morning. About 1'12 but didn't take enough notice to say for definite. It probably would have been a PB, shite, next time!

15/09/2009 at 13:28

Hi Everyone,

Was out by 6.30am today, bit later than hoped so missed the full colours of the sunrise, but did catch a lovely burnt orange sun creeping above the Liverpool skyline.  There was a definate chill when I left the house, but was soon the colour of a Ribena berry.

Did my "Hills" route today.  Just under 35 mins with 5 up & 5 downhills of differing lengths & gradients.  A nice steady pace & felt stronger than last week.  Happy days

Friendly runner - 1

Squirrel - 1

15/09/2009 at 20:51

Wirral Multi-Terrain Series Race 3

Thurstaston Common, the Beach, Wirral Way

I missed the first two because i was on nights and wasn't going to do this one either but thought "What the Hey! "

Met up with a friend and we decided just to run it easy!, The first  half mile it was an we were having a laugh, then we dropped down on to the beach and I passed about 15 people on the hill and thenrace mode took over.

On the beach there are a few options as to what surface to run on, I personally prefer to run on the rocks, is very unstable but you get a solid push off and I made more places up here.

Coming off the beach on to the Wirral Way I was running with a bloke from Penny Lane Striders and feeling pretty good and wasn't too far behind people I knew were pretty decent. Turning back towards the beach I tried to make a move and push o, but due to having to watch my feet I couldn't see if I'd dropped anyone.

Back on the Wirral Way It turned out I hadn't, I was still racing Penny Lane and at some point he passed me and got a bit of a lead, then a Lady from Liverpool caught me and I decided I'd try nad stay with her and started pushing it again we caught and passed Penny Laneand I kept ramping it up until I blew up and she dropped me, then I was spent and Penny Lane passed me back, I took a peak over my shoulder to a club mate chasing me down (the other easy runner!) so a last ditch effort to stay ahead of him had me finish in 33rd place, which I was more than pleased with.

Overall a very good run 4.9 miles - 32:23.40 - 6.36m/m good solidly paced run considering the terrain.

15/09/2009 at 20:56

3 miles after a very long and stressful day at work. 33:06. Bit slower than I'd hoped, but only a few seconds slower than same run on a relaxed Sunday morning.

Jogwatch: 0

Ignorant cyclist: 1

Friendly Lady Farmer: 1

Bloodthirsty Rottweilers: 2

15/09/2009 at 21:29
club run tonight, 5.58m in 54.28. they like to run up some hills this lot! going to do me good in the end i'm sure but hard work to start with. the light is fading fast in the evenings though.
15/09/2009 at 21:32

Another track session with the club tonight and again we worked on stamina.  3 laps of the track as a nice gentle warm up before starting on the main session.  We started off with a 300m run followed by a short recovery before moving up to 400m and a short recovery.  We then moved up to 500m with a short recovery before doing 600m.  After the 600m we did a couple of laps for recovery before doing the 600m again and a short recovery.  Next was the 500m with a short recovery and finally a 400m before finishing off with 2 laps of cool down.  We would have done a bit more but by this time we had lost the light so decided to call it a night.  I think we will only have one more track session then it will be back to pounding the streets of Withernsea during the dark winter nights.

15/09/2009 at 21:39

0620  A cool, bright Merseyside morning saw me round the park, over the tracks & down to the dunes.  Past the Baths & up Burbo before turning back down the beach & meeting a bloke looking for his mate's keys that he'd lost yesterday night while jogging - I suggested a metal detector might help   Between the lakes, over to Marine Gardens & home through the quiet side roads.  Great!!

5 miles, 42:00, JogWatch: 1  HeronWatch: 1  SwanWatch: 7

15/09/2009 at 22:36

Well done Mick n Phil!  Sorry I missed you both. As usual, you battled through the demons.  Great stuff.

Well, GNR  To run or not to run? that is the question, whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer another 13.1 miles of outrageous fortune(oops no not that one). Seriously,  I really can't make up my mind whether to defer or not as I'm a bit nervous about all the traffic in Newcastle.  It's a long time since I went there and never to the GNR. 

If I go, should I park the car at South Shields?  and if I do that will I be able to get out again? and what time should I get there to get back to the start in time?

Or should I catch the train to Newcastle? 

Can anyone give me any advice please?

