My Last Run

Post details of your last run and what you think of it

7,941 to 7,960 of 17,725 messages
19/09/2009 at 18:49
Sounds a good plan, Katb - there are bound to be extra Metro trains on. Keep off your feet and hydrated, and grab an early night - always remembering to wind & set your alarm clock But you know all that anyway. We used to set off at 4am and get to S. Shields at 7.30am, where there'd always be just 1 or 2 parking specs about 600 yards from the finish. Toilet stop @ McDonald's, then Metro to the start. I quite fancy another pop at GNR...

Anyhooooo, 4pm Just a short run to bring up 40 miles for the week - park, footbridge, over to dunes & small lake and back via the minor roads. Warm!

2 miles, 18:00, JogWatch: 0
20/09/2009 at 13:31

had a bit of a rough week, friend of mine has been diagnosed with cancer so my running kind of went out the window. However, today's long run seemed a good time to clear my head and grab some space for myself so off i went.
Set off to do 12 miles, only 5 weeks now til Worksop half, but have the Clumber 10K next weekend so short week next week. First couple miles were ok, though the crappy food i've been eating this week was making me feel a bit rough. Got to 5 miles and really felt like it was all too much hard work, but then found myself thinking how hard is it to run 12 miles - fighting cancer is much harder. Felt like my friend was running beside me encouraging me, so picked myself up and carried on. Somehow found some strength and pushed up to 10 miles, was running strong and faster than usual by then, so thought i'd just add in an extra mile from somewhere and make this a practice half.

13.23 miles in 2.05.40

Splits 9.45, 9.39, 9.35, 9.30, 9.39, 9.31, 9.43, 9.27, 9.16, 9.11, 9.20, 9.26, 9.25, 2.15

Certainly helped clear my head, and tired me out - will sleep well tonight for sure. Over half an hour faster than the last time i ran a half marathon. I know this was a flattish run on my own on quiet roads, but it does make it possible that with more training that magic 2 hour barrier could be cracked. Just have to work out how to do it without being so angry with the world.

20/09/2009 at 18:21

Well run Hanna!

Well what a glorious September day we are having.  Today was another of our club 'handicap' races and the distance was 5.8 miles.  First runner went off at 11am and the rest of us at intervals from then on.  I set off 21 minutes after the first runner. The sun was shining brightly and there wasn't a breath of air at all.  I ended up finishing 5th today in a time of 45mins and 22 secs which meant my average pace was 7.45min/miles.  Not my best time for this distance but I did manage to overtake some of the runners who had set off before me.  Nice to be out with the club on such a lovely day.

20/09/2009 at 18:29

16/09/09 - 4.32m -    37'29
Hard to remember what I did so many days later (20/9). An OK run up to the roundabout but still slower than 16 minus's I clocked up before. The A4020 stretch somewhat slower than previous 10:30+'s. I rememer getting held up at the lights briefly so 6.10 to the library was not bad at all. Also a sub 3 from there to home is an OK finsih. That'll do.

20/09/2009 at 18:33
17/09/09 - 4.32m - 37'57
Again no real memory of what I did here. A sluugish first half up to the roundabout (17'33). Didn't pick up much along the A4020. OK down to the library (6'05) and an ok 2'53 to home.
20/09/2009 at 18:40

6.4 miles 1'19.

A bit slower than I'd like but I've not done much recently. Just glad I mage the distance, was hot too!

Nice flat run along the canal although I think it was National Don't Say Hello Day. I may have looked knacered but I could manage a hello unlike most of the walkers/cyclists who passed me. Oh well, you can't win 'em all!

20/09/2009 at 18:41

19/09/09 - 11.98m - 1'34'22
After a couple of small runs in the week I decided I had to rack up some miles. I felt really tired when I woke at 5am but decided I was going out anyway. Raced away and reached Bridge point 10'18, this was OK. the pedestrian lights next 9'47, this was a little better. The A40 10'01 was OK but pace was s,lowing, I should be under 10. Oxford point better with a nifty 9'20. Rockingham point just under 10 minutes at 9'58. the houses next were just under 9'50 and weirdly enough Robbie Bell Bridge was 9'50 also. A good run past the Hospital and up the Harington Road saw Nicholl's point click at 10'49. I had a brief stop over the A4020 then continued on to the library 11'30 and the final section was 2'54, at least under 3 for that!
Overall glad I ran the longer distance although I felt like crap really.

