My Last Run

Post details of your last run and what you think of it

15,101 to 15,120 of 17,732 messages
21/03/2013 at 21:49

Thur 8.00pm - 6km woodland trail - easy pace - with Fudge in tow

enjoying making use of the country park and woodland which is on the doorstep - it means there are a variety of surfaces to run on - looking forward running on the grass a bit more when the weather warms up

push on everyone

22/03/2013 at 08:32

Morniig from a snow covered West of Scotland.

Snow - lots of thick flakes...

4M Steady. Okay run.

22/03/2013 at 09:49

cheers  Redjeep! Cidlad and Strangely Brown - I am waiting to sign up for next year - weather has to be better..

I think the sensation of nearly getting sick has to show you've given your all - i imagine a lot of people who came over the winning line were jubilant then headed over to the barriers of the playing field just in case!

22/03/2013 at 11:16

What a stinker.  Disgraceful weather.  Freezing cold, triumphantly ascertive winds and wet snow being pelted into my eyes with spiteful repetitiveness.

Was only a 5 mile recovery but possibly that worst run of the winter (well, it aint spring, is it?)

Vile.

22/03/2013 at 13:24

Couldn't agree more with SB... am loving the description of the weather as disgraceful and the winds as assertive  Down here in London there are a few snow drops floating around but the cold arctic wind is truly vile, especially down by the River Lea where there's no protection for miles whilst I ran by the reservoir.  The last few weeks of Friday long runs have been thus, although last week's was even worse with the wind accompanied by driving freezing rain and me with a cold, shivering and snotting...

Anyway, I just banked a 12.5 mile LSR, probably the longest one I'll fit in before my HM in two weeks, due to being away next weekend and then having the kids off school.  I was hoping for 14 but my running partner, who had done 5 miles before meeting me, had really knackered legs, so we cut it a bit short. All things considered I'm pretty pleased as I've done a fair few 12s now and have felt strong at the end, in spite of the above vileness of this endless Siberian spring.  

22/03/2013 at 16:02

Last night.

Set it aside for a very easy 1 hour training run.

Narrowly missed a train that would get me home for 7, ended up back at 7.30.

Wife grouchy as she was dying for her tea, but we'd already said we'd eat after I was done.

Also: massively disorganised. Nearly left the house with my shorts on back to front. Thighs still slightly sore from similar goings-on on Tuesday. Had been messing about with my phone playing some tower defence game all the way home, paying little mind to the fact that I needed it to have some kind of charge for me to log my run with MapMyRun. As it happened I had 13% battery left, so I figured it best to strap headphones on, but not play any music.

Immediately, I felt bloody awful. I'd had double chocolate chip cookies at work, which always make me fart what feels like volcanic ash. Nice though. Got to the 1 mile mark easy enough, but from miles 2-3 I was clinging on a bit.

But then I cheered up a bit because there were some bunnies playing on one of the verges I was running on.

Miles 4 and 5 were a breeze. 5.5 miles brought up the hour mark, which doesn't sound like much, but also wasn't intended to be. I felt good at the end of it, and it also meant I'd run over 5 miles twice within 2 days, which I've never done before. Thighs burning last night a bit, but fine this morning. I actually find running at the slow, joggy pace I was going at almost more difficult than my "normal" pace.

Plus, tea was nice. Some little Goodfellas pizza thing with chips, plus salad dressed with some nice balsamic dressing thing. Possibly Paul Newman related, I'd need to check.

22/03/2013 at 20:14

7am and a couple of inches of snow so wet it hadn't made its mind up whether it was slush.  Manageably cold out to the beach but, turning south into the teeth of a scythingly cold wind, I u-turned after 100 yards and reversed engines up to Burbo Bank and home via Crosby.  5 miles, slooow pace

22/03/2013 at 20:26
No snow here, but an evil bastard of a cold wind. Put my earmuffs and gloves on. Always have to take my gloves off after a mile or so as my hands get too hot. Ankle and shoulder improving. 7.5miles in 57mins. I wasn't aware of it but my pace tapered off from halfway. Haven't run much in 2 weeks so no surprise. Saw a cafe with a sign outside saying "all day breakfast (served until 1pm)".
22/03/2013 at 21:21

Five miles recovery on treadmill tonight.

