My Last Run

Post details of your last run and what you think of it

7,941 to 7,960 of 18,032 messages
22/09/2009 at 15:16

First run since I'm now officiallty healed. Out the dooer for the short route to work. Seemed a bit strange after nearly 5 weeks running in the dark but always puts me in a better mood. I did try and run one evening a couple of weeks ago but the time of day didn't suit me as my body wasn't properly fuelled and felt like I had "hit the wall" after 3 miles.

Have kept my eye on the thread while I've been benched so welcome to all the new people and well done to those compkleting their target races. Theres nothing like the feeling of finishing a big race after plenty of build up and the sense of acheivement is always great. 

3.5 miles in 25' 05" @ 7:10 mm

Jogwatch 0

YT: approx 760, MT 9.6 (including 6.1 attempt a couple of weeks ago)

Am currently reading "Born to Run" which is giving me plenty of new things to think about as I start to think about next years race season.

22/09/2009 at 16:22

"Born to Run" ... what a great book.  I was quite sad when I finished it as I wanted it to go on and on. Are you enjoying it Postie? And do you still wear trainers?  

A nippy run by the way ... especially for a "first run back".

Edited: 22/09/2009 at 16:23
22/09/2009 at 18:43

For anyone who hasn't done GNR here it is in 2 mins.  Whilst it doesnt seem all that hilly, just check out the gradient all the way along the route

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/tyne/hi/things_to_do/newsid_8192000/8192869.stm

ps where this shows going on the underpass, i went on the flyover so another hill.

Edited: 22/09/2009 at 18:44
22/09/2009 at 18:57

I have 2 runs to report, one to be taken more seriously than the other.

Sun 20Sept - annual chair carrying half mile. The family go to Goodwood revival meeting every year, and always sit in about the same place (top of the bank at madgewick corner, looking down the straight, between the TV camera and the marshall's post). in order to bags out favourite place, we're there before the gates open (that's 7:30 am - not a time that usually exists on a Sunday morning), with fold up chairs, picnic rugs, lots of cameras, umbrellas, coats, suntan lotion - you name it, we've got it. Any way, gates open, we pile in and the "youngsters" (includes me?!) set off with the chairs to get out pitch. So, half a mile at a slow trot carrying 2 fold up chairs, wearing hiking boots, 3 layers and a coat. Time not recorded...

Tonight, funny evening, overcast, strong breeze and humid. felt like it ought to rain hard, but hasn't. Back's been playing up, aching rather a lot (the run above didn't exactly help) so I wasn't sure whether to go or not, but decided that it might help loosen me up a bit. Same run as last week, 4.1 miles in 46mins 25. Works out as 11:19 min miles, so not too bad (for me) and a little faster than last time out. Back not feeling too bad and the bath's curently running, so a nice soak to follow..

22/09/2009 at 20:42

Wirral Multi-Terrain Series Race 4

Cherry Orchard, Arrowe Park.

4.48 miles - 28:27.17 - 6:21m/m

The last race in the series and since I missed the first two nothing to race for overall, but I was hoping to get one back on the girl from Liverpool and the lad from Penny lane who beat me last week.

Set off a lot harder than last week but settled down quite quickly. Entering the woods I had our top female runner just ahead and I soon passed her, then my sights were set on another club mate. I was gradually reeling him in but wasn't going to push too hard too soon.

As we exited the woods and crossed the football pitches everyone except me ran thru someones kick about and I even mid stride managed to kick their ball back. At this point I also passed Jon. From here on th there is a long drag and I was expecting to get passed by a few runners her, but wasn't.

I made up some more ground on other runners once over the crest of the hill and then we were on to lap two.

I was still running well and I think I made up a place or two in the woods, but on the climb I did lose two places, one of which I soon got back tho, I pushed hard to the finish and came in at 33rd place same as last week, but a fare bit down on my targets, I deffo think I made better progress than most on the particularly tough beach section last week. and just didn't have the speed for towards smoother course.

Good solid run tho, I'm happy

(Last years results as a comparison 31st in 27:25 - 6:07 m/m)
22/09/2009 at 20:49

22/09/09 - 6.9 miles - 54 mins: 22 seconds

Alright run, nothing special, then again, didn't have high hopes. Been feeling really lethargic today - didn't help that I was stuck inside freelancing. Realised that although the wind was fierce and autumnal-like outside, that it wasn't actually that cold. Realised also that my short-sleeved wicking top (over sports bra, under high-vis sleeveless shell) was making me very hot within 10 minutes so it was going to be a hot run grr.

