My road to Rio

Here goes...

141 to 160 of 245 messages
16/08/2012 at 19:14

Nick, I saw you mention elsewhere that you're in your 50s...your style of posting is like you're some mischevious teenager.

Tricky, bad news old bean. The way to look at it, is how you might have been if you hadn't run. You might have been out of shape, and ended up with even worse knees, but without the enjoyment of the running over the years.

Some people have their own pre determined views that they won't change.

I for instance thinks it's grossly unwise when you see those weight goons who are so muscular they can't walk without scraping their arms against their sides. The heart can only take so much surely, and with all that extra bulk to pump around, surely disaster is just round the corner.

And you think us runners are sometimes unbalanced in muscle strength...how many of these weights goons do exactly the right level of work on each key muscle to avoid glaring imbalances...

Edited: 16/08/2012 at 19:16
17/08/2012 at 09:43

Cheers Stevie, nice of you to say

17/08/2012 at 15:39
Stevie G . wrote (see)

Cheeky friggers...me and Simon are buddies from a previous thread, so no stalkies required.

That's enough from you Dancing...unless you're local and around my age, then we can go for a run sometime

Simply indicating that there are multiple powerof10 stalkers on here... Maybe some day.

17/08/2012 at 15:56

StevieG - give it a rest fella.  You were nearly hitting on some poor bloke the other day!

17/08/2012 at 21:52

PP, that wouldn't be a celebration, that would be a world of pain!

Dancing, the thing I find pointless about power of 10 stalking, is that it misses half the races out.  There's a couple of mad stalking dogs on my thread, who love the "head to head" facility.

There's a guy locally I must have lost to about 40 times, yet on power of 10, he's something like 4-0 up!

He's beaten me more than 4 times in one summer series for cripes sake!

Edited: 17/08/2012 at 21:53
17/08/2012 at 23:34

YEAH I KNOW. none off my pbs have been updatded in ages.

20/08/2012 at 11:07

If they don't go up you just need to login and self-submit with a link to the results .

Edited: 20/08/2012 at 11:07
20/08/2012 at 15:30

Good one Nick, will start work on the "bloat up the kids programme" as soon as i get home. I'm much faster than them at the moment, but one has to think long term right? By the time Rio comes round, I should have their BMIs over 30. So even if I've become a decrepit old Zimmer-user, I should be able to get to the remote control before them, to watch Team GB on that telly and keep an eye out for anyone i might know.

20/08/2012 at 20:25

Four years to get a BMI over 30? More like 4 months! Meat pies are the answer.

WiB
20/08/2012 at 20:27

Tricky - As well as ensuring they gain a lot of weight it is probably worth keeping them away from barefoot running. That solves all problems, prevents all injuries and will allow them to run super fast.

WiB
04/09/2012 at 13:48

I just had to bump this, too funny to let it die. Sorry.

04/09/2012 at 15:28

I agree, this thread died out too fast. 

A month ago, I was too 'hyped up' with my progress, and I believed I would carry on improving at that pace, now a month later I realise it gets harder, I talked to a guy called David Kay who is my dads friend and also his former athletics coach. He gave me the same advice to join an athletics club, win some regional titles and we'll see how you go from there. I told him my targets of a sub 17:45 by new year and sub 16:30 in a years time, he told me this is very much achievable as long as I can avoid injury and I progressively keep improving my training.

Everything he mentioned is the same things you guys told me, sorry I didn't listen to you guys sooner.

He also said its impossible for me to make rio 2016, but its possible to make 2020 if I have enough natural talent and Im willing to dedicate, I definitely possess the latter, but the former is still up for debate.

But yes, im starting to realise the huge task that stands before me, if only we could travel through time so I can skip all the hard work that i'll have to do over the next 6-7 years, haha.  

WiB
04/09/2012 at 15:48

8 years if you are going for 2020.

WiB
J1M
17/09/2012 at 08:56
Mike, are you still around?

I know from your post above that 2016 is off for you now but still interested to see if your improving and how.
J1M
seren nos    pirate
17/09/2012 at 08:58

Mike.great post above...........we all get carried away with enthusiasm sometimes..........mature of you to come on and admit you were wrong...this ability to rethink your way forward will help you in the next 8 years.good luck

17/09/2012 at 12:19

Mike, sounds like you're 3/4 of the way there in your thinking now.

The coach seems to have a gentle realism, but massive encouragement side.

I'd still personally say sub 17.45 in 3 1/2months when you've had weeks and weeks in the 18.40-18.45 domain is way too sharp an ask. You've just set that 18.40 as a pb last week, to beat 17.45, you're looking to take 4secs off every week until the end of the year now. It'd be quite different if this was your starting point to take large time off, but that was when you were in the 22s

therefore, it's upto to you to prove us wrong.

sub 18:30 is your next goal. Take it in smaller bites, and savour the achievement along the way.

Edited: 17/09/2012 at 12:21
17/09/2012 at 15:38

Yeh im still around. 

Thanks seren, hopefully your right!

I've hardly improved this last month, maybe because my training has remained the same, im yet to break 30mpw, but will do this week!

Thanks Stevie, and yeh im starting to think 17:45 is a little too optimistic a target for christmas, but we will see, joining a club this week.

Just a little question on the club thing actually, ive printed their application form off and filled it in but I don't know who to hand it to or where to post it, ive gone on to their 'contact' section of their website and tried emailing them(they dont provide a phone number or address), and have had no email back in 2 days. Do I just go to one of their training sessions, give them the form/money and im sorted? I know thats what I did when i joined a footy club. The club is Bolton United Harriers AC fyi. 

17/09/2012 at 16:28

Fair play to you Mike for having the nadgers to come back and update again. Nothing wrong with dreaming big - just keep your feet somewhere near the ground Good luck to you.

17/09/2012 at 16:46

Mike - just go along to the training session and introduce yourself.  Thats what i did

WiB
17/09/2012 at 18:52

Second what Dean says. Pop along to a session and hand it in.

WiB
141 to 160 of 245 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.