23/03/2013 at 10:42

JT141 - good to see you back into it

Sat 9.00am - 2km warm up / 5km parkrun / 2km warm down

parkfun done in interesting conditions - freezing wind - snow/slush and very slippy - ran in trail shoes (vivos) as normal shoes wouldn't have cut the mustard - had been hoping for a pb but that is highly unlikely - felt like a decent effort - aim to work on some speed over the next few weeks

ivor - I'd lay off the cocolate chip cookies

good running weekend

23/03/2013 at 14:21
10 k race this am by the river in Richmond. Was on the towpath. Extremely muddy, sleet, high winds. Had a tumble but just a few grazes. Slow time of 39.41. I don't have trail shoes so wasa just in ordinary non grip trainers.
23/03/2013 at 14:46

11 miles along the canal, didnt matter which way it turned i seemed to be into a ferocious head wind. wasnt massively unpleasant but i could not seem to get any pace, i was a good 30 secs per mile off my usual.

23/03/2013 at 17:08

the Orion 15 in Epping Forest. 15 miles of hills, mud and snow in a superb atmosphere thanks to the camaredrie from fellow runners and marshalls (including possibly MLR's very own Nessie73). Very tough going until the "gully" at mile 12, which was actually a whopping great hill, then an easier 3miles to the finish and a cup of bubbly. Pleased to say that I didn't walk once and felt strong at the end - and this is the furthest I've ever run!

the time? 2.19.57 by my Garmin..but having sprinted for a sub 2.20, the Orion Harriers timekeepers seem to have made it 2.20.05...perhaps Nessie can sort this one out!

24/03/2013 at 11:28

6.3 miles barefoot in the snow, apart from the odd numb piggie it was really quite nice.

24/03/2013 at 12:08

18 miles, 14 at marathon pace into a freezing wind that has such icy ferocity to it made we want to weep like a child.  I actually don't even want to talk about it anymore. 

16 S words, 4 c words, 77 F words, 3 contemplations of suicide and 2 vows that i'll never lace up my running shoes again.

24/03/2013 at 12:52

20 mile club organised marathon training run this morning.  Did it at marathon pace - 6.42.  Felt good.

Impressed at the barefoot snow running.

Edited: 24/03/2013 at 12:53
24/03/2013 at 15:57

10 miles. Really struggling in this endless cold. Its very much hit my mood

24/03/2013 at 16:07

Strangely Brown - apart from that, did you enjoy the run?

yesterday's parkrun - 19.40 (pb 19.31) - given the conditions not displeased - sub 19 is the aim for now - will try do one parkrun a month as they are quite good fun

Sun 2.00pm - 18.8 km pavement pounding - easy pace but energy sapping - the wind had a bite which gnawed deep inside - tough but enjoyable

battle through everyone

Edited: 24/03/2013 at 16:49
24/03/2013 at 20:47

Baldie- nice one, that is an excellent time.  It looked like loads of fun and I'm quite jealous that I didn't do it, but with the cut-off that is impossible for the forseeable future..  I didn't marshall in the end as I'm drowning under a mountain of work this weekend and have been / am trying to plough through it. Couldn't spare the time.  Have you seen the great pics? http://www.flickr.com/photos/orionflickr/sets/72157633066189135/

'Fraid the timekeepers are a law unto themselves... that is gutting that you made it just under 2.20 and they made it just over...

I will be doing the 5 mile series over the summer, so maybe catch you then

Marc- also in awe of barefoot in snow!

Me- short of time, as above, so all I could fit in today was 30 mins of really decent quality intervals.  I really pushed myself for the sprints though so I feel like I've actually done something..

25/03/2013 at 07:48
cidlad wrote (see)

Strangely Brown - apart from that, did you enjoy the run?

Still cold, still windy but nothing like as bitter as yesterday.  Little 4m recovery run squeezed in, the dog saw about a mile of it.

Edited: 25/03/2013 at 07:49
15,101 to 15,120 of 17,732 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.