Jog Spotted - Only one!

20/09/2009 at 18:58
20/09/09 -    6.71m - 1'00'25
Well again I woke up much the same as yesterday. I went to bed early and woke an hour later. I also had to fit a run in before taking Billy to a bowling party for 10am. The original plan of the ritual 8+ was therefore curtailed and I had to settle for an hour. New route of just under 7 was the chosen distance. I felt realkly knackered again and o thought I would be like last week, I would feel great soon enough. Actually I felt tired and and had a bloated stomach, not a great feeling. Started off after my stretches reaching the library in 2'52. Halfway up Long Lane there was no extra zip, I was sluggish. Crossed at the far side of the lights and the chip shop in 5'57, faster this way than homeward bound unsurprisingly. i tried to open up going in to Uxbridge but I never happened, I got to the roundabout 11'04!
I got to the Park point 9'38 that was OK and I carried on over and down Swakeleys Road, reaching the ped lights 8'37. The next break was bridge point 10'36 OK as I was now feeling rough again. An inpromtu stop on the A40 slip corner and then home. A pretty poor run both physically and time wise but the addiction continues.
20/09/2009 at 19:31
3.45pm A glorious early Autumn day - blue skies, a gentle westerly and not as warm as for the GNRers. Throught Vic Park and up into Blundellsands, then off road through Sniggery Wood - love that name - through lovely Little Crosby and off road round the Wood Wall enclosing St Joseph's Hospice. Short stretch of main road through Thornton and back into Little Crosby, picking up the wide track of Dibb Lane. To the Coastguard Station & on the trail by the golf course, turning back on the coastal path, down the beach to Crosby Baths and home over the dunes & grass. I set off slowly and ran within myself, so I was rarely breathing hard

14.5 miles, 2:00:12, JogWatch: 4
20/09/2009 at 20:54

I've just got home after an arduous car journey back from GNR.  I'll blog my report and put a link in tomorrow.  Briefly - drove to Sth Shield and left car.  just caught the last bus back to the start. Toilet queue for about 3/4 hr then long walk to my pen. managed to high five Sting. Lots of fun on the way round but I'll put all that in my blog.  Weather fantastic red arrows superb as always. 2hr24 official time, but had a loo stop so I reckon 2hr 20 - 22. Verrry hilly but made it safely to the end and home. One more box ticked.

20/09/2009 at 20:57

20/09.09 - 9.87m - 1 hr 29 mins

Didn't start out with great hopes about my run tonight. OH and I have been arguing since the early hours of this morning so I've been exhausted and had zero energy/optimism today. Run started out alright - the clouds and beautiful autumn coloured trees probably helped - ran the first 6 miles or so nicely, at a fair pace.. .ran through town.. always like how bare it is on Sunday evenings.. almost like you can sense everyone is tucked up in bed setting their alarms for the morning.. back up the long road, then crossed over through all the trees... had my new flashy flashy red Crane Bike Aldi light clipped on me today and my tight HH top that I got in an outlet store - feeling gooood although also felt like my stomach was eating itself out of extreme hunger even though I slurped more than half of OHs banana milkshake earlier on and have been eating pain au choc for breakfast like it's going out of fashion..

shoved a jelly bean in my mouth and started chewing on the way up to Tesco where I swing round the lamp post and come back on myself... feeling bad about conflict between OH and I.. run back promising myself I'll give him a big hug and say sorry when I get in the door, but usual story when I get home - collapse on the door step, OH opens the door and gives me a pint glass of water/ice - I cried for a bit (bit of an emotional wreck at the moment) then got up and wrote down my time on my weekly log. 55.9 miles this week. Not too shabby.

Terrible week, want to forget it. 4 weeks 'til Abingdon - pretty sure I need to start tapering soon as I get the feeling I'm exhausting myself physically again. Took it easy last night - did bugger all which is a rarity for me - had a ginger bath and a slab of galaxy - sheer indulgence - did a quick spider check before getting in and then soaked until the water went cold... got to thinking how anyone could choose an ice bath over that..