Ran up the big long road, under the motorway bridge - passed what looked like the running club doing a speed session - get the feeling they look at me as if to say 'why aren't you running with us?' - just hope none of them recognise me as D2D..

Ran past the 'crime stoppers - did you see anything?' sign which made me think how fortunate I was to be alive. Decided to run/slide into some autumn leaves, then thought how stupid it was after I'd done it and that I was lucky to still be standing up! Still, the inner child in me couldn't resist..

Ran back up through town - thought it was peculiarly busy for a Tuesday night. Lots of swaggering folk about, looking like they were drunk. Passed an 'all you can eat' Chinese buffet sign which made me feel even more sick since I've been eating falafel and sun dried tomato on toast all day - plus the 'Taste the Difference' belgian chocolate cake that I got in the reduced section of Sainsbury's yesterday - oh deary me.

Didn't feel much at all on this run - certainly no runner's high - more like runner's heat in my 3 layers. The little bit of plastic on the end of my left lace also dug into my foot and bled throughout the run. I couldn't be bothered to get down and move it ('get down and move it' sounds suspciously dance-y) so just ran through the mild pain.. I've felt worse. I don't like my laces tied in bows and jangling out over my tongues though - it looks clown-like and makes me think I'm going to get them tangled in something and trip over. Paranoid, much?

Made it home in a normal time - still taking it easy, not really putting much effort in - just going the distance, racking up the miles in time for Abingdon. Will attempt an 18 miler again this Friday but won't beat myself up if I just manage 15 again..

OH and I are planning on going on an evening walk tonight to the midnight ice cream parlour in Oxford to get some yummy sorbet. I will have sorbet and he will have ice cream. That is generally how it goes. I'm going to wrap up snug - although it was warm and humid running this eve, I feel a chill is in the air now as the clock creeps further into the night..

22/09/2009 at 21:13

7.04m run in a circular route

wind in my face on the way out........and on my way back the wind had changed directions and was in my face again!!

It blew the cobwebs away

A easy/steady run in 1hr 6mins

22/09/2009 at 21:25
D2D get a 99 for me please - with raspberry sauce. yummy
Edited: 22/09/2009 at 21:25
22/09/2009 at 22:09

Wow some great reports on here as usual.  Tonight was back down to club and there was only 6 of us out.  Finally finished our track sessions and after Sunday's race we decided on having a nice gentle jog/run around the outskirts of Withernsea.  As we came onto the promenade the tide was in and the sea was so calm and gentle lapping against the rocks.  I love to run along the promenade and watch the sea as I'm running along.  I love living near the coast.  Finished off back at the lighthouse from where we started.  Out running for a total time of 47 mins and 43 secs tonight and that included running back to pick up one of the youngsters who was out with us and a bit slower than us.  We didn't want to leave him on his own as the nights are getting darker now and there are plenty of youths hanging about.  Not sure of distance tonight but enjoyed the run.

22/09/2009 at 22:09
Dr Dan the shoes may be edging binwards!
23/09/2009 at 09:21

Last night, 3 miles 19 mins dead.

Felt a little more spritely yesterday, thank God. Not been doing any speedwork so really need to get into some of that asap. Will do a long run tonight then have a little break before a tempo run Sat morning.

23/09/2009 at 09:33
Kat B - they don't do 99's I'm afraid! I had a passion fruit sorbet - but I hadn't looked at it in the freezer and when I got it, it had horrible little crunchy seeds in it
Edited: 23/09/2009 at 09:33
23/09/2009 at 13:15

Recovery run this morning, for both me and the dogs - first time i've been out with them for over three months, Labrador seems to be recovered completely from his shoulder injury and he was so pleased to get out for a run. I'm still feeling Sunday's long run a little bit in my quads, and have 10k race this weekend so needed just to loosen out the muscles. Nice crisp morning too which this time of year just brightens the spirits.

3.2m in 33 mins

23/09/2009 at 19:50

Just now,

nice pootling 5 miles, 1/2 mile downhill (steep) 4miles flat then the 1/2 uphill to finnish. Still steep!

