My road to Rio

Here goes...

21 to 40 of 235 messages
13/08/2012 at 13:21

Mike, did you start smoking crack recently or is it a long term thing?

13/08/2012 at 13:21

Po10 says Vero has a  PB of 2.57.  He did dip under 17 for 5k at Bushy Park after a couple of years' training, but if you compare that with what a world class runner such as Mottram or Baddeley achieved there the gulf between Vero and world class becomes clear...

Mike: I hope you achieve your potential, whatever that may be.  Although there's nothing wrong with aiming high, it's impossible to have any idea about where you might end up.  Let's face it, you may not be able to cope with the volume or intensity of training required (I've been running for 11 years and have discovered the hard way that my natural limit is about 70mpw).  I think you need to set yourself some short-term achieveable goals (3 months, 6 months, 12 months) and join a club with a decent beginner's section so that you can get advice and assistance along the way.

13/08/2012 at 13:30
I have an inkling that he did better than 2.57. More like sub 2.30 or something. I can't find anything. Does anyone else remeber what he managed or am I just going crazy?
WiB
13/08/2012 at 13:32

I have been told 2:57 by someone who went to a talk that he was giving. Was a fair while back so he could well ahve gone faster. Apparently 1:13 for HM so I think he should have gone faster than 2:57.

WiB
13/08/2012 at 13:35
I read that he did 1 hr 7mins for a half somewhere. I know he overcooked a marathon and had to walk to a "dissappointing" 2.57 but I thought there was a footnote at the end of the doc where he ran a quicker time.
13/08/2012 at 13:52

Sussex, i think you're well off on Vero!

2:20 was his frankly ridiculous aim, 2:57 the reality. In fairness it seems to be that he unfortunately got sun stroke near the end of that 2:57, and took 28mins for the last 2miles, when a sub 2hr45 was on the cards.

1hr 13 for a half was his best time on record, and if you took the story of fat bloke to 1hr 13 half /sub 2hr 45 marathon that's an incredible result.

However, when you pitch it at 2:20, most runners sneer at the effort, as it was so overblown and he got nowhere near it. I certainly remember a fair few running elite on this forum giving him stick.

In the same way, Mike gunning for gold medals will simply be treated with ridicule, hence this thread racking up the posts....if instead he had a training thread to attract the tips of the better runners on here, he'd get praise and encouragement galore along the way...

nothing annoys more than johnny come latelys thinking they can smash the results you've strived for years for on the cheap

Edited: 13/08/2012 at 13:53
13/08/2012 at 14:00
+1 for what Stevie said in his 2nd to last paragraph.

Mike - I think ambition is fabulous, and having the confidence to not let yourself be fettered by conventional thinking is also admirable. However, you may have gone a bit too far?....

Step 1 has to be to get yourself into a decent club, join one of their coaching groups, and (hopefully) that will help you to realise that the journey ahead of you is a very, VERY, long one, and that there simply aren't any short cuts (irrespective of how much natural talent you may have)....
Edited: 13/08/2012 at 14:01
13/08/2012 at 14:17

I wouldn't shout too loudly about the "fat bastard to fit runner" story until a former 16 stone bloater at least managed to run under 73 minutes for a half marathon.

13/08/2012 at 15:36

Concentrate on getting to a standard where you might be invited to the Olympic Trials. Then worry about running fast enough to get the 'A Standard' required to get selected. Then worry about Olympic finals and medals. If you achieve even  the first of those things then that would be very very impressive, considering that I don't think that you are even running the equivalent of a 3000m English Schools standard at the moment. Never say never, and you will never know if you don't try, but it's best to take it in stages and concentrate on being the best that you can be.

Edited: 13/08/2012 at 15:37
13/08/2012 at 15:57

Dancing...i think you're missing about 50steps out on the journey.

The first couple of steps are getting a regular decent mileage built up and then joining a proper athletics club...

WiB
13/08/2012 at 16:04

Is this all because they sold out of TeamGB vests? Be honest!

WiB
13/08/2012 at 16:13

Good luck to you Mike.  If you believe you can do it and you back up your words with commitment, then I wouldn't bet against you.  

13/08/2012 at 16:31

Mike, I'll see you in Rio.  I'll be performing a selection of my massive international hits at the opening ceremony.  I haven't written them yet, but I've still got 4 years.

