night worker runners

coping with night shifts and running

21 to 27 of 27 messages
31/01/2011 at 15:22
Lewis A-B wrote (see)
 Shame about working over Christmas but that's another thread I guess.....

What, you don't enjoy double time??
31/01/2011 at 16:43
i got 5 bank holidays over christmas and am now in the process of having the loft converted! sneakily its the first christmas ive worked in 11yrs so think thats not a bad ratio?
01/02/2011 at 17:00

I worked shifts for 11 years, and in the last couple of years have run around my schedule. I could never run after a shift though because i was knackered.

3am runs in a "lunch break" were my favourite. They kept me more alert afterwards, and meant i was getting paid to train. I also slept because i was physically tired, not just messed up from shifts. 

Am off shifts now though and feel so much better for it. 

Also, the Xmas double time and all that is long gone at my place. BH's are just normal days if you're unlucky enough to be rostered on.....

01/02/2011 at 18:30

I worked night shifts for 10 years and managed to run, but I didnt enjoy it. Could never run after I finished a shift. Had to have a few hours sleep then was ready to go.

I am now completing my first year not having to do nights. Still do earlies and lates but feel so much better not doing nights and manage more runs because I am not so tired.

Made the mistake of going to the gym after a night shift and nearly fell asleep on the bloody treadmill. I stuck to the sit down weights after that...a lot safer!

Try not to work Christmas day but any other BH...I'll take them all!! Until they take my double bubble away that is!

Edited: 01/02/2011 at 18:32
01/02/2011 at 19:09
and the CRTP and SPP! Grr
01/02/2011 at 20:09
Lost my SPP already now that I have changed roles!!  Boo Hiss!
01/02/2011 at 20:18
its one big lottery! rant over.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 27 of 27 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.