Nasty experience

when out running

21 to 24 of 24 messages
13/09/2010 at 18:47
Stevie G . wrote (see)

If someone did that to me I'd take advantage of the split seconds that they're off balance and give them a good shove. Into the bushes they go.

Oh behave Ian, you'd love it
13/09/2010 at 19:19

near me ( miles away from the OP ) there was a spate of cyclists being slapped/pushed off thier cycles by a mad car driver. Original event was a bit of shouting from car to cycle, then random cyclists were slapped/pushed off for a period of a few weeks, ranging over an area of a few square miles. It was only when it was mentioned in a forum that a pattern was noticed,and the Police informed of the whole chain of events. and the idiot caught.

Do report your nutter

Do vary your run start time / direction / speed / clothing / route. Take someone else with you. if you run in expensive skin tight lycra, wear summat loose + inexpensive, so you adjust your apearance hugely. ( or go lycra if you wear baggy clothes.... pop a hat on.)

Don't put a stick in the wheel, it would look dodgy if YOU were stop searched while running round town carrying a big stick.... and won't class as "self defense" if you were pre-meditated enough to carry said stick while expecting trouble. What next ? a gun ? sticks only work if they are a walking stick, or for your dog to catch....no, runners do not need walking sticks....( yet )  and you obvioulsy need a dog for the second

Self defense is a very iffy area. you best weapon is your body. it can run, and when used well, can be far more efective than most people imagine. go to your local gym/sports centre, and enroll on a suitable self def. course to find out. they are really useful ( did one as a kid.... and I'm a bloke ) and help when you least expect it. (Like when i encountered a burglar, while he was raiding our home.) They are about defense, not fighting. First lesson = don't get into the situation. 2nd lesson ? RUN AWAY + RUN AWAY FAST  - as a side bonus, the different workout will help your Core muscles, and vary your training routine.

13/09/2010 at 19:47

The other thing,

Is If you don't do the first 2 bits of self Def. well, and need to get into "fight" mode, well, it's gone wrong already, but remember to LOOK calm + confident - yes, that's hard to do, as inside, you'll be "bricking it" - just think about it.  A Lion picks the weakest Zebra to eat, crims follow that mentality. Looking "Well 'Ard" may just put your wannabe attacker off, calmness confuses them, they think THEY should have the upper hand, and YOU should be scared, BUT, here, YOU are looking calmer, and more confident than the crim. gets them worried, and once you have the balance of power......RUN AWAY  + RUN FAST You wil run faster than you ever imagine, the body is good at finding extra hidden "emergency" power

Always carry a phone, and a bit of cash - ( a £2 coins, not a fiver, coins hurt when they are thrown well, fivers..... don't  -  either can buy a bit of bus fare, even to the next stop, don't have to be all the way home. Busses have CCTV too. ) the phone is to get help with. Your keys are a good weapon if required, but you should never need to use them for that purpose, if you go to the Self. Def. course. Above all, ALWAYS have a pre-planned escape route, from anypoint on your run routes, and a "safe house" be it a chip shop/cafe/library, anywhere you KNOW is safe, and know the bus routes/times too etc. can help if you twist an ankle too, it's not all about the crims in the shadows

It's all about situational awareness - eg don't run past the pub at kicking out time, or in the dark + dingy bits.

Be careful, be confident, but enjoy your running + self def. course

13/09/2010 at 21:22

That's really bad, what an arsehole.

I'll share a story with you that may be helpful. My uncle used to be a solicitor and usually drives a quite nice car (at the time it was a brand new toyota celica). One evening he had stopped at a shop in a rough area and on the way back to the car felt somebody following him. He hurried to the car but they managed to stop him closing the door and he looked up to see three youths with dark hooded tops on trying to steal the car. On the spur of the moment he decided that it was already too late to be able to get away or attract peoples attention but maybe he could scare them off. He decided to act like a total nutter, and being an amateur actor drew on that experience. He screamed abuse at them whilst pretending to attack them. They drew back in shock and it allowed him to drive away and get home, where he could gibber in fearful panic at his own leisure.

Mostly these people are opportunistic idiots and will disappear at the first sign of any serious resistance, but it is worrying that he came back round for a second go. Shame you couldn't kick his wheel or something. Better still if he does it again knock him off his bike, put the boot in, then nick his bike and ride away fast towards the nearest police station

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 24 of 24 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.