My Last Run

Post details of your last run and what you think of it

7,961 to 7,980 of 18,478 messages
24/09/2009 at 14:55

Noon today.

It is lovely out there in Welwn Garden City in Herts, a bright, sunny, mild late summer/early autumn day with lots of leaves of different colours all over the place and conkers ripe for picking off the tree or the ground. Not even a gentle breeze to cool my sweaty brow.

I had the urge to do a variation of a work fav, the Sherrardspark wood loop. A five mile run in total from the business park up the hill, towards town and then through the woods for a mile. Avoiding the occasional dog walker and pram pusher, though in honesty not very many people out today along these paths (how strange) emerging by the Red lion pub with all the people in its garden enjoying the weather and a pint over their lunch (that's where they all are!!), before plunging back in amongst the trees, bushes and squirrels and heading downhill along the tracks to pop back out of the woods again by Digswell House.

No school children around today by the secondary school girl of the moment Alesha Dixon went to, so no weaving required to get back into the woods and down to the main road by our lovely railway viaduct. No BBC helicopter flying over filming for Top Gear or anything else today. A mile and a quarter up a slight incline beside the road, enjoying the fact that no cyclists are using the joint footpath/cyclepath, back to work and a well deserved stretch and cup of water out front on the lawn.

What a lovely day, and how I don't want to be in the office this afternoon! No other runners spotted, which is odd for a lunchtime. Perhaps they were all down the pub

24/09/2009 at 15:18
On the Eastern Express Highway in Mumbai running against the traffic and over a couple of flyovers to Kings Circle and back to Parel. Still awfully humid even at 6 in the morning. Surprised to see other runners on the street. Mumbai at that time with relatively little traffic is fun. Only did about 8.5 kms but was worth it. Tomorrow it is back to the Mahalakshmi race course.
24/09/2009 at 15:33

Cool stuff Bombay Duck

I remember wandering home from bars in Northern Thailand at 5am and seeing loads of joggers out around sunrise

24/09/2009 at 15:52

Best time to go sunrise.

Short route to work as I was late out the door which was just as well as my legs are feeling the increase in exercise. Day off work tomorrow so will see what happens.

3.52 miles in 26' 02" @ 7:24 mm

Jog watch 0

YT: 769, MT: 18

24/09/2009 at 15:59
I know sunrise is nice, but getting up at 4am or so
24/09/2009 at 16:09

Its all in the head Le Gav

Been getting up at the time for work for too long I don't know any different!

24/09/2009 at 17:32

Very quick one from me as i'm rushing to get back to work for open evening. 

5:30am 3.31 miles 32mins.  A6, Chorley old road then home.

catch up later.

x

24/09/2009 at 20:19
tempo run this evening, one mile warm up, 2 miles fast, one mile cool down. two middle miles at 8.58which pleased me no end, first time i've run more than one mile in a row under 9min. 4.09m in 37.42.
24/09/2009 at 20:50
Nicely done Hanna
24/09/2009 at 21:49
Another club session for me tonight and on the drive down I was feeling quite tired.  It had been a long day at work yesterday as I stayed behind for the open evening.  Just 6 of us out tonight and we started off with a gentle jog down to the housing estate that we use to run round now the darker nights are here.  After doing a half mile warm up lap we started on the main session.  Half mile rep followed by a quarter of a mile for recovery.  My first half mile time was 3.21 and thought I would be able to maintain that pace without too much trouble.  After the quarter mile recovery set off for another half mile rep and this time I came in at 3.12 and I thought I would struggle to keep that pace but the next two reps came in at 3.11 and finally 3.13.  Finished off the session with another half mile jog as a cool down before heading back to the light house where we started off from.  Enjoyed my session tonight despite feeling tired.
24/09/2009 at 22:52

24/09/09 4.32m - 37'05 REVERSE
Raced home from work need ing a fix of running. I was due down the Darjeeling at 7:30pm. Got home at about 6:15 and was outside by 25 to 7. Originally I was convinced I was only going to the top (2miles) but as I ran I knew my brother would be late. So I turned right at the lights and went off to Uxbridge. A nice pacey run, knowing I had to be back and it worked out quite nice.
It was actualy the journey home that fired me up, so many people out running, loads.
On my run I saw three but the power of out earlier was too much to ignore,making the most of the last evening sunlight.
the first section up to the chip shop was OK, I ran in the service road up to the exit on the bend where I decided to run along the pavement in the middle as there were cars coming along. I reached the bus stop 8'34. The run down the A4020 to Uxbridge was a good pace, passing a few runners early on. Reached the roundabout 10'35,pretty good. Up to the Gardeners was a huff n' a puff but down Honeycroft was time to open up.
Sweetcroft pavement seemed a lot rougher going the other waybut I felt slightly fluid along Ryefield. A nice run out and back in time to go out for a ruby. Yes big bruv was lte anyway. Glad I chose 4.

Jog Watch THREE

24/09/2009 at 23:37

Went out for my first post GNR run today, the calfs have been a little sore for the last couple of days!!!

Managed the GNR in PB of 1:36:15 so pretty chuffed with that.....

