My road to Rio

Here goes...

41 to 60 of 235 messages
13/08/2012 at 19:36

Ok, how about a half marathon then? I think I could tackle the great north run and do pretty well in it. 

13/08/2012 at 20:13
Stevie G - the extra years funding was the required finance to produce the documentary rather than to fund his running training.

Mike, in twelve months time you're planning on running 16:00-16:30, that's equivalent to 10k in 34mins which only leaves you three more years to reduce that to 27:30. I think you're cutting it a bit fine, don't you? Oh and by the way, Mo Farah ran 13:56 for 10k at age 18....were you planning to go for golds in both events or just concentrate on the 5000m?

I'm trying not to be unpleasant about this, so apologies for the tone, but if there's one thing that really gets on my tits it's sad ex-factor types who come on RW, making ridiculous statements about what their going to achieve, without the slightest knowledge of what that entails and stupidly believing that simply wanting it more than anyone else will be enough to get you through. If nothing else, it's disrespectful to those who do understand the magnitude of the task and who quietly work away systematically and diligently to achieve there best potential.

There's a great line in the movie Working Girl that sums it up..."Just because I dance around in the kitchen in my underwear, it doesn't make me Madonna.....never will"
13/08/2012 at 20:32
Nick. Please tell me you're not comparing Mo Farah of 4 years ago to Mike Rushton 18.xx 5k of 2012. Or is my irony detector malfunctioning again?
13/08/2012 at 20:54
Nick - you're dead right.

It is easy for everyone else to resort to ridicule...... especially when the proposition is so patently ridiculous itself.
13/08/2012 at 20:55

Nick, you've had your fun having a laugh along at Mike's expense now, so probably time to drop this faux support now eh?  (your mail to another forumite saying you think Mike is trolling was a slight clue )

Mike's young and keen, which is to be applauded, but the ambition-ometer severely needs to be re-aligned to "realistic".

As for Mo...as I'm sure you're aware, he was already an elite athlete 4 years ago.  He is actually African himself, trains under the best coach in the world, outside the British system, and has spells in Kenya training at high altitude...

Just a few factors in what it takes to become world class.

13/08/2012 at 20:56
Tom. wrote (see)
Stevie G - the extra years funding was the required finance to produce the documentary rather than to fund his running training. 

ps right you are squire...i worded it badly...

13/08/2012 at 21:03

I may be wrong, but I would have thought if he had any talent he would be running a lot quicker than he is now - also having trained in an earlier life with 800/1500 metre runners who had moved up - he needs to be concentrating on shorter distances to develop speed. Sometimes posts and threads on here bring Charlie Speddings book to mind, (I am sure many have read it) and following his 84 Olympic bronze medal, he used to conduct marathon seminars and the question always seemed to arise what can I eat to make me quicker - always looking for a magic forumla - no one seemed interested in the 16 years hard progressive training he had done. Someone actually asked Mo Farrah what he ate for breakfast that makes hi fast - if only it was that easy.

That said who knows, a little ge may have been unearthed here - but rest assured he will be up against me - I will only be 56 then and I am sure if I train hard enough and take whatever that Belarussian shot putter took!

13/08/2012 at 21:24
Mike - You could have come on here saying you were inspired by Mo's performance and felt like you wanted to give running a shot. Maybe asking some for advice rather than stating it's going to take you 4 years to get under 13min 5k and win double gold without having a real clue what a long road it is. You probably lost most people's respect on here with those bold claims as if it was your destiny. Mo did not drink some magic potion and as said before he was already sub 14 at your age.
I have seen some quite remarkable improvements from some on RW knocking considerable time off their marathon times in 3/4 years but it gets harder the quicker you get. You may find that your initial target from 18high to 17:30 is achievable in 6 months but be prepared for a plateaue.
13/08/2012 at 22:50

Massive WUM.

Shame on the majority of you for not seeing him for what he is.

13/08/2012 at 22:51

Wow this topic has made such a stir in only a day, thanks for all your replies. 

I know there's only a very slim chance I will even make the olympic team, I stated that I hope to make it, and am determined to try my best because I was inspired by Mo's performance, theres other factors to consider to, injures, surrounded by the right people etc. 

Im sorry if I offended anyone, I understand everyone here is a keen runner just like me and have worked hard for most of your lives to achieve your targets, I just hope I can achieve mine, no matter how 'unrealistic' they may be, I will do everything in my power to achieve it.

Have a good nights sleep everyone! 

13/08/2012 at 23:00
Good night Mike, sweet dreams!
13/08/2012 at 23:16

There's far worse things you could be trying to achieve at 18.

14/08/2012 at 08:31
Little Ninja wrote (see)

There's far worse things you could be trying to achieve at 18.

Than trying to become the internets finest troll?

14/08/2012 at 08:49
I genuinely don't know what a WUM is. Massive or otherwise. I suspect probably like Gareth that the OP is just having a slightly demented laugh. I think most people have responded reasonably and one person got all fake protective. I think that person deserves the tag of troll or WUM or whatever term you people use rather than Mike.
14/08/2012 at 08:50
ahhhhhhhhh. Wind up Merchant!! Yes he probably is
14/08/2012 at 09:05

WUMs don't generally go public with their race results and real name.

They tend to talk about what they've done in training, yet never prove it in races.

Justy strikes me as a naive dreamer. Which isn't the worst crime!

14/08/2012 at 09:15

I dont think its mad to have a totally unrealistic, far off goal to aim at. Its the perfect motivation for when you really cant be bothered to go out and train. However, you do need to offset that with some one or two season acheivable goals.

We discussed something similar at the very early stages of the middle ground thread.

I've always thought of it like this:

Dream big, but plan smart

By that I mean break down your dreams in manageable pieces and re-evalutate them often.

Mike I applaud your crazy dreams (I have some crazy ones myself), but you do really need to get a handle on the short term targets because right now they look unrealistic. As others have said a club or a coach will help you do that.

Keep chipping again - you'll get fit having a go as PRF likes to say

14/08/2012 at 09:18

MR - If Rio is the goal you've picked the most impossible sport for someone like yourself.

14/08/2012 at 11:46

You got no chance Paula Radcliffe was running 5k in 16:16 at your age.

14/08/2012 at 15:01
Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)

Such encouragement!! and Paula's Olympic career is not really much to aim for is it.

Representing GB in an Olympic Games is an incredibly ambitious aim, requiring a huge degree of self determination and natural talent. It just goes to show that even for world record holders and former world champions, there are no certainties in life.

Lets hope that between now and the selection process for Rio, Nick can suggest a plan to take a 20 mile pw runner to meeting the selection times for both 5k and 10k - perhaps coming up with 'A' standard times in Beijing 2015? Go on Nick, help the guy out with some proper mentoring.

41 to 60 of 235 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.