My Last Run

Post details of your last run and what you think of it

15,201 to 15,220 of 17,754 messages
06/04/2013 at 16:49

Park run this morning, 18 40 time.  Did it in shorts and vest which was a mistake, legs were cold for the firts mile after which hands frooze.

06/04/2013 at 21:49

Broke in my Mizuno Wave Harriers tonight with a couple of miles round the coastal park.  Seem fine.

Off rd HM, Baildon Boundary Way nr Bradford tomorrow.  Hopelessly undertrained...

07/04/2013 at 08:49

Well, after struggling like billy-o in the high winds on Wednesday and Thursday last week - when my usual 6 mile route felt more like 12 - I got out yesterday (Saturday) and made the most of the adorable sunshine.

Infact, it felt so good I decided to have a foray into speed intervals, something I've never done before.  Wow!  What a wake-up call!

I'm pretty sure what I did was somewhat gentle compared to the more experienced runners on here, but it was really good fun to try something different, add a bit of variety to my run, and feel thoroughly worked out when I got home.

Infact I completed my run in a shorter time than usual, so decided to tack on a bit extra at the end just to make it up to an hour.  And I reckon I would have stayed out even longer had I not needed to - ahem - answer the call of nature!!

07/04/2013 at 09:25
18 miles along a stretch of my local canal that I'd never ran along before. Done at a fairly steady pace it took me 2hrs 45mins, which I was a bit disappointed with initially, but my mental arithmetic reckons that this should put me on track for my target 3hrs 45min for my first marathon (4 weeks today. Gulp).

For 6 miles of the run the towpath was soft earth that had been torn up by tractor tyres, leaving it covered in 4 inch deep zigzags. It was the worst surface to run on that I've ever come across. Much more unstable than regular soft mud, and I was worried about twisting my ankle again, having only just recovered from the last time.
07/04/2013 at 10:14

waycat - onwards and upwards

Nessie - the brooks are an interesting ride - very comfortable and no sign of blisters when sockless (which is unusual for me) - having to concentrate on foot position which is part of the transition - no negatives at present

Sun 7.30am - cold bright morning for an easy 15km (72 min) - good to be out on the quiet country roads with nothing but the sound of birds and some distant far-off traffic

good positive feel to the thread  - run strong

07/04/2013 at 12:48

17 mile long run this morning.  First week of taper done.

07/04/2013 at 15:34

Paddock Wood Half Marathon in Kent. Ideal conditions and a lovely course - mostly flat and rural.

Managed 1.40.27 - a PB by two and a half minutes. Gave it everything to try to get under 1.40 but the railway bridges in the last few k knocked the stuffing out of me!

07/04/2013 at 17:09

Waltham Forest Half Marathon for me today.  It was really enjoyable and agree with Baldie about the fantastic conditions.  I am really really disappointed with my time and I made a fatal error by running the whole race with my friend who's been training with me for her first HM.  it's my 5th and I got one of my worse HM times at around 2.20, in spite of great conditions, losing over a stone, and good training.  I should have got around 2.10 or just over judging by training.  I've never raced with anyone before and I think we just ran far too easy, chatting and having a laugh like we have been whilst training.  I lost sight of the fact it was a race...  

07/04/2013 at 18:16

can understand your disappointment, Nessie, but as you have realised, doing a good time and having a nice run with your mate just aren't compatible.. i'd say you shoud sign up for another HM asap and do it by yourself -- there's one in Stratford next weekend for example -- you've been doing some great training and I think you might even surprise yourself with something closer to 2 hours dead...the fitness gains are still there so treat today as a very useful - and enjoyable! - LSR.

07/04/2013 at 18:18
Edited: 07/04/2013 at 18:20
07/04/2013 at 19:37
Sandy 10 this morning. My first 10 mile run of any kind (furthest before today were two 8 mile training runs), and it was an absolute hoot.

I've been training averaging around the 11 minute mile mark, but I kicked on today to average just over 10 minutes a mile, and although the extra distance told at the end, I managed some kind of kick to bump me up a dozen or so places, and my last mile ended up as my fastest by over 50 seconds.

Glorious weather as well. Was forecast around 7 degrees, but by halfway the sun was blazing and suddenly the gloves and long sleeves felt ridiculously unnecessary.

Before today I was thinking in terms of just getting round in anything sub-1hr 50, then aiming for 1hr 40 next time. Now I'm looking at the 1hr 30 mark, which I'd have been well on course for if my last 3 miles had been reflected throughout.

Tons of fun, and a credit to Biggleswade AC.
07/04/2013 at 20:30

Thanks Baldie.. I was thinking along the same lines myself and having a look at St Albans Half on 9th June, with a view to really trying to focus on times (and running my own race!).  That would also give me a couple of months to make sure I'm consistently fitting in a session a week of speed work, rather than the piece meal way I've been doing it up until now... 

08/04/2013 at 07:18

Morning you lot

Cold one up here today

A hill session done off road. 6 x Hills. Mile warm Up/Down

Some cracking training going on.

08/04/2013 at 08:19

Baldie - Brilliant result, you nailed that PB and then some, very well done.  Sounded like a great race all round.

Ivor - Excellent stuff, glad you had fun

Nessie - Damn, that's a real bummer but really, there's not much wrong with racing for the fun of it rather than to smash a PB every time but of course, you need to have that expectation before you set off.  Definitely get another one done to get over the frustration!  Luckily, all my friends are lazy feckers who don't run so I don't share you trouble

For me, first day of taper was 8 miles with 5x 600m 5k pace repeats.  Hardly an easy session.

08/04/2013 at 15:24

Mon 2.00pm - 10km off road mixed terrain with Fudge

cooling breeze and hazy sunshine made for an enjoyable run - met a couple of runners who also had their dogs out for a run - One of them is in the process of setting up a local 'cani-cross' club - for runners with dogs - apparently it is popular in Europe and in the south of England but there is very little going on in the north - not yet anyway

ivor - well done

hoping all the marathoners are staying injury free

Edited: 08/04/2013 at 15:25
08/04/2013 at 15:27

Baldy - great PB

SB - welcome to the lovely land of Taper!

Sat - gentle 3 miles / Sun - 10 miles at race pace.

Chin chin,

D

09/04/2013 at 01:18

Hello, all.  

By managing not to die, I finished the off-road Baildon Boundary Way HM last Sunday in 2:17.  10 years ago, I managed 1:41   God's Own County looked glorious: an early chill, no wind and gently veiled sunshine.  Paths, trails, fell, canal tow path, a little road, moorland, and the gallops where Aurora Encore trains under Sue & Harvey Smith!   At the finish, piping hot showers, bacon butties & ice-cold Coca Cola!

Of course, I'm a little the worse for wear today but well worth it!

09/04/2013 at 09:51

Morning,

Swittle - that run sounds lovely, glad the injury didn't stop you!

12 x 200m @ 5k pace with 1 min jog recoveries and a miles warm up and cool down. Wearing in some new trainers ahead of Sunday and today was the first day they felt perfect. Getting excited and scared now!

Keep up the good work all,

D

09/04/2013 at 10:55

Nice one Baldie (stunning time...) and Swittle (in awe as ever of the hardcore!)

09/04/2013 at 12:09

Dunky - be really careful with new shoes shortly before a marathon, mate...can be recipe for disaster...they've got to be worn in...

15,201 to 15,220 of 17,754 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.