My Last Run

Post details of your last run and what you think of it

15,081 to 15,100 of 17,738 messages
19/03/2013 at 08:53

Robert Matheson - Well done sir!

Marc - Those photos are stunning.  Wish I could take pics like that...

Ashley - Those runners you see might make it look effortless but I assure you, it isn't.  What they will be doing is keeping good running form (basically how you move and hold your body), probably breathing mainly through their nose and running at a heart rate that means that they won't tire out easily.  Most experienced runners in training mode will be doing 70%+ of their training at this pace.  Effortless it certainly will not be, all forward propulsion requires effort but they are just very well practiced at making it look that way.  You can/will get there too, these people did not start out running that way either.  Stick at it, running becomes increasingly more rewarding with every week, month and year that passes, I promise

Groundhog day today, sunny but freezing cold.  Really tough 9 miles with 5x1000m VO2 max intervals in the last 5 miles. 

19/03/2013 at 11:18
Strangely Brown wrote (see)

Marc - Those photos are stunning.  Wish I could take pics like that... 

Thanks, and to all the others who commented, Taking nice pics is the easy part, being photographed running without looking like a chimp...thats the hard part haha, especially taking them of yourself with a wifi remote. 

19/03/2013 at 18:57

Cid- great to hear that Fudge is back out with you

Baldy- excellent time and PB mate.. now the Orion 15 this Saturday

Me- I've had a few days off cos of knackered shoulder (which is loads better now, and strapped up), then a cold.  So it was just a 4 miler in muddy beautiful Epping Forest for me today, which was lovely.  Nice to be back running again

Ashley- stick with it.  I had never even run for a bus until I was 35.  I absolutely loathed every minute of the first 5k I did- very slowly- but the moment I finished I wanted to sign up for my next one cos of the sense of achievement.  I'll never be the fastest runner, but I do have a genuine love for it now and can't see myself wanting to every NOT run- it's so much part of my life.

19/03/2013 at 20:58
Had to rest for a while with a niggle at the back of my ankle. It's being very stubborn to heal. Went out for 4.7miles in about 37mins. Ankle still sore. And I've hurt my shoulder so gym work is a bit limited as well.

And congratulations Ashley on getting out and taking a run. It takes time. Running can be very therapeutic and enjoyable, but it takes a while for strength, stamina and breathing to come together. Short distances regularly. Don't worry about speed. Ideally take it nice and slow and concentrate on gradually increasing the length of time or distance you can run. Personally I don't compete in any races. I run for the freedom it gives me to be able to get out and, well, think, not think, explore, and generally feel better.
19/03/2013 at 21:24

Welcome, Ashley - and welcome back, Fudge!

I play a guessing game each morning before I run: what part of my creaking anatomy will be playing up today?

Today, glutes on the right and knee niggle on left.  Bloody Streak!

5.2 miles round the Marina and up the beach, avoiding the ridges in the sand formed by the tide. Cool & fine & still

19/03/2013 at 21:47

9.76 miles tonight including 5 by 600m intervals.

19/03/2013 at 21:54
1km first run in VFF's
20/03/2013 at 09:19

To all new MLR'ers - good effort and welcome

SB - good session

Fancied an early one today as I have a day off work - 5.30am - 6km in the woods with a very energetic Fudge - I think the vet may have slipped him some performance enhancing drugs

cold start to the morning at daybreak - but we weren't the only ones out running

good running everyone

Edited: 20/03/2013 at 09:20
20/03/2013 at 13:46
Thankyou for all ur support and kind words. I am going to keep at it...
20/03/2013 at 14:19

reading half marathon - very cold very rainy very grey

a lot of people  - a lot

everyone huddled in the tents to keep warm - the people giving us warm ups as we lined up

the start - 6 mins to cross line - ok click watch...wow ..people are watching us..fair play to them...uh oh..need to get past this person - ok hop on path...

wait a second  - is that a HILL? ok eyes down just get on with it - over the hill - now down the hill - thats better - change the song..,and again...dont like that one..

into the town centre - lot more people - turn off music to hear the cheers-  now this is fantastic - time for a jelly baby

out other end of town - A road - no more supporters - feeling it now - oh look there's the stadium - almost there almost there

waittttt a second we are going away from the stadium  - not good - head down again

legs like stone - around the bend  - last bit -  more jelly babies for no real reason

into the stadium 1.59.20 - oh dear

knees up sprint -    - - - - -1.59.50 - delighted - brilliant -so happy - dont get sick  - sont get sick

might go out for a gentle one this evening

Running rocks

20/03/2013 at 21:24

5.5 club run this evening. Excellent run after a shite day at work. Felt strong

20/03/2013 at 21:36
Ashley, just stick with it. I can't promise that it'll get any easier. It won't. You'll just get faster and will run further than you ever thought possible. It just takes effort and the guts not to stop.

Nice report Fergalus. Well done. Hope you're proud of your time.

Lovely run tonight in the dying sunlight through the local country lanes. First 'after work' run this year. Ah, summers coming.

Did 10k in about 50 mins. I was running the course of a local charity run that's on this Saturday and almost got ran over by groups of runners running in the opposite direction. Think I was disturbing the marshall's run
20/03/2013 at 21:56
I ran 20 k yesterday in 2 hours. It was very hilly and I only meant to run 10 k but I actually got lost. Which was great fun and it was the most I've enjoyed a run in weeks!
20/03/2013 at 22:23

did the shorter club run of 11k at 5.30m/km as still recovering from Reading HM.

next outing will be the fearsome Orion 15, where I'll be aiming for 2hrs 15. famous last words, Nessie?

20/03/2013 at 22:31

Fergalus - I enjoyed the Reading summary - well done

Wed 9.00pm - felt like getting out again this evening - 8km (with 2 x 1km efforts in the middle)

In need of a bit of interval / speedwork to sharpen up - probable parkrun at the weekend

good effort everyone

20/03/2013 at 23:24

My running pal's in Russia, so I ran *her* route at 7am today: firm, sandy beach, past the Marina and over Brook Vale Rec & Chaffers - best run in a while and minimal nigglage

21/03/2013 at 08:43

Cid - Great to hear Fudge back and flying, must make you a happy runner

Fergalus - very amusing read, I nearly pukes after my last half mara too.  Wonder if how common that is?

More groundhogs today.  Glorious sun, freezing cold.  12 miles GA, a very nice, relaxed run.

21/03/2013 at 08:51

4M Tempo Run. A cold and frosty morning up here.

Sun shining now.

21/03/2013 at 20:31
Six miles plus strides tonight.
21/03/2013 at 21:02

@ baldie- it's good to have an ambitious target

15,081 to 15,100 of 17,738 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.