13/08/2012 at 16:45

I hope you do not get too disapointed.

13/08/2012 at 17:15
Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
I have an inkling that he did better than 2.57. More like sub 2.30 or something. I can't find anything. Does anyone else remeber what he managed or am I just going crazy?

I think Vero had to run a sun 2h30 to prove he was on target to achieve his goals, and this would unlock some sponsorship/ funding. He was running out of time and had one last opportunity to do so, which was something like the Malaga Marathon (not 100% sure). He had an achilles problem going into the race, managed to stay on 2h30 pace for quite a while then broke to pieces in the end.

Vero called this an extreme near miss and i call it a typical pattern of failure for someone over-reaching.

How does this relate to you Mike? Well, as on a previous thread, you showed no grasp of the magnitude of the goals you set out before you (and as Stevie G is politely putting), you are flaunting in front of us who will never achieve such goals. If you could comprehend the size of the task and show some ability to break it down into meaningful chunks, a large group of people would applaud you.

When I listen to you, I am hearing the tune "I believe I can fly". To the best of my knowledge, R Kelly was not referring to his frequent flyer/ credit card combination effectiveness, and neither has he been able to take off under his own power (unless my news websites are hiding something from me).

Have you spoken to a coach yet? Have you checked out the facilities and record of the 5 nearest athletics clubs to your home? Have you told the manager of your football team that you are jacking it in to focus wholeheartedly on your obsession of gold in Rio (and chucked in your GF too)? Dreams are good, but without execution, they are just pleasant unreality.

13/08/2012 at 17:56

not sure why anyone would be offended by Mikes goals way regardless of how stretched they are.

Mike you have a good attitude but this will be eroded very quickly when the improver bubble bursts. Go to a club and get some structure.  A good attitude and a structured training and you will help you reach your potential.  it might end a nudge under olympic glory but as long as you peak who cares where that line is drawn

if i said i wanted to play for Man utd next yr but i hadnt played for any team yet but i looked handy in kickabouts in the garden what would you advice be for me to achieve this goal?

13/08/2012 at 18:54
I don't know if he has a good attitude or maybe just a strange sense of humour. I tend not to take his claims any more seriously than some kid in the park wanting to be the next Wayne Rooney. Good luck to Mike and good luck to the kid in the park too!!
13/08/2012 at 18:59
Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)
Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)

I think Vero had to run a sun 2h30 to prove he was on target to achieve his goals, and this would unlock some sponsorship/ funding. He was running out of time and had one last opportunity to do so, which was something like the Malaga Marathon (not 100% sure). He had an achilles problem going into the race, managed to stay on 2h30 pace for quite a while then broke to pieces in the end.

I find it quite interesting how inflated people's memories are of the whole Vero story...

He had to break 2:45 to get an extra year's funding, was on for doing so, but did the last 2miles in 28mins to come in 2:57.

He did a 1hr 13 half at peak...to say he was on target to ever break 2:30 is astonishingly wrong, and impossible.

Edited: 13/08/2012 at 18:59
13/08/2012 at 19:19

Thanks for all the support so far!

My current 5k pb is 18:43 

My short-term goals are:

Christmas - 17:30-17:45

8 months(March/April) - sub 17

12 months - 16:00-16:30 - this time can compete at county meets, right? 

I watched that Vero documentary and found it very interesting, I find it very inspiring that an overweight adult can turn their life around or whatever through exercise if they put their mind to it, and still achieve a pretty high standard. If he started when he was overweight and older, why can't I?

Also, I want to join an athletics club, just waiting for the money, hopefully will be joining Bolton United Harriers AC soon. 

PS. Im contemplating running the greater manchester marathon in april 2013, although I have a fair bit to go, furthest ive ever ran is 13 miles but that was training. 

13/08/2012 at 19:31

Mike: in all seriousness, if you want to succeed as a runner, don't do a marathon in your first few years.  Build up a decent aerobic base (lots of steady running) and improve your 3k/5k/10k times before moving up the distances.  Yes, lots of adult beginners jump up to the marathon quickly, but that's because (in general terms) we're running for fun, not to reach our absolute peak.

21 to 40 of 235 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.