My road to Rio

Here goes...

81 to 100 of 243 messages
14/08/2012 at 21:07
Be interesting to know how many boxers our gold-winner needed to be better than to make the team given the specific weight requirement and it being a relatively minor participation sport.
As a comparison to making the Olympic 5k team over thousands of competitive runners, it really isn't one..
14/08/2012 at 22:23

Nah im not trolling, infact I despise trolls, I am being serious.

May I ask for some advice? What pace should you run intervals? Should I run them faster, the same or slower than my current 5k race pace? Im kinda torn on what to do, I want to do what benefits me most.

14/08/2012 at 22:33

Mike - I think you need to read back the advice you have already received - I think this has already been answered. You are not inspiring me now to bet on you for the double!

14/08/2012 at 22:36
Run 'em til you puke. Then do it again.
And again...
And again...
14/08/2012 at 22:44
Mike cheers for the reply by the way, I'm qiute interested in this thread well specifically your future really to be honest. The reason I asked you a specific question about not drinking is because as a 21yr old runner who has a 16:22pb for 5k to my name a fair few people my age that I know have asked me how to get good and an easy way of finding out how much they want sucess is to ask them what there willing to sacrifice, beer, junk food, girlfriends, social life and so on, depending how badly you want it. Also I asked what your typical training week is because I feel you have to take it 1 week at a time to keep perspective on the situation. I myself have run in a North Wales vest a few times but want a wales vest so much that I've made pretty much all the sacrifices there are, and am currently doing about 100mpw, its taken about 4yrs to build up to this level but like you if I dont try then i'll never know.
When you say about your intervals what is a typical session for you because you may be doing them fast enough allready or not enough or to short or whatever. I agree with the others though that boxing is no comparison to running, you just cannot go from couch potato to mo farah in 4yrs its just not possible in that time scale.
Andy
14/08/2012 at 22:45
Tricky dicky I'm sure making yourself sick is counter productive.
14/08/2012 at 23:07

Hi Andy, yeh I agree sacrifices need to be made, depends how much you want it. And wow, 100mpw for a 'recreational' runner? I won't be doing them miles until at least 2 years methinks. 

My interval session is 5 x 1km at 3:40 pace - 5 seconds per K faster than my current 5km pb w/ 200m jog recovery. Should I make my intervals faster, how should I progress it? 

Edited: 14/08/2012 at 23:07
14/08/2012 at 23:30
Safe to say I want it a fair bit, I dont drink, eat rubbish food hardly unless birthday cake, or christmas, I religiously make sure to get enough sleep even having an hour in between runs if needed, probably getting about 12hours a day of sleep. I do take my training pretty seriously to the point where I think of it like something thats a basic part of the day like eating, breathing an so on. I barely compromise on it because when you really want it you have to pretty much consider running well as your number 1 priority. After doing 5k)-16:22. 10k)-34:38. And HM in 1:16:56 people suggested some speed work so 5 weeks ago I started doing 12x400 in 72-75secs with 75 sec walk recoverys. At first it felt hard as hell but its become managable now so I have introduced a tempo sort of run this week, you could probably benefit from VERY VERY GRADUALLY adding slow miles to your training so that as well as improve your pure speed you also learn to be able to keep it going because of increased endurance.
14/08/2012 at 23:35
You may want to think about doing shorter reps of say 400 if it allows you to improve the actual quality of the session.
This morning I did this for example 1.20 1.14 1.13 1.17 1.15 1.15 1.13 1.13 1.14 1.15 1.15 1.15 1.14 I felt I could of gone faster on most of them by a few seconds but then if you cant walk the next day then its not really helping. So I'll keep my session like this for the time being. To focus on my marathon pace workouts.
If I were you and was going to focus on shorter distances then you really dont wanna be doing a marathon at your age its really going to hinder you for the time being.
15/08/2012 at 00:01

I'm getting echoes of the 80s here, the old Coe vs Ovett thing seems to be coming back.

15/08/2012 at 09:03

Andy, did you start off as a 5k speciailist, but then added a huge amount of training?

100miles a week is one hell of an input for the 10k and half times you quote...however, they look pretty soft compared to your 5k time, so should see an improvement soon I'd have thought.