Going to try and find an Ashtanga Yoga class for next week.. want to work on being able to breathe deeper, slower and more intense - also, want to be able to get my flexibility back on track so I can do the splits like when I used to do karate and get the muscles surrounding my femur feeling confident enough to stride out properly again instead of taking stumpy steps (good cadence-wise - nice 'n' high, but terribly boring when I want to stride out and speed off..)

Edited: 20/09/2009 at 21:01
20/09/2009 at 21:38

Nice runnign folks ... lookign forward to the full report katb!

MLR was a tempo run ... 5 miles in 41 min 02 sec @ 8:12 min/ pace. Ended up as a night run at 8:15 on A65 to Kirkstall Morrisons and back.

It was my 7 year-old's b'day party which I spent the day helping to prepare ... and then execute. Very noisey and exhausting ... our house is wrecked ... but good fun. Missed the Kirkstall Valley Trail as a result, so felt obliged to get out for a run afterwards despite being tired. Slight tachy attack (205 bpm spike which I felt) but otherwise a good run. Actually I did feel a bit yuk a couple of times due to drinking 2 glasses of wine and eating even more pizza + cake at 5pm ... but served me right.
20/09/2009 at 22:23

Well done Katb, D2D

This morning I went up to Gulden Sutton on my bike to watch the "Sutton 6" 10k race, came home and fell asleep, woke up and after a while decided to go for a run. Yesterday I did nothing again due to a raging case of CBA!

Set off and after about 20 meters I wanted to quit but didn't! This went on for 300+ meters, every 5-6 steps it was like someone was pulling me down and I'll be honest I was almost reduced to tears "why the f&*k can't I run!!!!!!"

Anyway I managed to push on thru this initial mental anguish and got to the A41, By the tiem I turned in ot Foxall way I was actually feeling quite good, both physically and mentally!  I ran to the end of the maze of cul-de-sacsand realised I'd missed my tunring, I sort of stopped to ask someone "how to get thru to Gorsthills School"  they gave me directions and as I ran down Berry Drive passed the school I noticed the school was no longer there!!

Along Wetheby Way I spotted a jogger and chased him down, but stayed on the opposite side of the road, Over Ledsham and round Hilcrest where I spotted a poster on a lampost for a fun run so I stopped to investigate that, but can't for the life of me remember where it was.

I went down Links Ave and turned on to a footpath towards the golf course, but nthis wasn't the path I thought it was and was forced to run about 300m offroad, under trees with no light.

Running up towards Overpool I was starting to lose interest and was about to turn right and head home when Graham drove passed beeped his horn and this gave me just the lift I needed and I went down Rossmore Rd East instead.  down to teh M/Way and along the service road then under the M/way around the Boat Museum and along the canal.  (1.8 miles - 7:10m/m)

Off the canal and thru Sainsburys and an odd loop round Cheshire Oaks with 500m splits (2.21.19 - 2.10.52 - 2.18.63 - 2.19.21) Up to the club and I got there at 1:24 with half a mile to get home I decided to go thru the groves to get a full 90 minutes.

12.41 miles - 1:30:49.12 - 7:19 m/m

More than happy with that considering the start was sooooo bad!

21/09/2009 at 10:38

Some good running going on here. I have just decided to enter Edinburgh Marathon, so am building up a longer road run once every 3 weeks on top of my other running which is all off road.

I have no choice but undulating countryside where I live for road running. So my next test was 14 miles yesterday on a pretty warm day, from Kirkby Malzeard through little villages like Galphay, Winksley, and Grantley. Mostly quite quiet roads, but from about 5.5 miles to 8.5 miles it is uphill, then downhill for 2 miles. My target was 8 min miles, so 1:52 and I did 1:49:41 so happy with that. No knee soreness this time afterwards so I must be adjusting. My plan is to do one every 3 weeks like this and add one mile to it each time so I have done 23 miles by the Marathon next year. I'll be happy to go under 4 hours for Edinburgh but if I keep this average up I might manage 3:30-3:45 which would be great.

21/09/2009 at 12:47

Hello Everyone,

Just been catching up on all the posts since Friday, sounds like a tough time has been had by some.  Chin up, guys.  Am sending lots of positive vibes.

