Northern Ireland Running

201 to 220 of 20,118 messages
04/04/2005 at 21:27
yes Kenny, i scared myself when i looked on the north down web site and saw my own ugly mug!!

Chris, what about joining club, great if you can get a friendly one, beats always running alone. i go for the social run as i spend all week on my own :-(

***STOP PRESS***

unofficially official tweaked route:

city hall, law courts, ravenhill rd, DOWN ormeau rd, sunnyside st, holy lands, botanic gdns, bradbury pl, sandy row, grosvenor rd, falls, divis st, castle st, royal ave, as it was to end of coastal path, duncrue straight to whitla st, rest as it was too.

still waiting for my no :-((
05/04/2005 at 09:16

Didn't go too well with yesterday's long run - was aiming for 19 but ended up only doing 17 - just suddenly got really really tired at 14 miles and couldn't run through it....is this a bad sign for the marathon? Mind you, the weather was unbelievable - started in rain, then sun, then hailstones....no excuse though

BaldyfromBangor - definitely thinking about a club - any recommendations people want to make on a public forum like this one?
05/04/2005 at 10:02
James Coleraine train on a Monday and Wednesday 6.00 from the Sports Centre at the Uni. We are doing hills in Ballymoney tonight.
Chris have you tried enery gels and do you carry a drink. I find the gels give me a boost when I am feeling tired and once you become dehydrated you start to feel tired.
Do you live in Belfast Chris?
05/04/2005 at 10:28

Kenneth - funnily enough, I was thinking about carrying a drink during yesterday's run - but I do find it awkward - have you tried a belt or anything like that? I live in east Belfast.
05/04/2005 at 10:42
I have a belt which holds a 500ml bottle which I usually fill with Lucozade it has a pocket for a moble phone which holds 2 go gels. I find this a great help on long runs. Takes a bit of getting used to but once your wear it a few times you don't realy notice it. Some people go out the day before and find a safe place to leave drinks. You could also organise your long runs to go past a friends house or carry money and go into a shop. Its important that once you go over 10 miles to have a drink.
There are a number of clubs in Belfast if you look on the Federation website. I don't know them well enough to recomend one. In East Belfast you are not too far from Baldy club North Down in Bangor.
05/04/2005 at 10:44
See you later James.
East Antrim Harriers are in Ballyclare.
05/04/2005 at 14:49
Sorry for the delay Kenneth, I am walking in Dublin. Big scaredy cat that I am!
05/04/2005 at 20:02
Belfast clubs:

willowfield - competitive, not so many of us slower guys

annadale - ditto

north down - bangor, all ages, all abilities, mon night 730pm for fun and frolics!!! www.northdownac.co.uk

lagan valley - mary peters track, friendly and also good set up.

CIYMS - not the busiest
05/04/2005 at 20:05
i tend not to use water except on 20 plus runs where i plank water the night before in bags.

those belts are a personal thing, i cant get used to them.

am starting numbers and times list on the mara thread, oh and a social after :-))
05/04/2005 at 22:40
Hi everybody - I just plod along on my own as it suits - by the time I would drive to a club and back I would have covered 5 miles. However I know I could improve if I was put under pressure to tag along with slightly faster runners - I mean 8.5 min milers. My ambition is sometime to run a marathon under 4 hours. I've completed 8 marathons and 9 half marathons in the last 2 and a 1/2 years. My times don't improve that much, but the are improving slightly.

I did 1 hour on the treadmill tonight whilst watching the Liverpool match. Liverpool's second goal was classy.
06/04/2005 at 09:10
Hi Seamus good result I can't believe that was the same team I went to see on Saturday. Running with a club would help or if you could get some one close to run with about you speed or sligthly faster would also help. Even running with a club once a week can make a big difference. I find when Iam running by myself I tend to run in the comfort zone and don't push myself hard enough. I think you will get close to 4 hours or even break it this year.
06/04/2005 at 10:23
Haven't posted for a while to this thread but wanted to react to the various points about a running club. I've been plodding along on my own too and haven't really been getting any faster. Was a bit scared to join a club as I might not be fast enough. But if you don't join, you'll never get faster as the comfort zone thing is probably true...

Might give Lagan Vally or North Down a go then after my knee has healed. Did my first proper long run of 15 miles and got injured. Hopefully I can still do a relay leg...:-(
07/04/2005 at 16:36
Hi James, think we're all in the same boat with work. (And I'm doing evening classes...) The knee is better today and I will do some cycling walking/running on the treadmill this evening, followed by sports massage. See how that works out.
07/04/2005 at 16:36
Hi James steady run tonight about 7 miles
07/04/2005 at 19:40
Hi everybody. Kenny I doubt if I can crack 4 hours in Belfast - but I'll give it a go. Mind you I always have that intention but at mile 18 -20 its easy to go into the comfort zone again. I find the last hour or so in the marathon draining on the body.

James we'd better meet before the marathon as you'd have a long wait on me after it. Its good to run though. I'm doing the Programme 4 on the Horizon treadmill and its very tough. It goes to gradient 5 at times. I find it a good challenge but I need to be watching football or listening to fast music in order to keep going.

Ian and Chris and Jape Good luck in your training.
07/04/2005 at 19:53
Hi there just joined runners world. I live in Derry and just wondered where everyone is from. Any women out there?
08/04/2005 at 09:32
Hi Calypso I am from Ballymoney and as far as I know we are all males so it will be good to get some female input. Are you training for any races?
Were did our spring weather go to its bitter cold out there. Hope it warms up for Sunday as I plan to do 20 miles.
Hi Jape stick at it when you stop its very hard getting back. Do you find that sports massage helps?
Seamus I think in the marathon a lot of the problems are in the head you have to keep thinking positive and no matter how bad your run is its an achievement to have run the distance. Do you use the treadmill a lot, I find them very boring prefer to be out on the roads.
James have a good weekend have a Guinness for me.
08/04/2005 at 13:03
Hi there Calypso - another female here! I've just joined up to the site too. I'm not in a club - mostly run on my own or sometimes with a friend and currently working my way through the RW Half Marathon schedule to aim for a 2hr Lisburn Half Marathon - last year was my first and did 2hrs 8 mins. Finding the speed sessions a bit tough (and have somehow managed to hurt my hip following my run last night) but I guess I have to do something if I want to improve my times. Booked in for the Great North Run in September too!
08/04/2005 at 14:29
Ah good to hear. I am training for the Great North Run. I have been running steedy now for the past few years but only as a means to keep fit and never really bothered doing more than 5km each time I ran. but at christmas I saw an add for the Great North Run and decided to do it and also raise money for a local charity at the same time.

This will not be my first 1/2 marathon as I did a few in my late teens when I lived in South Africa. but that was over 10 years ago.

I am using the RW training schedule and finding it easy enough.

I will keep you posted.

I have been doing all my running on the treadmill though and I know it isnt the same as running on the road but with the weather we get i wont go out until it clears up a bit.
08/04/2005 at 14:45
Hi VanFan welcome to our forum. I hope to do Lisburn this year. I have run it the last two years and find it a tough enough course. Doing the speed work with your friend may help, it difficult to do on your own but stick at it and you will see thew benifit. The RW schedules are very good, my sister used one last year and ran a PB at the Great North Run.
Good luck with your training.
201 to 220 of 20,118 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.