16/09/2009 at 12:09

hi everyone

my last official contest on saturday morning .. a classic team's race (12 X 1)  into the caracalla athletic stadium . the first block of 78 started at 08:00 am and last at 07:00 pm .I  finished my session of 78 runners  (09:00-10:00) in position n.20 and 14K done.

Good run e nice day

16/09/2009 at 20:25

Katb - I'd start off in Newcastle city if I were you and then catch the metro back to the City Centre. I've never done the GNR, but I used to live up there and I know both the Great North Road near Gosforth where you start and the South Shields side will be chocca.  If a recall there is a metro stop in South Gosforth or even the one at West Jesmond which is a 5 - 10 min walk from the start.

Have fun if you do it.  BTW I found a picture on mr S's camera of you and me doing very bad aerobics at the warm up on Sunday  Luckily it's taken from a distanceso is not too incriminating.

No run for me tonight - whopping blister on the ball of my right foot  and then to hosptial tomorrow to have ALL my wisdom teeth out  - I have had a very stern lecture from the surgeon that I am not to run for at least 7 days afterwards .... do you think that means I can go out on my bike instead?  Anyway, to cheer myself up I have entered the Worksop HM at the end of October.... bugger I'm getting addicted to this lark

17/09/2009 at 12:39

MLR was 4.1 miles run as intervals.

After Sunday's "shot across the bows", I was wary of a long slow run in case my ITBS flared up ... and didn't see any point in a short slow run ... so I bit the bullet and went out for a hard session.

0.55 miles warm up 9 min.mile/ 135 bpm. Quick stretch, then

INTERVAL 1: 1 mile @ 6:46 min/mile 158 167 bpm (Average/Max). 1 min rest until HR below 115 bpm.

INTERVAL 2: 1 mile @ 7:04 min/mile 159/168 bpm. 1:20 rest until below 115 bpm.

INTERVAL 3: 1 mile @ 7:16 min/mile 155/164 bpm. 1:40 rest until below 115 bpm

and then 0.55 miles warm down (8:28 min/mile, 139 bpm).

17/09/2009 at 16:42

Shelscrape - OWWW!  Hope you're on the mend soon.  Blisters & hospital visit sounds nasty.

Did my "speed work" (I use the term losely) session this morning.  8 reps of 400m at 10k pace (2.30mins) & 200m recovery.  1/2 mile warm up & cool down.  Maintained a good steady pace and enjoyed it.  I'm looking to increase the pace (& possibly) reps in the future. 

I've said it before but the 100m markers over a 3 mile distance take the pressure off my shaky counting skills (I'm numerically challenged at the best of times & far from my best at 6am ).

Was dark when I left the house, but mostly due to cloud cover than it being so early.  The Prom was v.quiet as doggie walkers or cyclists heading to the ferry hadn't ventured out yet.  The temperature was cool & only a slight breeze, so perfect for my third speedwork outing & first attempt at 8 reps (have previously done 3 or 6 reps).  I was out for 50 mins.

All in all, a great week's effort.  My 1st run to 5 miles in about 3 years, a good hill & speedwork session.  Let's hope I can keep up the momentum. 

17/09/2009 at 17:17

Sounds painful Shelscrape (the foot and the teeth not the photo).

Re GNR, It's been suggested that I park up at the 12 mile mark at 7 am, then walk to the finish to get the metro back to the start.  Of course that means an extra 2 miles on my feet, but if it gets me out of the traffic I don't mind. Mr Katb is going as well and he might prefer to be in South Shields rather than the city centre(non-driver).  He's got less chance of getting lost. What do you think? good idea or not?

I got out the bumf they send so that I could send off a deferral and started to get excited about the race, so I'm going. I'm not expecting another PB over the distance but I'll try.

17/09/2009 at 21:11

Go for it Katb!

Down to club tonight and there were only 4 of us out for our final track session of the season.  We decided to have an easy night as we have a club handicap race on Sunday of 5.8 miles.  Started off with 3 laps of the track as a warm up before starting on a session where we jogged the bends and sprinted the straights.  We did this for 3 laps before having a 1 lap jog as recovery.  We then got in a line and the person at the back of the line had to sprint to the front and as soon as they got to the front the last person had to sprint to the front etc.  We did this for 3 laps before finishing off with 2 laps as a cool down.  A good short but fun session tonight which meant that I was home early enough to have a glass of wine to celebrate mine and Bobejaan's wedding anniversary.  21 years of happy married life! .  Hope you all have a good weekend and happy racing.

