Northern Ireland Running

221 to 240 of 20,355 messages
08/04/2005 at 22:16
hi all, welcome VF and Calypso

greetings from north down.

Jape you would be most welcome at north down, as would you Chris. Mon nights 7.30, its fun and social and sometimes hard but everyone helps everyone. no airs and graces. From 14 - 64 yrs guys and gals.

email me if you are interested.

Club handicap trail race tomorrow, 3m but lots of hard uphill. Big 22m on sun. intend to do the N'Abbey part of the mara course next week.

happy running
09/04/2005 at 17:27
What you all doin?

had a great run this morning, the club runs a handicap on the trail route in crawfordsburn used for the race in Sept, if youve done it you will know how hard it is, if not come along this year!!

heading out soon to leave my water for tomorrows run at strategic points, hopefully the wind will die down, the north down coast is prettty breezy at he mo.

am also a RW schedule user it has sone me well, down form 3.44 to 3.00 in 2 years of mara running :-))
09/04/2005 at 17:58
KB, thanks for the encouragment. Sports massage helps a bit, if anything it loosens tight muscles. Turns out though I've twisted knee, so I'm off the roads for now. Did an hour treadmill this morning at very slow pace.

Don't want to force it cause main plan this year is New York or Dublin if not accepted for NY. Anybody doing Dublin?

Thanks for invite Baldy. I'm doing evening classes until June and will join up after that (probably means after summer). Work in Dundonald, so should be ok.

Welcome VF and Calypso.
09/04/2005 at 21:32
Welcome, Jape, VF and Calypso. I did a long run of 20 miles today in 3hrs 14 mins. I was happy enough as I was wearing a running jacket over my 'T Shirt'. I think its my best time for a home 20 miler training run.

Ian - That's a great time for a marathon. You must put in the work at training.

Kenny and James - How's the training going?

Good luck to everbody. I've just noticed that the weather this week remains fairly cool.
10/04/2005 at 13:52
Hi everyone did 20 miles this morning weather much better. 3:15 had company for 15 miles last 5 were tough on my own. Keep it going Seamus is this your last 20 before Belfast?
Hope the knee is feeling a bit better Jape. I have not made any plans for the rest of the year waiting to see how I feel after Belfast. Was thinking about the Great South Run (10 miles) in Portsmouth in October as I didn't get into the Great North. Have had a few sports massages will have one the week before the marathon.
How did your 22 miler go Ian?
How was Donegal James will you have recovered for Tuesday night?
Have you been doing anything girls?
10/04/2005 at 13:59
Kenny - You did well in this morning's 20 miler. Its hard to keep pushing yourself during those long runs - I always have it in my mind that I will push much harder it the marathon.

I don't know Kenny - But I might do another 20 miler next weekend. It gives it to be warmer next weekend. I'll definitely do 15 miles.
10/04/2005 at 14:10

Kenny - good going! Lovely day for running. I'm in work today, so long run has to wait until tomorrow. It was very windy running in Belfast on Friday - can't say I'd look forward to running the loughshore in those conditions on May 2, but I suppose we can't choose.
10/04/2005 at 14:40
Chris I am hoping for a cool day with very little wind but whats the chance of that in this country. Heat and wind are two of the thing I dislike.
Any body know what the new course is and is it still flat?
10/04/2005 at 14:44

Kenny - the new route is on the Belfast marathon web-site - but I'm afraid there's a run up the Grosvenor Road.....
Ash
10/04/2005 at 14:56
Hello all. I'm a NI exile currently living near Manchester. Thinking about coming home for good, so grateful for the info on the North Down club (thanks baldy). I've completed a couple of half marathons, but much prefer the 10k distance over 9min mile. Does the club cater for lazier runner like myself? Thanks.
10/04/2005 at 21:19
Ash, we cater for all, ages from 15 - 67 so eeverything goes, no airs and graces with us!!

managed 22 in 2.32 today and twas breezy along the coast. nice ice cold baff after too!!!!

Jape I think i will be doing dublin again, going for the run this year as i am racing cardiff 3 wk before it.

anyone runnign laganside on sunday???
10/04/2005 at 22:31
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!
I was out this evening and did 8 miles at just about 10 min mile pace - bought a heart rate monitor last week so was my first run with it...need to work out the zone thing so I don't keep beeping for miles and miles!

Is the Laganside 10k for all abilities, or can us slower ones come along too?

11/04/2005 at 10:04
Laganside's a 10k and is suitable for all abilities VF, I did too last year and I'm not that fast. I'll not be doing it this year because of the knee but it was well organised.
11/04/2005 at 10:05
Hi VF Langanside 10K has a lot of top runners but there are also quite a few slower runner usually a big field.
I don't think I'll be there.
Your going well Baldy but you looked under pressure in the pic from the handicap race. Is that your last 20 mile + run before the marathon? I have tried the cold baths the wife thinks I am mad.
James you missed a god run yesterday beautiful morning see you tomorrow night
Ash
11/04/2005 at 18:37
Flipin heck you guys, your training is serious stuff, well done! Think you need to find the balance, with some of the Goldschlager approach mentioned above (like it!). When is the marathon?
11/04/2005 at 21:46
Ash mara will be over 3wks today and we will be drinking again:-))

Laganside 10k is a great run for all, its a big crowd so you get pulled along no matter what your ability. Its 100% FLAT so good for those looking a PB:-))

Oh and its after the FLM too so you get to sit and watch that all morning first.

Kenny handicap was tough, i presume you know the course!! The wee guy in the picture had 7 mins start on me over 3m. He pushed me to the end. It would not be so bad but i train him on a mon night!!
11/04/2005 at 22:24
Hi everybody - You all seem to be doing well.

James those 'goldschalgers' would be very useful in the last 6 miles of the marathon - the sugar in them would give plenty of energy and the gold could be used to motivate to lift a gold medal.

I did 47 miles last week with a long run of 20 miles. I think I'l do similar milage this week and maybe another 20 mile long run.

Best of luck to everybody.
12/04/2005 at 09:23
Baldy I know what its like in those handicap races. When we run them I aways one of the first off and you push like hell to try and get as far as possible before anyone can catch you. I was laeding one only to be caught on the line but I had nothing left.
Is it me or do other runners get twinges close to a marathon. Looking forward to a couple of pints after the run.
I had a good run at Laganside a few years ago good flat course plenty of runners so you are never running on your own and tend to help you get round faster.
Seamus I ran 57 miles last week thinking about doing a 15 on Sunday and then starting to taper is it too close to the marathon to do another 20.
13/04/2005 at 10:23
Hi James training went well last night. We did the fartlek Baldy was talking about a couple of weeks ago 1,2,4,2,1 mins on 1 min jog recovery, 3min jog and repeat. We only 2 pyramids I think Baldy did 3. On Sunday I will be doing 14 miles. Are you interest in doing the Feet across the Foyle 10K on Saturday (2x5K races at Magilligan and Greencastle).
13/04/2005 at 11:20
Paul and I are going we have to be in Magilligan for 11.00 to catch the ferry first race at 12.00 in Greencastle 2nd race at approx 1.30 in Magilligan.
Hows the training going?
221 to 240 of 20,355 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.