Tonight went for a brisk 4 miles, set out on my usual route and felt surprisingly good in the first 1.5 miles so thought I would push a bit harder and see if I could get in under 20 mins for the 5k (I've got a 10k race next week so getting some quicker pace under my belt is what I think I need)

Anyway, really pushed from 2.5 onwards and stopped the clock at 20:09 for the 3.1 miles so pretty pleased with that, but the 20 min barrier still eludes me  .  Finished the rest slower to recover and covered the 4 miles in 26:41.

Hoping for sub 45 mins for the 10k in two weeks, fingers crossed!!!

25/09/2009 at 10:07

Stunning morning here in Surrey.

Out for 10miles at 7am. Simply beautiful weather for running. Mostly boring pavement running. Trying to stick to 7 1/2 m/m and take it easy(ish) but tricky without a garmin etc... Came in at  72.02 so pretty happy all round. Feeling good.

Saw a Sparrowhawk which was nice.

Next Run = Sunday, Jog Watch 1

PS

ps - Set Off To Quick   I think you WILL get under 45min for the 10k good luck with it (you wont need luck though, adn well done on your PB).

25/09/2009 at 12:54

Been out with an injury (stress fracture) for the past 6-7 weeks now and only just getting back into running. I've just got back to my uni and a new running club has been set up by a few peope at my uni and although i havnt been out running in a long time, i felt as if i had almost fulled recovered from my injury.

Before going to the first training session i went out on a trial run and did an easy 4 miles and didnt feel too bad although it was quite depressing that i was getting tired towards the end when before my stress fracture i could do double that distance at a faster pace qute easily.

Went to the running clubs first training session and we were split into groups of beginners, intermedite and advanced. The intermediate group were only doing 4miles at a "fair" pace which i should have probably gone for as less is better than too much when getting back into running.

However a few friends of mine were in charge of the advanced group and said they were doing just over 7miles at a "decent" pace, i didnt really fancy it but went along with it anyway ssuming it wouldnt be too fast. Ended up passing the 10k mark in 42 minutes and finished the run in 50:55 which was pretty much as fast as i was running before my injury.

The last 10minute was really painful and the temptation of dropping out was very high, but with 3 other runners with me i wanted to push on and finish the race. Got to 2 streets away from the endand really lifted the pace and then got onto the final stretch and put in a sprint finish and we stopped. Then just as we walked around the corner, the rest of the runing club were stood waiting for us to get back, we had just done a 80m sprint but they were all cheering so we put in another best effort to cheers and applauds. Was absolutely spent but it was a great boost to have people cheering us on as in the past ive always run solo.

In hindsight it was far too much too soon, but i surprised myself and got around in one piece even if i feel rather achey today. Thin i might drop down to the intermediate group for a bit of a recovery run this weekend and step back up for another big run next week.

How ive missed the buzz you get after finishing a hard run, you cant beat it!

25/09/2009 at 13:57

I also missed the buzz of a long run Boyddie!

I was meant to do a 10k in battersea on Saturday, but I was late so decided to just do a training run instead.  Ended up doing a half marathon instead, which made me happy for the rest of the weekend!

25/09/2009 at 14:33

Day off work so having avoided all house work and revision and finished my book I headed out the door to revisit an old favourate that I haven't run for a year or so. It was good to run in the sun though I began to feel the heat towads the end. My pace was a bit erratic but reckon that this is due to lack of practice recently.

8.78 miles in 1h 03' 24" @ 7:13 mm

Jogwatch 4

YT:778, MT:27

25/09/2009 at 20:35

Club run tonight - Set off and felt full of beans as I haven't run since Tuesday, but I really wanted to be at the back and chasing people down, but the usual fast starters weren't down.

Picked it up a bit with Nicky when we hit the lanes. At the junction for the Chorlton loop 4 of us were going right but those behind were shouting "LEFT! LEFT! " But  3 of us we carried on right anyway.

Caught a few stragglers coming back towards the A5117. At the Audi roundabout Mike said he was dropping back and Paul had stopped to tie his shoe lace, so I was challenged with chasing down Roy and Gary before the Strawberry roundabout, which I just about did, but this left me struggling for the last 1/2 mile.

Not a bad run and probably the last lanes run the year as it was a bit too dark for my liking.

5.57 miles - 37:47.49 -   6:47m/m (a little faster than I thought)

25/09/2009 at 22:18

Some great posts ^ from far flung parts of the world; nearer to home, good to read of peeps coming back off the 'bench' - long may you all stay fit!

0620 on a grey, cloudy but warm morning with a decent NW breeze.  Stuck to the quiet roads of Crosby and Blundellsands, past the great mansions and Waterloo FC, before my almost daily fix of coastline and a peek at the Iron Men.

Tapering from tomorrow for the Sandstone Trail a week on Sunday - see you there, marsh

5.2 miles, 44:22, JogWatch: 0 

25/09/2009 at 22:40

Hi swittle, I've had a look at the weather for next week and it looks like it's going to stay dry, so the course should be quick, so it's a shame I never got around to doing any training. I'm secretly hoping to run 2:16:48,(8m/m) but even that might be asking too much.

26/09/2009 at 04:12
6.04 in the morning on a warm and sultry morning on the racecourse in Mumbai: still a beautiful place to run when the sea breezes come along from Haji Ali. Lots of people out and about and beginning to see some very familiar faces now/
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.