Rather than my LSR, I switched my schedule & did my Hills route.  I'd overdone the wine on Saturday night, so thought it best to postpone my LSR rather than mess it up & add to my current stress/frustration levels which are peaking due to work hassles at the mo'.  I didn't get out until 1pm as I spent the morning re-hydrating & watching GNR.  Weather was scorchio & The Prom was busy, but awarded myself a Gold Star for effort & getting out.

Thoroughly enjoyed watching the GNR, I've added James Cracknell to my Eddie Izzard list of idols.  I got all sentimental for the 2 times I did it.  Then realised it was 2000 & 2001, which makes me................how old!  OMG   It's given me a boost to continue with my plan to run the Liverpool Half Marathon in 2011. 

Have a great week, all

21/09/2009 at 13:23

hi everyone

thank you swittle for your nice words. not only for me but you write for all runners..

my encouragement for your next great races .

good training for all

Enrico

21/09/2009 at 14:23
Lunchtime today with work colleague Dave - started out from the office in London E1 at 12:36 - run to Wapping and then St Katherine's Dock, Tower of London, Thames path to London bridge, HMS Belfast, Tower Bridge and back at 13:18 - good steady pace throughout dodging the myriads of tourists and other runners alongside the river - lovely day for a run and just about cooled down now.
21/09/2009 at 19:13
Our day at Tough & HILLY Great Langdale HM in 3:03

Sunday 20 the September saw us take on our 195th HM together, it was our 332nd race together in total

Only problem with it - ( if ever there was one ) is that it’s not flat or undulating , it’s not just a little hilly, in actual fact it’s HILLY as can be, and when there isn’t 1in 3 ascents to climb, there’s long drags, and short but steep climbs

There isn’t any flat bits, it’s either UP or DOWN, oh apart from the first mile, it’s sort of flattish

Oh we’d been there before and run it in the opposite direction, in 2:44 , 2:45, & 2:47 - but only this time I had still in my legs two marathons from two previous weeks, and before Phillip was younger and lighter and I was younger - not the old man I am now at 51

But it was a fabulas day - a day I wouldn’t have missed for anything - we prepared as normal, had a good chat and laugh with many people that we know, and met a few people that are new to us

We set off nice and quietly 10 minutes early, I was really looking forward to this event with a difference, we approached the mile and then came the ascent up the first HILL the 1in 3 , a tough little bugga, then came the main pack, even some of them were having trouble with it

We got to the top and moved on, down, up and down, it was so wonderful, so perfect, scenery just unbelievable.

I knew it would be tough and slow, but I was happy, we chatted and laughed on route with others, walkers cheered us on people in cars cheered - motor bikers and cyclists gave us a huge cheer on

I knew what it was all about, I had no fears at all, but I did know that come 9 miles I would tire after the marathons of the last two weeks
It hurt going down more that it did going up - one mistake going down holding 11 stone of wheelchair back and you can be in deep trouble,

The long drags were sapping, but my relaxed body and mind really helped me cope with that - but at the main road crossing at Skelwith bridge , came that steep little hill, and then the long drag until we turned left and went down to 10 miles, that drained me - I really had to dig in with everything

Then came the approach to Chapel Style were I just gently went through up the rise , the long drag, then saw 11 miles, up the drag out of the village, and moved quietly towards 12 miles and the finish-

Cars were approaching us, some were people who had finished the race, they all cheered us

We finished in real proud style in 3 HOURS and 3 MINUTES, but I wasn’t bothered about that - we had finished , we had proved we could still do it - if we can conquer Great Langdale still we can conquer anything

Now I know and have proved to myself once again that I still have plenty of running left in me,

We were told in 2003 when we ran it for the first time, that we’d NEVER get around it , strange ahh, 4 times now !!
I am just so chuffed about it I can tell you
21/09/2009 at 19:59

Same club run as last Monday, 5.46 miles but a minute slower 40:30.75 (7:25m/m) Felt full of running tho.

Well done mickandphil

Ciao Enrico

21/09/2009 at 20:55

Here's the link to my blog for GNR.  It's a bit long and I've rushed it, so apoligies if it doesn't quite read properly, I've not edited it yet.

http://plodder-flm2009.blogspot.com/

I was 25396th - there's something to be proud of

Edited: 21/09/2009 at 21:00
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.