18/09/2009 at 09:49
Happy Anniversary Short Stop and Bobejaan
18/09/2009 at 18:18
ye, happy anniversary, SS & B for yesterday - hope it was full of jelly, cake & sparkling drinks

Big hello to Enrico - well done on your performance! Same message to the good Doctor, for whom no effort is too tough

Katb, you've had good advice and I'm pleased you're running - will look out for you on TV - very best of luck

Haven't caught up on MLR, so I'll post this morning's, with the reassurance that the streak continues
0630 Park, trails & path past Marina, then up beach to Crosby Baths and back to Waterloo by cycle track, footbridge & Victoria Park. Steadyish pace.

5.5 miles, 47:16, JogWatch: 1 HeronWatch: 1 pair

18/09/2009 at 20:48

5.37 miles 36:31.22 - 6:48 m/m

Club run tonight, after another couple of days of disinterest I made an effort to go out.

A decent enough run, not fast, not slow, good company,

Only 16 days until the SandstoneTrail. I can run but I just don't really want to, but I will need to make some kind of effort in the next two mweeksif I want to get round .

18/09/2009 at 22:41

Ugh.

15.6 miles 2 hours:24 minutes.

2 laps of a dull, dull, dull route - the 2nd lap in total darkness

What an absolutely pathetic run. Started off good - been quite looking forward to running 18 miles all day - knocked off the first lap of the route with no problems (even though I had a cumbersome bumbag strapped to me that was jiggling about like crazy and annoying the hell out of me) - ran back to house - gulped down Powerade and threw the bumbag in the door, then headed out again.

Forgot just how soul-destroying multi-lapping is. The further I ran, the darker it got - headed up the 'big long road' in my town (seems to drag on forever even though it only stretches about 3 miles) - only a motorway bridge for scenery and loads of gaps which I gazed into thinking gremlins were going to jump out at me. At one point, I was so bored I was actually wishing some kind of mad man appeared just for the company and entertainment value.

Ran back through town - feeling alright - not great - but not willing to give in the towel yet... past all the slags out on the pull.. past the greasy takeaway joints.. legged it across the junction by the roundabout so I didn't get ran over, then back up past the petrol station (fourth TIME I'd passed it now) - now was the decision - do I go left, down the tree-lined path, back up through town, then back down past the petrol station (to pass it a fifth bloody time) or do I go right and call it a night?

I tried to guesstimate what the mileage would be in my head if I cut the route short - I'd set out to do 18 miles, I knew I had only about 3/4 miles to go to complete it all, but there was just something inside me that really couldn't be bothered.

Maybe it was the running cold and lonely up that dark isolated road, thinking to myself why am I doing this? No one else is out.. at least when I run in the day and see other runners, exchange a nod, a wave, a glance, even a smug look from an elitist - at least it's some kind of communicative optimism - that I'm not the only one in the entire world who puts themselves through this sheer misery and lunacy of running 18 miles on a Friday night...

That was it. My mind has vetoed my body - my body, strangely enough, was feeling pretty freakin' fantastic - my shin was alright, my femur fine and my breathing hadn't acted up once to give me trouble.. but my heart just wasn't in it. Yes, I could have ran those extra 3/4 miles and completed the 18 mile route I'd set out to do - but what would I have achieved? I've ran distances further than that in races so I know I can do it, I wasn't going to receive a medal at the end of the night, and I was starting to think of myself as selfish that I'd left my OH at home waiting for me again as I was out 'enjoying' my running...

Going to take the night off tomorrow. Maybe I'll try an 18 miler again next week and my willpower will be stronger, or maybe I'll just take it easy then go mad at Abingdon. Blah. At least there's pizza in the oven.

Edited: 18/09/2009 at 22:45
19/09/2009 at 18:26

LOL Swittle.  I'll be the one with the red face. 

I'm sat in the hotel at the moment meeting lots of people doing the race tomorrow and the general concensus is to leave the cars here catch the metro to the start then at the end go over on the ferry to north shields to catch the metro from there back. Decisions, decisions.  Just been talking to Phil from Belper harriers if any of you know him.  Nice chap, we're going to head of down to the start with him tomorrow.

We drove down from Lanark this afternoon after a visit to my eldest daughter and intended to go and see hadrian's wall on the way.  Then we had a couldn't be bothered moment and carried on to newcastle.

DTD great blog.

Falcon or some such watch 1

Hadrian's wall watch 0. - how pathetic are we - it was only 21/2 miles from the road.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.