To the pub and back (didnt stop for a drink)

23/09/2009 at 19:50

Warm & windy 1st thing as I headed out in the half light into Crosby and Blundellsands, picking up the prom & beach and running to the Coastguard Station.  Here I turned out of the wind and ran easily down Burbo Bank, past the baths and through Waterloo home.  Felt much better today, with few of the aches of yesterday.

5.1 miles, 43:01, JogWatch: 1

23/09/2009 at 20:59

23/09/09 : 9.87 miles : 1 hour : 29 minutes

Great run tonight. Took it nice and slow, no problems with breathing, leg which shin injury was on almost feels as light as the other now (i.e. not like dragging a lump of lead around).

Last thing I said to OH was 'woe betide anyone that mocks me tonight - I am literally in the mood to murder someone' - and I was. Really down at the moment, not sure why, force myself out the door to go running as I know I'll feel better when I get back. Sometimes I don't, this time I did though.

Didn't know whether I was in the mood to run 9.87 tonight and told OH I might just do 6.9 as usual but got to the roundabout where I decide whether to run home or carry on and decided to go for it.

Macy Gray carried me round the boring rough streets where I noticed a neon sign above a Chinese takeaway - apparently they do tattoos too (too much 'oo' in that for my liking). Ran past thinking I bet they use the same dyes in the tattoo ink as they do to colour their rank food. Then I thought bloody hell, I am quite possibly the most cynical person ever.

Was starting to feel fatigued around mile 8 but as soon as Metallica's Whiskey in the Jar came on, I had a sudden surge of much-needed energy. Ran sprightly along to that, swang round the lamp-post and saw some bald heads through a pub window and a dim bar light.

As Whiskey in the Jar trailed off, Nick Cave came on, and I was surprised at how uplifting I found him. You'd think 'so I go stumbling out of life, just to hide in death a while' would be pretty demotivating, but actually it was the reverse. Mercy Chair was a standout.

Looped back round then came back up the street where the bizarre petrol garage is. Not sure why they keep changing hands - it's clear the joint isn't going to work as a petrol station, else all the others before it wouldn't have failed. Oh well, needs must I guess.

Continued up through the dark, twig-laded street, past another pub pumping out greasy air through an extractor fan, past the give-way part where cars always speed to squeeze through just in time, then back home.

Just as I turned the corner to run into the close, Mozart's Pachabel Cannon in D came on and I realised that this song has been ingrained into my memory from when it was played to us in assembly at Primary School, before we sang hymns. Beautiful melody, beautiful time of year for running.

23/09/2009 at 21:24

Middle route to work this time. Had the streets pretty much to myself apart from the odd person heading towards the station for the early trains. Was wandering if my other early jogger from the summer was still around but was later than I used to be so may have just misse them.

5.15 miles in 37' 13" @ 7:13mm

Jogwatch 0 

YT: 766, MT: 15

Still thinking about footwear have been looking at both chi and pose running realising I would need a propper coach to learn either.

23/09/2009 at 22:28
23/09/09 - 5.86m
A steady but hard run out with the H&HRR's tonight. Thought I was going to go out with Jac' and new girl Mina but in the end it was to the top with three others. I kept on Daniel's tail until the Prince of Wales but along the Uxbridge road on the way back he left me. I struggled but kept going. Different way round tonight. Straight up to the top tonight then down the Uxbridge Road and along Lees Road, same distance different route.
24/09/2009 at 09:13

11.72m, last night.

I realised my next HM is in 2.5 weeks and I've only been doing 15-20 miles a week recently , with the odd exception. So decided to get in a long run in the lead up to it, averaged 7:40 miles which was a pretty firm pace for training, but showed my legs are still loosening up as I ran a fair negative split over the run despite the first half feeling harder. Really need to put some work in over the next 10 days to get things up to speed!

24/09/2009 at 09:54

0630 and I decided on a shorter outing round the park and over the grassy expanse to the dunes, dealing with a lively NW wind on the way.  Did some resistance work in the sand, then headed for home, stopping to say 'Good Morning' to the solitary heron standing sentry-like at the edge of the Marina.  I hope her/his mate is well.

4 miles, 34:15, JogWatch: 0

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.