My road to Rio

Here goes...

61 to 80 of 243 messages
14/08/2012 at 09:18

MR - If Rio is the goal you've picked the most impossible sport for someone like yourself.

14/08/2012 at 11:46

You got no chance Paula Radcliffe was running 5k in 16:16 at your age.

14/08/2012 at 14:41

Such encouragement!! and Paula's Olympic career is not really much to aim for is it.

14/08/2012 at 15:01
Nick Windsor 4 wrote (see)

Such encouragement!! and Paula's Olympic career is not really much to aim for is it.

Representing GB in an Olympic Games is an incredibly ambitious aim, requiring a huge degree of self determination and natural talent. It just goes to show that even for world record holders and former world champions, there are no certainties in life.

Lets hope that between now and the selection process for Rio, Nick can suggest a plan to take a 20 mile pw runner to meeting the selection times for both 5k and 10k - perhaps coming up with 'A' standard times in Beijing 2015? Go on Nick, help the guy out with some proper mentoring.

14/08/2012 at 15:34

Mike I think one thing is clear, you have some ability and I hope you find the encouragement you deserve, don't be just an also ran

14/08/2012 at 16:03

Maybe you didn't count me as a faux also-ran - a bit like faux encouragement is your theme of the day

14/08/2012 at 17:01
Wow Mike R thats some aspiration you have there, I mean its the pinnacle of the sport, thats serious stuff. I see there has been several comments about your 5k times and the whole Alex Vero thing but at the moment what would a typical training week look like for you? Also when you say your voing to be dedicated does this mean you'll cut out Alchahol and stuff.
14/08/2012 at 17:23

Andy, don't make any mistake about Mike's giving himself totally and utterly over to this crazy dream to be number one in Rio. Sometimes he's already running like 20 miles per week.

I love a dream... a mad goal to spur me on... It's just that if it ever fails to be connected with cold, rational, steely-thinking, well it's just a nice dream. At age 18 I had a propensity to dream a bit and life wasn't bad. Mid-forties i still dream, but now i know how to turn them into realities.

It's got something to do with the relationship between aspiration and perspiration. If I was a WUM aiming to troll a load of sweaty middle-aged runners who were a bit defensive about their own achievements, I might create a persona just like Mike's self-projection here. What I love about this thread, is that I think he's 100% genuine and Nick is 1% more genuine than that

14/08/2012 at 17:31
Tricky Dicky¹ wrote (see)

What I love about this thread, is that I think he's 100% genuine and Nick is 1% more genuine than that

101% isn't enough though is it.  I quite clearly heard a number of Olympians over the past couple of weeks saying that they gave it "110%", often "literally 110%", so that's obviously the benchmark.

14/08/2012 at 17:35

I saw a great Tweet on athletic articulacy last week Phil. It went something like: "Obsession with athletics is ruining adult literacy. Discus"

14/08/2012 at 17:47

Effort inflation is worse than grade inflation.  In my day, 100% effort meant 100% effort...

Nice tweet, TD

14/08/2012 at 18:57

14/08/2012 at 18:59
I say dreams can come true, you sound like you are really focused go for it!
14/08/2012 at 19:18
Shit...I"ve done it again. I've posted an incredibly withering and articulate comment about what a load of rubbish Mike's ill stated ambition is and how feeble and unconsidered are the comments of those who encourage him to follow his dream.

However I deleted it because I didn't want to hurt anybodies feelings.
14/08/2012 at 19:34
The fact remains that 4 years ago Anthony Joshua had never before put on a pair of boxing gloves and less than 7 days ago he won super heavy weight GOLD at the Olympics - no particular articulation required.
14/08/2012 at 19:45
andy the deestrider. wrote (see)
Wow Mike R thats some aspiration you have there, I mean its the pinnacle of the sport, thats serious stuff. I see there has been several comments about your 5k times and the whole Alex Vero thing but at the moment what would a typical training week look like for you? Also when you say your voing to be dedicated does this mean you'll cut out Alchahol and stuff.

At the moment im training around 25mpw, I run 5 times a week and race once a week(workout in itself) so 6 days a week 1 day rest.

Monday - 5mile tempo run

Tuesday - Intervals 

Wednesday - 8mile steady run (haven't started this yet starting tomorrow)

Thursday - 5mile tempo run

Friday - rest

Saturday - parkrun race

Sunday - 5mile steady run

I used to drink a couple years ago as a normal teenager does, but not anymore, haven't touched alcohol in almost 6 months now.

14/08/2012 at 19:47
kiwirunner73 wrote (see)
The fact remains that 4 years ago Anthony Joshua had never before put on a pair of boxing gloves and less than 7 days ago he won super heavy weight GOLD at the Olympics - no particular articulation required.

This! Same story with a few of the rowers. You can't deny that boxing is that much different to running in terms of dedication and natural ability, anthony had the determination and ability and he made it...

14/08/2012 at 19:57

Gareth Edwards 21 wrote (see)
Little Ninja wrote (see)

There's far worse things you could be trying to achieve at 18.

Than trying to become the internets finest troll?

He's not a troll.  The world isn't going to end just because someone's got a huge dream.  Also it's not like Mike is the first young'in that has come on here with a huge 5k goal.

What's the worst thing that can happen? Probably that he'll injure himself but noone else is going to get hurt. Oh and he may piss off a few people who take the time to try and answer his questions and his selective filtering skips good advice.

mike rushton wrote (see)

Wow this topic has made such a stir in only a day, thanks for all your replies. 

I know there's only a very slim chance I will even make the olympic team, I stated that I hope to make it, and am determined to try my best because I was inspired by Mo's performance, theres other factors to consider to, injures, surrounded by the right people etc. 

Im sorry if I offended anyone, I understand everyone here is a keen runner just like me and have worked hard for most of your lives to achieve your targets, I just hope I can achieve mine, no matter how 'unrealistic' they may be, I will do everything in my power to achieve it.

Have a good nights sleep everyone! 

Now Mike - make up your mind - do you want to achieve gold as per your first post or make qualification? 

Edited: 14/08/2012 at 20:01
14/08/2012 at 20:05

To get gold in the olympics you need to qualify, you've got to be in it to win it so everyone has a chance. 

My dream is to win Gold, because thats a bigger achievement than qualifying. 

14/08/2012 at 20:12

A few things...

he's certainly not a troll, and he's not doing this for a reaction.

Boxing is nothing at all like Running

There's a massive difference between fantasising about winning Olympic gold when out running, and actually stating this as an aim.

61 to 80 of 243 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.