Have you taken advice in ramping up to 100miles a week, or got help in structuring it?

ps Tricky was being ironic...seems the younger generation can't spot this these days!

15/08/2012 at 09:37
I saw Asafa Powell puking in the Michael Johnson doc recently after a hard training session. I know he didn't quite make the grade on the day but I put that down to the ginger beard rahter than the puking.
15/08/2012 at 09:49

to be honest at 21yrs old unless your times are in the 14mins i wouldnt be giving up women and beer.  some things are not worth giving up. 

15/08/2012 at 10:16

I thought it was a black beard with puke in it!

Mike Rushed On - just to give you a perspective of where you are there is a local 16 year old, Abbie Hetherington, who is currently ranked first or second U17 in country at 1500m - she was in local paper last night. Her ultimate dream is to qualify for the Olympic Games not in 4 years time but 8 years time.

This is probably because she has been trying for a long time and knows how hard it is to improve and what a long journey it will be. This year she has run a 2:08 800m and a 4:26 1500m. She trains for 2 hours 6 days a week. However her PB times at both distances have only improved by a second over last year.

Good luck and chase your dream but get some help to pick some achievable short term goals that will give you pleasure and excitement along the way just in case you don't ever get that Olympic Gold.

15/08/2012 at 10:18
Mmm. Post race interviews with Olympic rowers were talking about boatloads of puke. Cyclists said the same. Sure, you don't run with the intention of throwing up, but I'm poetically pointing at the sort of effort levels consistently needed.... To get to Rio. Have you never thrown up after an intense run Andy? I have. Bloody painful it was too and I didn't enjoy it. And I am not even thinking about going to Rio as a spectator.
15/08/2012 at 10:24
Skinny Fetish Fan wrote (see)

Mike Rushed On - just to give you a perspective of where you are there is a local 16 year old, Abbie Hetherington, who is currently ranked first or second U17 in country at 1500m - she was in local paper last night. Her ultimate dream is to qualify for the Olympic Games not in 4 years time but 8 years time.

This is probably because she has been trying for a long time and knows how hard it is to improve and what a long journey it will be. This year she has run a 2:08 800m and a 4:26 1500m. She trains for 2 hours 6 days a week. However her PB times at both distances have only improved by a second over last year.

Has she tried running a parkrun every week?

15/08/2012 at 10:29
But does she really, really want it? I think the X-factor mentality of people standing in front of the camera and saying " I really, really want this more than anything" has a lot to answer for. Talk is cheap.
15/08/2012 at 10:33
Aimed at the OP and definitely not the 16 year old or the Welsh boy btw. Andy's report of his hard 400's this morning are far more impressive than "I really want a zigger zag har" rants.
15/08/2012 at 11:10

The road is long
With many a winding turn
That leads us to who knows where
Who knows when
But I'm strong

15/08/2012 at 11:15
Stevie G . wrote (see)

Andy, did you start off as a 5k speciailist, but then added a huge amount of training?

100miles a week is one hell of an input for the 10k and half times you quote...however, they look pretty soft compared to your 5k time, so should see an improvement soon I'd have thought.

Stevie G - i started off as an average jogger just wanting to run but not really knowing why, first ever run was exactly a mile in 6 mins, like alot of people i made the classic mistake of thinking you have to do every run flat out to get to professional standards ha ha how wrong that approach was after about 5 months of this i had done no official races but did a 10k in training each week "PB"ing with 41 mins, then heard about the Snowdonia marathon, waited till 18yrs old then did it in 4:12 (massive struggle, off of 25-30mpw) over the next 3years the mileage just crept up by the smallest bit each week, it was only when i got to 20 it occured to me that to get good i need to start focusing on specific  10k`s and HM`s then the really good PB`s started to happen.

Stevie G . wrote (see)

Have you taken advice in ramping up to 100miles a week, or got help in structuring it?

No i`ve been self coaching to be honest, though i have been watching these Forums/Threads to pick up any little bits of advice, well that and reading a whole range of Books about successfull people ie Charlie Spedding, Ron hill, Steve jones and the kenyans.

81 to 100 of 243 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.